Used 2003 Ford Escort ZX2 Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great first car
By zx2 in IL

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive on average 600 miles a week, so I've put this car through its paces. I love it. It gets great gas mileage, looks great, runs like a dream. Some people complain about the vibration or the engine volume; but I really don't notice it. My only complaints are that with a 2003 it's hard to find replacement parts if your girlfriend puts it in the ditch trying to drive in six inches of snow.

Favorite Features

body style, gas mileage, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Its a little light for heavy snow but what compact car isn't.

Domestic Sleeper
By Kenniff

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's always fun watching imports pull up, and not only find out they are slower, but don't get better mpg. I can fit 3 people and luggage for a week in it and still get 35 mpg hwy. New fascia reduces cute factor, and increases enthusiast curiosity. Have aftermarket tires, rims, muffler, air intake, etc. and I never think its a rocket, nor can I hear it 3 towns away. Sure, larger people will want to avoid driving, but were not all lineman here! Although the car was well worth the 11 large, kind of wish I didn't have to install an armrest. Nonetheless, this car has more range than one might expect, as I can drive from Tampa to Miami, and still drive around the city; Fords the best US maker

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy, inexpensive, muscular yet understated styling, quicker than a last gen civic si, not seeing your car every 2 blocks, helping Uncle Sam and not out of pity.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter at idle, paint on undercarriage spare tire confounds tailgaters, 10 more hp & lb/ft would be nice, a 5 or 6 speed auto and mans trans option, an armrest, more aftermarket options, wish they still made it, jealous of euro escort!

escort zx2
By zx2driver

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in Jan 1999. It's a fun car to drive, it's been really reliable, it looks better than the focus does. It's pretty quick, but a turbocharged zx2 would be awesome. It can be awkward to work on because of the the design, but it's nice.

Favorite Features

the overall design (though i've seen newer designs in which the front end is changed - that didn't turn out good at all) and the pick-up since i have a manual transmission (i heard the autos were a bit sluggish), i'd recommend the turbo... it'd be amazing.

Suggested Improvements

turbocharge the design for the s/rs, and make more, either add a 6th gear or change the gear ratio so highway driving is improved with the standard transmission.

Good Teenage Car
By Babygirlmegz

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good Car, Reliable, a good little car for a student to have

Favorite Features

Sunroof, cd player, easy to use everything, and the safety features

Suggested Improvements

A center consoul, some sort of arm rest would be good. When you open the sunroof, like the driver window, tap it and it automatically goes back.

The Idle
By zx2owner

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for over a year now, and while it is fun to drive and rather reliable, there is one concern I have about the automobile. I recently took the ZX2 into the dealer ship for a vibration in the steering wheel (well actually the whole car) when I am at a complete stop. I was told that all the ZX2s have the same problem, and that it just "idles hard" since it is a four cylinder engigne. However, many automobiles are four cylinders and do not recieve the same problem. I was told there was nothing that could be done to alleviate the problem.

Favorite Features

The interior of the ZX2 is rather comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issue with the vibration.