Used 2001 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (49 reviews )

I love it
By spencer

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a pretty sweet ride. It's comfy, but probably not if you're more than about 6'1''. It's pretty quick. It's loud, but one gets used to it. The stereo is nice, installing a hi/low converter for a new amp is a pain though.

Favorite Features

The steering is tight, the stereo is good for stock, the engine sounds nice at high RPM's.

Suggested Improvements

It's a pain to find aftermarket body parts, new speakers are hard to find, tires are an odd size so they're more expensive, very rough idle (fuel injector cleaner doesn't help), very weak rear bumper (it's not reinforced and when I got bumped it cracked all the way across).

Best car I've owned to date.
By F Bean

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new at the advice of my brother, who is a Ford mechanic. He said they had yet to have one come in for any warranty work. True to his word, I've owned this car for 5 years, drive the heck out of it, wrecked it twice, and it still is there for me every time, knock on wood. I've never had to have it jumped or had it fail to start. I've had my oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles and it looks like honey. Good girl car, as it is dependable and looks good too!

Favorite Features

The moonroof has always been my favorite feature and remains so. I worried at first that the motor might go out in the power moonroof, but even after thousands of openings and closings, it works perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

They don't make this model anymore. I can't think of any realistic improvements needed.

Super Fast
By Phillip

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I love my ZX2; it handles well and gets great gas mileage even with the 82,000 miles it has on it. This car can still move. Parts are a little expensive but still love it.

Favorite Features

Great get up and go. It can really move into traffic. Stick shift is great and the best color is black; looks sporty. More to list of improvements: Needs center arm rest and seat belts are hard to reach. Lots of wind noise inside windows don't seal very well especially at high driving speeds! :)~

Suggested Improvements

Where do I begin it was a cheap car but c'mon. Six disc changer beneath speaker kind stinks; when it bumps it skips. :( Also speakers little weak and rattling up front. Can't reach the oil filter for nothing. Paint chipping off bumper, probably my fault.

Reliability and Fuel savings
By Linda M

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Escort. The 1st one I had (1991) finally died after 265,000 miles on it (Nnver changed engine or tranny). This one has been dependable so far, but is noisier inside. I think the interior is not as plush since it was a fleet car. So ... on long rides it can get pretty loud. But the fuel economy makes up for this.

Favorite Features

Fold down back seat allows you to haul very large items in a very small car. I'm often watched closely by people at Home Depots and lumberyards! It fits!

Suggested Improvements

Insulate the cabin to buffer noise. Put higher quality tires on vehicle. I replaced these after 35,000 miles.

Engine and Tranny
By Angelicdreamz

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car used and it seems to do ok for the first year after purchasing it, however at the beginning of this summer, our AC went out (bad if you live in phx az), our tranny had to be rebuilt, and now it wont run and needs a new engine. We just passed the mark of to many miles for our waranty, so now we are stuck with a car we still owe 6k on and they want us to pay 3.5k for a new engine. We have no other transportation, we have had 6 tires go bad, (even though we have not been rough on them, its from the heat and they ere rubbing on something), 2 new rims (bent when bought), tranny, ac, engine, and 3 bulbs are bad 1 front and 2 back.

Favorite Features

Small car

Suggested Improvements

Tranny, and engine improvemtents. after being around for only 4 years there is no reason for it to need a new engine and tranny