Used 2002 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Most Helpful|
great car
By fordman62702

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had one of these for 4 years and 35,000 miles until someone hit me and tore the front end off, spinning me around and deploying the airbags. I walked away unscathed, The car surprised me by taking a hit that well. Tough little car. Was fun to drive, cheap to maintain, great MPG. Interior held up well. Not the most comfortable for highway cruises, to be expected. The car only left me stranded twice, a tie rod end broke at 100,000 miles (that could have been bad) and a loose grounding block on the negative battery cable kept it from starting (thought it was the fuel pump at first, phew) Lots of good forums and info out there on these cars, take advantage.

Favorite Features

Folding rear seats, Liked the simplicity... Roll up windows, manual door locks, stick shift, i.e. not much to go wrong and no "button overload"

Home Run for Ford
By Josh

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 02 in 2006 with 17000 miles on it for $4500; it's loaded with every option. Now there are 58000 miles on it with nothing other than oil changes. This car can't be beat for the price, performance, and reliability. The lowest mileage I have ever had was 29 and that was in Houston traffic. On the highway 37-40 isn't unusual. Hands down, this is one of the most reliable models Ford has produced. There have been no recalls, yet Ford never really marketed this car at all. If you get the chance at least take it for a test drive. I never thought that I would end up in a four cylinder coupe - I was driving a 79 Bonneville - but I really love my car.

Favorite Features

This is my first car that has had every option available, I love the leather seats, the moonroof, the manual tranny, and the CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the windows, every time it rains, even a little bit, the water runs inside. Other than that I have no problems.

Value Priced, Get What You Pay For
By ehauser

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 2001. Great value, decent gas mileage, but you get what you pay for. Several issues with this car. First off, there is a terrible vibration at idle, which from what I have found is a problem that cannot be fixed. Due to this, there are cracks in the dash and even the bumper, which will need replacing soon now. At around 50,000 miles the blower went out, around 80,000 the cruise control went. Have also been getting an intermittent service engine soon light. Have changed oil and rotated tires every 5000 miles. The car only has 3 cup holders, two of which are placed in front of your A/C controls and one that is not usable if you are using the DC outlet.

Favorite Features

Price, gas mileage. Sporty looking.

Suggested Improvements

Fix vibration issue. More cup holders with better placement. (there is ample space in the doors) Center console would be nice, although I know that deters from the sporty look. Also radio is designed so it cannot be replaced with an aftermarket.

Really great car for the cost
By sheajay

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Ford ZX2 (5-speed) since 2004. I bought it used with 43k miles and am trading it in tomorrow with over 156,000 miles on it. Overall, it has been a GREAT car and I wish I could keep it but my needs have changed and I need to get a car with more trunk space. I think the car has broken down twice- once the fuel pump went out and the other time was a timing belt I put off replacing & it broke. The engine was great and I consider the car to be reliable overall. Also it was great in snow w/all-season tires. I never even had to recharge the A/C or buy a new battery. Great budget car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage at 30mpg average. Good features- 6 cd player, premium auto, a/c, moon roof, alloy wheels, keyless entry, power windows & locks. It's a fun 5-speed to drive.

Suggested Improvements

No ABS and the braking performance was never that great. Back side window leaked in automatic car wash. Acceleration with a/c on was sluggish as does in most small engine cars. Difficult back-seat access- not built for car-seats or frequent backseat riders.

"ong lasting
By JACK BLEAM

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new back in summer '02 brand new from ac collins dealership. It was fun to drive, loved everything about it too but after about 7 years it's time to let go,

Favorite Features

over all look inside and out very cool at the time and the pick up was great. Oh and the keyless entry i guess and the frameless window i liked that made it a little more sporty

Suggested Improvements

just the vibrate while at red lights, but it was very common for theses cars