2002 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Totally Satisfied
By JasonAtCSU on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched my new car purchase for two months before I made a move. I wanted into a Subaru, but my college kid budget wouldn't let me. I was looking to stay in a sporty 2-door with good mileage. The ZX2 has come through -- cheaper than the comparable Chevy Cavalier and every import (except Hyundai, but we won't go there). Premium package has great sound, comfy seats. Great power on the Interstate, great mileage, just a great car!

Keep ZX2 In Production!
By jpeno on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned escort sedans since 1997 for use as a commuter car and they have proved to be the most reliable car I have ever owned with virtually zero problems. I purchased my first ZX2 after driving a friends and find it to be one of the most fun to drive, best looking, reliable, and cost effective vehicle on the road today! FORD - please keep the ZX2 in production at least until you produce a good replacement for the Focus. Currently, the ZX2 beats the focus in every category. Thank you Ford, for the ZX2.

No Contest
By 2002ZX2man on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove the Focus SE Comfort and the ZX2 Premium, and walked out with the ZX2. Great for single men after college-turns a lot of chicks' heads. I'm not sure why it's getting such bad reviews. Handles great, economically sound, eye-catching. All-around the best car I could ever have bought.

I must have got a lemon
By Katwman on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 1998 XZ2 in the spring of 1997. I have had continual problems with the brake system throughout the life of the car. I've had it back to the dealer at least 5 times for the same intermittant clunking noise, that the dealer can't seem to pin down. I've gone through two sets of rotors in 40,000 miles. In April of this year, the timing belt jumped off, for no known reason, to the tune of $700 repair work (it is out of warranty). That should not have happened at only 38,000 miles. The radio on-off switch is malfunctioning, half the time the radio won't shut off.

well kept secret
By jonsid on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my 2002 ZX2 loaded with all options except leather seats. The dealer traveled 200 miles to get one with ABS for me. Handling is exceptional with virtually no body roll while cornering. Pickup is brisk and super on the hills in these mountains. Ride is quieter than my Mitsubishi Mirage and Ford put all controls within easy reach. I can't wait to see what I get for gas mileage.

FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET
By BILL21 on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

THIS IS THE BEST 2 DR COUPE FORD HAS EVER MADE, THEY SHOULD SCRAP THE FOCUS ZX3. THE ZX2 NEEDS TO BE KEPT IN PRODUCTION AND REFINED OVER THE YEARS. IT HAS A CLASSIC STYLE WHICH WILL WEAR WELL. THIS CAR HAS MUCH IN COMMON WITH THE ORIGINIAL 65 MUSTANG. THE FOCUS ALREADY HAS A REPUTATION FOR POOR WORKMANSHIP. I HAVE NEVER KNOWN A ZX2 OWNER WITH ANY SIGNIFIGANT PROBLEMS!!

Fun with UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS
By d57 on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good buy, a nice balance of performance and economy for the dollar. The seats are miserably uncomfortable (way too soft, like sitting on a sponge)... I had to remove the 2002 seats and replace them with the seats from my old 1995 Escort...

Cheap, sporty, fun!
By zx2 on 03/03/02 14:10 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is a 99. Great build quality, very peppy, engine pulls very strongly,quick steering, good looking exterior and interior. Smooth ride for a small car. Car has a battery saver. Good snow traction even with the optional 15 inch Eagle GA's. Car is very easy to drive and control. Rumored to be just as fast the Focus SVT. Magazines rate 0-60 7.4 - 7.8 seconds. Great gas mileage I get 29mpg minimum in the town. I have the 5 speed. Zx2 is very reliable. This car is cheap and fun.

What A Bargain!
By chas10657 on 03/02/02 12:04 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my ZX2 since April of 1998 and have put 60000 miles on it. What a fun car to drive! I got a 5 speed and it really performs when you keep it over 4000 RPMs. You seem to love the ZX3, but my ZX2 is much more attractive than that ugly Focus and ,from what I hear at the local dealer, much more reliable. Good lookin',great mileage,reliable,inexpensive, and FUN!

one hullavu car
By jmdz06 on 03/01/02 14:39 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my 98 zx2 with 50k plus miles on it. ive had it now for about 18 months and all i can say is: ford has a winner! i have not had a single problem with it. the best part of the car is when you tell someone you bought an excort and their jaw hits the floor when they see it. Thats not an escort! Oh yes it is, and it's MORE reliable than grandma's apple pie!