Used 2001 Ford Escort ZX2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (50 reviews )

Super Dependable Transportation
By JVZX2

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was all I could afford at the time. After seven years I have only replaced the tires, a lightbulb and one door hinge (fixed free of charge). Even the brakes are still good. Unbelievably dependable. Bought it in California, drove to the desert the first week. The engine is loud above 75 mph but the mileage is unbelievable at 34 MPG. This car drove to Washington state and crossed the country, no problems. Around town it handles like a sports car with great pickup and excellent turning radius. Engine really cranks up to 5000 rpm and gets to 60 in no time. 5 speed standard transmission is very dependable and the clutch is still tight at 60,000 plus miles.

Dependability, pickup, great AC, transmission, fuel econonomy is incredible. I commute about 20 miles a day and fill up once every two and a half weeks. Fuel economy and dependability are the best features of this car. The stereo is pretty good overall.

Although it would affect the fuel economy, sound proofing; this car is loud. Also, the tires are an odd size and quite expensive. The stock Goodyears do not help the noise either. Better tires helped reduce the noise. The 6 CD changer is in the trunk and is a bit inconvenient to load.

Second Escort I've owned
By Nicole

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Escort I've owned and if they still made them, I'd buy another. I average 30-35 mpg, once getting 38. And this car has been so reliable Always starts, although sometimes hesitantly if it's below zero. I have only done regular maintanence on it, no major repairs. I did have some minor tranny trouble that a flush and new fluid took care of.

Fuel economy, good trunk space, fold-down back seat.

Doesn't matter since they no longer make this model.

5 years later
By Used 2001

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 ZX2 in 2003 used for $9000. The tape player didn't work...still doesn't, but who uses tapes anyway? Radio is good, AC is super cold. It had 32,000 miles on it then, now has 75,000 and still runs great. Gas mileage is awesome, and I've had the serpentine belt replaced once. It has to be replaced again soon. Overall, this has been a great first car, it saw me through college and I'm going to keep it until it dies.

Gas mileage, manual transmission, fold- down rear seats

Sits a little low to the ground, trunk space could be bigger.

4 Transmissions in 5 Years?
By No More Ford.

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about five years now and it's got 64,000 miles on it. I am on my FOURTH transmission (I've got a manual), and Ford isn't interested in hearing about it. While everything else about the car is fine, I am at the point where I may as well buy a new car since repair costs just about equal payments on a new car. At first the car was perfect, but now I don't trust it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I'll admit I enjoy driving it. The design is good and it's roomy and comfortable enough.

Reliability. No matter how decent it may be otherwise, if it breaks down you won't be going anywhere in it.

a good car except for awful vibration
By Dave S.

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not a comfortable car, especially not for a mature adult man. For what I paid for this car, one could expect tilt steering, cruise control, and power seats. My ZX2 has none of those features. (I bought the car for my wife in a hurry and have regretted the hasty decision ever since.) The 2001 ZX2 has a SERIOUS VIBRATION problem. The word "vibration" does not even begin to describe the shaking and rattling experienced while seated in the car. Evidently the problem is that the engine runs very roughly at idle speed, which is what happens when the car is stopped but in gear. I would not recommend this car to anyone who cares about comfort. It might be a good 1st car for a teen.

The card handles well on the road and has been generally reliable, despite the annoying vibration.

Fix the vibration!