Used 2003 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

A great little car
By mark_s3

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new (13 miles) and drove it 143,000+ miles. I love this car. Got standard transmision that makes it even more fun to drive. Vibrations from the motor can be rough in idle, but it's not too bad. Gets 34 MPG in stop and go traffic. Very comfortable inside and sporty outside. Never had a machanical problem with it, and it's been very dependable. The ride is very smooth even after all those miles. Plan to drive it until the wheels fall off! It is MY car! **Sorry for any misspellings**

Favorite Features

Cruise Control, Power Windows, Keyless Entry, Powered side windows, Manual transmission (5 on the floor), Heated back window.

Suggested Improvements

The model is discontenued? Bring it back! The window over the speedometer rattles when the car is warming up. Car can eat tires, and gets misaligned easy, needs constent alignment. CD Player won't play CD-R media (sound great with FM, XM (via FM Transmitter) or Music CDs. All these are minor issues really.

Interior Room
By targetshooter

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am 6'2 / 260 and I fit just fine. I drive it on long trips and the seats are fine. Great get you there car with enough power to handle what you run into.

Favorite Features

I like the entire car

Suggested Improvements

I like the entire car!

Cheap and fun
By Admiraltogo

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the ZX2 as basic commuter transportation. With a $2,000 rebate offered by the dealer the price was a steal. I've found the ZX2 to be a very fun car to drive (I drive 80 miles a day, on mostly country roads). It has also been trouble free. I have to fight my wife to drive it on some days (she drives our GM truck).

Won't buy another one
By De

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 1999 ZX2 jerks when going slow such as a slow take off or stop n go on the frwy. Service Mgr told me thats normal. Feels like it wants to stall. Taken it in 7 times. No leg room in back seat and if you'te tall your head hits the top of the car. Air conditioner stopped working at 35,000. Good on gas, reliable. Great take off. The jerking has turned me off. Can feel like I'm learning to drive a stick and can't balance the gas and clutch. Other than that - it's okay.

Favorite Features

Sporty without the cost of being sporty (including insurance). Reliable, great on gas. Great take off.

Suggested Improvements

Can't believe they sell a car knowing it jerks (or is Serv Mgr full of it because they don't want to fix the transmission?) More head room in the back for passengers. Design cup holders to hold large large cups from BK, McD's, etc so they don't tilt and spill.

ZX2 Automatic
By ronalt

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Vehicle has lots of engine noise. Seating is very comfortable up front, but back seat is small. Car has plenty of power, and it will scat.

Favorite Features

Ride and handles good.

Suggested Improvements

Less engine noise.