2002 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
great car
By fordman62702 on 03/29/13 12:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had one of these for 4 years and 35,000 miles until someone hit me and tore the front end off, spinning me around and deploying the airbags. I walked away unscathed, The car surprised me by taking a hit that well. Tough little car. Was fun to drive, cheap to maintain, great MPG. Interior held up well. Not the most comfortable for highway cruises, to be expected. The car only left me stranded twice, a tie rod end broke at 100,000 miles (that could have been bad) and a loose grounding block on the negative battery cable kept it from starting (thought it was the fuel pump at first, phew) Lots of good forums and info out there on these cars, take advantage.

Really great car for the cost
By sheajay on 08/03/11 01:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Ford ZX2 (5-speed) since 2004. I bought it used with 43k miles and am trading it in tomorrow with over 156,000 miles on it. Overall, it has been a GREAT car and I wish I could keep it but my needs have changed and I need to get a car with more trunk space. I think the car has broken down twice- once the fuel pump went out and the other time was a timing belt I put off replacing & it broke. The engine was great and I consider the car to be reliable overall. Also it was great in snow w/all-season tires. I never even had to recharge the A/C or buy a new battery. Great budget car.

Value Priced, Get What You Pay For
By ehauser on 03/29/10 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 2001. Great value, decent gas mileage, but you get what you pay for. Several issues with this car. First off, there is a terrible vibration at idle, which from what I have found is a problem that cannot be fixed. Due to this, there are cracks in the dash and even the bumper, which will need replacing soon now. At around 50,000 miles the blower went out, around 80,000 the cruise control went. Have also been getting an intermittent service engine soon light. Have changed oil and rotated tires every 5000 miles. The car only has 3 cup holders, two of which are placed in front of your A/C controls and one that is not usable if you are using the DC outlet.

"ong lasting
By JACK BLEAM on 03/19/10 00:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new back in summer '02 brand new from ac collins dealership. It was fun to drive, loved everything about it too but after about 7 years it's time to let go,

ZX2 fun
By bulli on 11/24/09 07:39 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car alot. i bought it for cheap with low miles. i did have some problems such as misfiring when cold but after a tune up, pcv valve replacment, fuel system cleaner, new fuel filter. the car runs great. shifts great with pennzoil synchromesh in the trans. Its just a great car al together for the money. Better then any old rusted civic that is for sure.

Excellent ZX2
By didi4349 on 10/10/07 10:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car far exceeded expectations. No mechanical problems, has all the bells & whistles-moon roof, etc. I have gotten over 40 mpg on trips. The only problem with Fords is the cars develop a rattle that Toyotas do not have. I love this car, fun to drive and handles well.

Home Run for Ford
By Josh on 07/20/07 22:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 02 in 2006 with 17000 miles on it for $4500; it's loaded with every option. Now there are 58000 miles on it with nothing other than oil changes. This car can't be beat for the price, performance, and reliability. The lowest mileage I have ever had was 29 and that was in Houston traffic. On the highway 37-40 isn't unusual. Hands down, this is one of the most reliable models Ford has produced. There have been no recalls, yet Ford never really marketed this car at all. If you get the chance at least take it for a test drive. I never thought that I would end up in a four cylinder coupe - I was driving a 79 Bonneville - but I really love my car.

Not bad
By Mike on 04/22/07 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Looking back, I probably should have bought a Civic or Corolla, but this car has been good basic transportation. As long as you keep up the maintenance, it is a very reliable car. I've had to replace a wheel bearing, but other than that, just basics like tires, filters, etc. Still gets great gas mileage (25-30) and drives smooth. Complaints: Noisy, no armrest, and totally unacceptable amounts of vibration when the car is in Drive and idling. It doesn't vibrate any other time, but at a stop light the thing feels like its about to come unhinged. I guess I didn't notice it during the test drive. Quality fuel, and on time fuel filter changes keep it to a minimum. Overall - Fair.

Awesome Car
By Mopar08 on 11/14/06 18:25 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hello. I am a junior in high school and needed a car by the time school came around for various activities. I have a white deluxe edition ZX2. I love it. I live 18 miles from school and this car is awesome on fuel mileage. I was getting about 30-33 mpg when I first got the car in August. However, after replacing the oil with Mobil 1 I now get 31-37 mpg. It has 96,700 miles and the only work done was replacing a wire. The only complaint I have is rough shifting when it is cold outside.

Sweet Car
By J on 01/11/06 12:27 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my ZX2 in November with 17,000 miles on it. It came loaded with everything; leather seats, cruise control, 6 disc cd player, and a sunroof. My car also has the 5 speed transmission. This is an absolutely amazing car; it has power to spare and looks good too. Mine just hit 21,000 miles on a trip to Texas from Pennsylvania ... it ran superbly. I averaged over 40mpg the whole trip! I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a quality car (there have been NO recalls), with performance, and good looks for not a lot of cash.