Used 2003 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

2003 Ford ZX2 Deluxe
By Aaron43

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my zx2. Its a great running car. Its comfortable, reliable, and it looks good too.

Favorite Features

Leather, cd player, moonroof, keyless entry, alloy rims.

Suggested Improvements

It idles rough at stop lights and I know that it is very common with these, but there has got to be a way to fix it. They should definately start making these again. Maybe ford wouldnt be hurting for money so badly.

Bring 'em Back, Ford!!
By zx2mom

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd zx2 (all leased as new, in 1997, 2000 & 2003. When I found out this is the last year, I bought it. So sad that this will be my last, I love this car! As already noted several times, the rough idle is a drawback. The steering wheel sometimes vibrates so hard at a stoplight that my hands get tingly. But since that is my only complaint, I can live with it. The most comfortable seat I've ever seen (felt) in a small car, it fits like a glove, with great lumbar support. I do think of it as a sports car, I've never subjected anyone to having to ride in the back seat, it just seemes too cramped, although it would probably be fine if you have kids.

Favorite Features

Good milage, low maintenance, it can really step out and looks good doing it.

Suggested Improvements

The rough idling, of course, and more importantly the fact they aren't being made anymore. The dealer told me the Focus is a good substitute. Oh, please spare me that garbage!

Love it!
By wayne

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 ZX2 a few months ago because I needed a more reliable and economical vehicle. It more than met my expectations. It's the first 4cyl I've had and I'm suprised by the power. I couldn't find one with a 6 speed option. That's my only complaint but the mileage is great and the power is suprising. I'm sure I'll be driving this car for many years.

Favorite Features

Alloy wheels, interior.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed option!

By Jennie Graham

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my ZX2 in 2004 with 39000 miles on it. It now has 53000 miles on it. It has been a very reliable car and I have had not one mechanical problem with it. It does idle rough. I love the sporty style and it is fun to drive and is good on gas. I wish Ford would build these cars again because I would love to purchase a new one.

Favorite Features

I love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

The rough idle is the only thing I would like to have fixed.

Best gas mileage is at 60 mph
By Tom P.

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car 100 miles a day. My best gas mileage is at 60 mph. 40.1 mpg at that speed with the A/C off and 37.6 with it on. This car gets 33 mpg at 80 mph withthe A/C on and mpg increase as you slow down. I've owened this car since it was new. I bought it with 6 miles on it I have put 149,994 miles on this car and it has yet to leave me walking. It is a small car and has very good looks for a small car. Its roomy in side and not bad on long trips. I've driven it will 3 other adults in for over 4 hours. The trunk is very big for a car of this size. The rearseat folds down and I've put 4 8ft 4x4 in side the car. I do not know why Ford quit making them with gas prices as high as they are.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission. Nice power for small engine. Very low maintenance. I put a A/C compressor in the car in 150000 miles. Very dependable car.