2001 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (49 reviews )
I love it
By spencer on 07/10/06 11:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a pretty sweet ride. It's comfy, but probably not if you're more than about 6'1''. It's pretty quick. It's loud, but one gets used to it. The stereo is nice, installing a hi/low converter for a new amp is a pain though.

Best car I've owned to date.
By F Bean on 05/02/06 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new at the advice of my brother, who is a Ford mechanic. He said they had yet to have one come in for any warranty work. True to his word, I've owned this car for 5 years, drive the heck out of it, wrecked it twice, and it still is there for me every time, knock on wood. I've never had to have it jumped or had it fail to start. I've had my oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles and it looks like honey. Good girl car, as it is dependable and looks good too!

Super Fast
By Phillip on 03/26/06 22:35 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I love my ZX2; it handles well and gets great gas mileage even with the 82,000 miles it has on it. This car can still move. Parts are a little expensive but still love it.

Reliability and Fuel savings
By Linda M on 03/07/06 18:08 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Escort. The 1st one I had (1991) finally died after 265,000 miles on it (Nnver changed engine or tranny). This one has been dependable so far, but is noisier inside. I think the interior is not as plush since it was a fleet car. So ... on long rides it can get pretty loud. But the fuel economy makes up for this.

Engine and Tranny
By Angelicdreamz on 08/17/05 14:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car used and it seems to do ok for the first year after purchasing it, however at the beginning of this summer, our AC went out (bad if you live in phx az), our tranny had to be rebuilt, and now it wont run and needs a new engine. We just passed the mark of to many miles for our waranty, so now we are stuck with a car we still owe 6k on and they want us to pay 3.5k for a new engine. We have no other transportation, we have had 6 tires go bad, (even though we have not been rough on them, its from the heat and they ere rubbing on something), 2 new rims (bent when bought), tranny, ac, engine, and 3 bulbs are bad 1 front and 2 back.

My 2001 ATX
By LunchBox on 06/08/05 00:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased new on 12/30/00 and was my first "new" car. It is great on gas, performs like a champ. When they came out they would put a hurting on most of the Hondas and such that you could buy at the time. They handle very well, are fun to drive, but they do have known problems. I have had 4 transmissions in 65k miles, the 4EAT-F automatics are known for overheating and failing. The starter has gone bad once, the VCT died. It's been a rough road with the car but all in all for the price it was hard to beat, and I knew I didn't want anything GM.

Great little car...
By frmnc on 05/20/05 09:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Escort (my second) since Feb. 2002 and currently have almost 81,000 miles on it. Other than new tires, new brake pads one time, one light bulb and the normal oil/filter changes, I have never had a bit of problem with this car. Since it was $1,000's less than an import of the same size, I am very happy with it!

Excellent car, no problems ever
By wwolf on 11/24/04 21:00 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

ZX2 looks good, drives well, very easy on gas. Have had it for almost 4 years and not a single repair. I recommend it to anyone who wants a sporty smaller car that performs well.

Transmission problems
By Shane2001 on 11/24/04 20:05 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car when it is running, great fuel, good comfort. But I have had the transmission rebuilt Once already, and it is on it's way out again. It's only got 39,000 miles on it, it should be able to take what little power that is coming out of the engine. I have heard about some other poeple have the same problem in the years around mine also.

Good First Car
By looks best in black on 11/24/04 15:48 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's my first car. Bought used with 40k miles. Gets amazing gas mileage and it's pretty fun to drive. Back seat is a bit roomy for a car of its size. It gets up and goes for a car with a 130hp engine. Has a lot of low end torque, but when it gets in 2nd and 3rd gear it slows down a lot. Then up again in 4th. Older people might not like how low this car is (makes it hard to get in and out of). The ZX2 sits at least a foot lower than a Civic. Aftermarket parts are limited, but there are some. All in all if you're looking for a smaller car with great gas mileage and a little more "get up and go" then this is the car for you.