Used 2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Really great car for the cost
By sheajay

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Ford ZX2 (5-speed) since 2004. I bought it used with 43k miles and am trading it in tomorrow with over 156,000 miles on it. Overall, it has been a GREAT car and I wish I could keep it but my needs have changed and I need to get a car with more trunk space. I think the car has broken down twice- once the fuel pump went out and the other time was a timing belt I put off replacing & it broke. The engine was great and I consider the car to be reliable overall. Also it was great in snow w/all-season tires. I never even had to recharge the A/C or buy a new battery. Great budget car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage at 30mpg average. Good features- 6 cd player, premium auto, a/c, moon roof, alloy wheels, keyless entry, power windows & locks. It's a fun 5-speed to drive.

Suggested Improvements

No ABS and the braking performance was never that great. Back side window leaked in automatic car wash. Acceleration with a/c on was sluggish as does in most small engine cars. Difficult back-seat access- not built for car-seats or frequent backseat riders.

Depreciating Asset
By ZX2NOT

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I actually purchased the automatic deluxe model and wish I had the manual transmission. This car is extremely under powered. Both window seals leak air when driving at highway speeds. The engine vibrates severely at stoplights due to faulty engine mounts (Per Ford Service Techs) The body style is great, good handling, dependable, but - lacks horsepower, expect HUGE depreciation loss! I Tried trading in my 2002 ZX2 for something better but found out that it had depreciated 60% in 4 months. Most dealers only offer $7,000 tops on trade.

Favorite Features

Light Weight, Sport Exterior, good suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Suggest that Ford offers a high performance premium package with Turbo charger, larger spoiler, premium sound, leather, nicer wheels, etc. to compete with other manufacturer sport compacts. Get rid of that clumsey egg shaped center dash - looks real cheap!