2002 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Really great car for the cost
By sheajay on 08/03/11 01:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Ford ZX2 (5-speed) since 2004. I bought it used with 43k miles and am trading it in tomorrow with over 156,000 miles on it. Overall, it has been a GREAT car and I wish I could keep it but my needs have changed and I need to get a car with more trunk space. I think the car has broken down twice- once the fuel pump went out and the other time was a timing belt I put off replacing & it broke. The engine was great and I consider the car to be reliable overall. Also it was great in snow w/all-season tires. I never even had to recharge the A/C or buy a new battery. Great budget car.

Depreciating Asset
By ZX2NOT on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I actually purchased the automatic deluxe model and wish I had the manual transmission. This car is extremely under powered. Both window seals leak air when driving at highway speeds. The engine vibrates severely at stoplights due to faulty engine mounts (Per Ford Service Techs) The body style is great, good handling, dependable, but - lacks horsepower, expect HUGE depreciation loss! I Tried trading in my 2002 ZX2 for something better but found out that it had depreciated 60% in 4 months. Most dealers only offer $7,000 tops on trade.