2002 Ford Escort Consumer Review: Really great car for the cost

2002 Ford Escort - Consumer Review

ZX2 Deluxe Coupe (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Really great car for the cost
By sheajay on

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Ford ZX2 (5-speed) since 2004. I bought it used with 43k miles and am trading it in tomorrow with over 156,000 miles on it. Overall, it has been a GREAT car and I wish I could keep it but my needs have changed and I need to get a car with more trunk space. I think the car has broken down twice- once the fuel pump went out and the other time was a timing belt I put off replacing & it broke. The engine was great and I consider the car to be reliable overall. Also it was great in snow w/all-season tires. I never even had to recharge the A/C or buy a new battery. Great budget car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage at 30mpg average. Good features- 6 cd player, premium auto, a/c, moon roof, alloy wheels, keyless entry, power windows & locks. It's a fun 5-speed to drive.

Suggested Improvements

No ABS and the braking performance was never that great. Back side window leaked in automatic car wash. Acceleration with a/c on was sluggish as does in most small engine cars. Difficult back-seat access- not built for car-seats or frequent backseat riders.