Used 2001 Ford Escort ZX2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escort

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (50 reviews )

very well built
By beau2715

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car have 215,000 miles, I'm a second owner 1st owner maintained very well. Only problems have been 2 alternators, clutch went out around 200,000, the high intensity headlights burned out sockets 2x each side. Might burn a 1/2 quart between oil changes, I get it changed every 5000. I drive it very hard and it like a timex and keeps on ticking.

Favorite Features

I have the chip installed that gives 15% more horsepower and is a quick little car, engine very well built.

Suggested Improvements

More back seat room, better charging system, mounting c.d. changer somewhere else besides next to rear speaker, when played at higher volumes it makes c.d. skip.

A Worthwhile Purchase
By Frank

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car over six years now and it is one of the better vehicle purchases I've ever made. It has been very reliable and has not had any major mechanical issues. I replaced the air filter with a premium air filter and performed a tune up using premium spark plugs last year and the fuel economy has been consistently averaging 31 MPG. Before that, I was averaging around 28 MPG.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, interior room, reliability

Suggested Improvements

N/A

My Ex isn't around but my Escort ZX2 is
By LJW

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Mine has 143,000 miles on it. The only thing I have mechanically get fixed was my timing belt and chain shot craps..but that just happened. Been a great little car. Bought it New with 5 miles on it. Planning to get another at least 80,000 out of it. Had an Escort before this one same thing great little car..sorry they stopped making them. It was a cheaper car only cost me $14,000 so you can't really knock it down. Great gas mileage is been worth it today!

Pretty Good
By FordOwner

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2004 with 35,000 miles on it. I have put 65,000 miles on it over the last five years. Up until the 90,000 mile mark it was an extremely good car, with nothing other than regular maintanence. The last year it needed brakes (pads, rotors, and drums), tie-rods, and a solenoid, all between $400 and $500 each. I always get over 30 mpg, usually closer to 35. Ride and handling are acceptable for a small car. Not much interior room, but enough for my 5'2" body. It has had intermittant problems shifting from park to drive when first started. Likes to stay in park or neutral. Have to bump shifter into neurtal, than back into drive for it to get into gear.

Favorite Features

Remote entry, fold-down rear seat, power mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Move/enlarge cup holders. Can't put car into park if a large cup is in the holder. Cups also hit climate control. Power seats would be nice.

Reliable Transportation
By Jim

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2001 and I could not be happier with this car. Never had any problems with this car. Just recently replaced my first set of brakes. 5 speed transmission moves this car quickly in traffic. I still own this car and will replace the timing belt to get another 75,000 miles out of it.

Favorite Features

Engine has quick pickup and is great on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is noisy at highway speeds. Also the car in general is noisy, sound proofing would help but may hurt mileage.