2003 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
A great little car
By mark_s3 on 04/30/11 11:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new (13 miles) and drove it 143,000+ miles. I love this car. Got standard transmision that makes it even more fun to drive. Vibrations from the motor can be rough in idle, but it's not too bad. Gets 34 MPG in stop and go traffic. Very comfortable inside and sporty outside. Never had a machanical problem with it, and it's been very dependable. The ride is very smooth even after all those miles. Plan to drive it until the wheels fall off! It is MY car! **Sorry for any misspellings**

Great first car
By zx2 in IL on 08/07/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive on average 600 miles a week, so I've put this car through its paces. I love it. It gets great gas mileage, looks great, runs like a dream. Some people complain about the vibration or the engine volume; but I really don't notice it. My only complaints are that with a 2003 it's hard to find replacement parts if your girlfriend puts it in the ditch trying to drive in six inches of snow.

Good Car
By Lauren on 06/22/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this car as a graduation gift and it definitely was not my choice car, but anyways it drives really well and its fun to drive. It is as basic as a car can get, no power anything, no cruise control, etc. I feel like it will last me so many more years, i feel safe in this car. The only major complaint is how hard it vibrates the entire car when idling. So although it doesn't have a lot of fun gadgets, it's reliable and a good first car.

Domestic Sleeper
By Kenniff on 04/05/10 02:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's always fun watching imports pull up, and not only find out they are slower, but don't get better mpg. I can fit 3 people and luggage for a week in it and still get 35 mpg hwy. New fascia reduces cute factor, and increases enthusiast curiosity. Have aftermarket tires, rims, muffler, air intake, etc. and I never think its a rocket, nor can I hear it 3 towns away. Sure, larger people will want to avoid driving, but were not all lineman here! Although the car was well worth the 11 large, kind of wish I didn't have to install an armrest. Nonetheless, this car has more range than one might expect, as I can drive from Tampa to Miami, and still drive around the city; Fords the best US maker

Awesome little car
By Jackie on 07/06/09 23:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it had 14,000 mi. It now has over 100,000. Now a friend was driving it and has wrecked it, was so upset. I never had to change or repair a single thing on the car except a set of tires. Not once did it ever break down. Only complaint is the idling, which is normal for these cars.

2003 Ford ZX2 Deluxe
By Aaron43 on 03/28/09 23:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my zx2. Its a great running car. Its comfortable, reliable, and it looks good too.

Bring 'em Back, Ford!!
By zx2mom on 03/17/09 06:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd zx2 (all leased as new, in 1997, 2000 & 2003. When I found out this is the last year, I bought it. So sad that this will be my last, I love this car! As already noted several times, the rough idle is a drawback. The steering wheel sometimes vibrates so hard at a stoplight that my hands get tingly. But since that is my only complaint, I can live with it. The most comfortable seat I've ever seen (felt) in a small car, it fits like a glove, with great lumbar support. I do think of it as a sports car, I've never subjected anyone to having to ride in the back seat, it just seemes too cramped, although it would probably be fine if you have kids.

Love it!
By wayne on 09/03/08 14:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 ZX2 a few months ago because I needed a more reliable and economical vehicle. It more than met my expectations. It's the first 4cyl I've had and I'm suprised by the power. I couldn't find one with a 6 speed option. That's my only complaint but the mileage is great and the power is suprising. I'm sure I'll be driving this car for many years.

By Jennie Graham on 08/26/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my ZX2 in 2004 with 39000 miles on it. It now has 53000 miles on it. It has been a very reliable car and I have had not one mechanical problem with it. It does idle rough. I love the sporty style and it is fun to drive and is good on gas. I wish Ford would build these cars again because I would love to purchase a new one.

Best gas mileage is at 60 mph
By Tom P. on 08/09/08 22:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car 100 miles a day. My best gas mileage is at 60 mph. 40.1 mpg at that speed with the A/C off and 37.6 with it on. This car gets 33 mpg at 80 mph withthe A/C on and mpg increase as you slow down. I've owened this car since it was new. I bought it with 6 miles on it I have put 149,994 miles on this car and it has yet to leave me walking. It is a small car and has very good looks for a small car. Its roomy in side and not bad on long trips. I've driven it will 3 other adults in for over 4 hours. The trunk is very big for a car of this size. The rearseat folds down and I've put 4 8ft 4x4 in side the car. I do not know why Ford quit making them with gas prices as high as they are.