2001 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (49 reviews )
A Worthwhile Purchase
By Frank on 04/03/09 06:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car over six years now and it is one of the better vehicle purchases I've ever made. It has been very reliable and has not had any major mechanical issues. I replaced the air filter with a premium air filter and performed a tune up using premium spark plugs last year and the fuel economy has been consistently averaging 31 MPG. Before that, I was averaging around 28 MPG.

My Ex isn't around but my Escort ZX2 is
By LJW on 02/20/09 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Mine has 143,000 miles on it. The only thing I have mechanically get fixed was my timing belt and chain shot craps..but that just happened. Been a great little car. Bought it New with 5 miles on it. Planning to get another at least 80,000 out of it. Had an Escort before this one same thing great little car..sorry they stopped making them. It was a cheaper car only cost me $14,000 so you can't really knock it down. Great gas mileage is been worth it today!

Pretty Good
By FordOwner on 01/28/09 16:51 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2004 with 35,000 miles on it. I have put 65,000 miles on it over the last five years. Up until the 90,000 mile mark it was an extremely good car, with nothing other than regular maintanence. The last year it needed brakes (pads, rotors, and drums), tie-rods, and a solenoid, all between $400 and $500 each. I always get over 30 mpg, usually closer to 35. Ride and handling are acceptable for a small car. Not much interior room, but enough for my 5'2" body. It has had intermittant problems shifting from park to drive when first started. Likes to stay in park or neutral. Have to bump shifter into neurtal, than back into drive for it to get into gear.

Reliable Transportation
By Jim on 01/02/09 16:53 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2001 and I could not be happier with this car. Never had any problems with this car. Just recently replaced my first set of brakes. 5 speed transmission moves this car quickly in traffic. I still own this car and will replace the timing belt to get another 75,000 miles out of it.

Super Dependable Transportation
By JVZX2 on 04/01/08 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was all I could afford at the time. After seven years I have only replaced the tires, a lightbulb and one door hinge (fixed free of charge). Even the brakes are still good. Unbelievably dependable. Bought it in California, drove to the desert the first week. The engine is loud above 75 mph but the mileage is unbelievable at 34 MPG. This car drove to Washington state and crossed the country, no problems. Around town it handles like a sports car with great pickup and excellent turning radius. Engine really cranks up to 5000 rpm and gets to 60 in no time. 5 speed standard transmission is very dependable and the clutch is still tight at 60,000 plus miles.

Second Escort I've owned
By Nicole on 03/04/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Escort I've owned and if they still made them, I'd buy another. I average 30-35 mpg, once getting 38. And this car has been so reliable Always starts, although sometimes hesitantly if it's below zero. I have only done regular maintanence on it, no major repairs. I did have some minor tranny trouble that a flush and new fluid took care of.

5 years later
By Used 2001 on 01/16/08 07:29 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 ZX2 in 2003 used for $9000. The tape player didn't work...still doesn't, but who uses tapes anyway? Radio is good, AC is super cold. It had 32,000 miles on it then, now has 75,000 and still runs great. Gas mileage is awesome, and I've had the serpentine belt replaced once. It has to be replaced again soon. Overall, this has been a great first car, it saw me through college and I'm going to keep it until it dies.

4 Transmissions in 5 Years?
By No More Ford. on 03/17/07 22:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about five years now and it's got 64,000 miles on it. I am on my FOURTH transmission (I've got a manual), and Ford isn't interested in hearing about it. While everything else about the car is fine, I am at the point where I may as well buy a new car since repair costs just about equal payments on a new car. At first the car was perfect, but now I don't trust it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

a good car except for awful vibration
By Dave S. on 12/28/06 11:13 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not a comfortable car, especially not for a mature adult man. For what I paid for this car, one could expect tilt steering, cruise control, and power seats. My ZX2 has none of those features. (I bought the car for my wife in a hurry and have regretted the hasty decision ever since.) The 2001 ZX2 has a SERIOUS VIBRATION problem. The word "vibration" does not even begin to describe the shaking and rattling experienced while seated in the car. Evidently the problem is that the engine runs very roughly at idle speed, which is what happens when the car is stopped but in gear. I would not recommend this car to anyone who cares about comfort. It might be a good 1st car for a teen.

Great First Car - inexpensive to own
By Ryan S. on 07/19/06 15:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is extremely cheap to own, even with gas prices where they are. I can get 325 miles on a tank. She's not the fastest going up hills, but acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder. I was told there was a recall on the rear seatbelts. I recommend this car for those who don't need a fast sporty car and like to save money on gas.