Used 2003 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Approaching 200,000 and counting
By rimrocks@hotmail.com

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my ZX2 new because I needed a car and this one fit my budget at the time. I had intended on keeping it 2 to 3 years and then trading up. Needless to say that was quite some time ago and I have no plans on getting rid of it yet. It is dependable, economical, and fun to drive. I drive in the mountains and the 5 speed manual transmission is a real kick. We go over a mountain pass to Yellowstone Park and the ZX2 handles it well enough to have the Harleys pull over to let me pass. I have done minimal repairs to it and do not expect that to change.

A great little car
By mark_s3

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new (13 miles) and drove it 143,000+ miles. I love this car. Got standard transmision that makes it even more fun to drive. Vibrations from the motor can be rough in idle, but it's not too bad. Gets 34 MPG in stop and go traffic. Very comfortable inside and sporty outside. Never had a machanical problem with it, and it's been very dependable. The ride is very smooth even after all those miles. Plan to drive it until the wheels fall off! It is MY car! **Sorry for any misspellings**

Cruise Control, Power Windows, Keyless Entry, Powered side windows, Manual transmission (5 on the floor), Heated back window.

The model is discontenued? Bring it back! The window over the speedometer rattles when the car is warming up. Car can eat tires, and gets misaligned easy, needs constent alignment. CD Player won't play CD-R media (sound great with FM, XM (via FM Transmitter) or Music CDs. All these are minor issues really.

Great first car
By zx2 in IL

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive on average 600 miles a week, so I've put this car through its paces. I love it. It gets great gas mileage, looks great, runs like a dream. Some people complain about the vibration or the engine volume; but I really don't notice it. My only complaints are that with a 2003 it's hard to find replacement parts if your girlfriend puts it in the ditch trying to drive in six inches of snow.

body style, gas mileage, fun to drive

Its a little light for heavy snow but what compact car isn't.

Good Car
By Lauren

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this car as a graduation gift and it definitely was not my choice car, but anyways it drives really well and its fun to drive. It is as basic as a car can get, no power anything, no cruise control, etc. I feel like it will last me so many more years, i feel safe in this car. The only major complaint is how hard it vibrates the entire car when idling. So although it doesn't have a lot of fun gadgets, it's reliable and a good first car.

Cruise control, sunroof, definitely stop the extreme vibrating when idling.

Domestic Sleeper
By Kenniff

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's always fun watching imports pull up, and not only find out they are slower, but don't get better mpg. I can fit 3 people and luggage for a week in it and still get 35 mpg hwy. New fascia reduces cute factor, and increases enthusiast curiosity. Have aftermarket tires, rims, muffler, air intake, etc. and I never think its a rocket, nor can I hear it 3 towns away. Sure, larger people will want to avoid driving, but were not all lineman here! Although the car was well worth the 11 large, kind of wish I didn't have to install an armrest. Nonetheless, this car has more range than one might expect, as I can drive from Tampa to Miami, and still drive around the city; Fords the best US maker

Great fuel economy, inexpensive, muscular yet understated styling, quicker than a last gen civic si, not seeing your car every 2 blocks, helping Uncle Sam and not out of pity.

Quieter at idle, paint on undercarriage spare tire confounds tailgaters, 10 more hp & lb/ft would be nice, a 5 or 6 speed auto and mans trans option, an armrest, more aftermarket options, wish they still made it, jealous of euro escort!