2001 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (39 reviews )
Reliable Transportation
By Jim on 01/02/09 16:53 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2001 and I could not be happier with this car. Never had any problems with this car. Just recently replaced my first set of brakes. 5 speed transmission moves this car quickly in traffic. I still own this car and will replace the timing belt to get another 75,000 miles out of it.

Super Dependable Transportation
By JVZX2 on 04/01/08 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was all I could afford at the time. After seven years I have only replaced the tires, a lightbulb and one door hinge (fixed free of charge). Even the brakes are still good. Unbelievably dependable. Bought it in California, drove to the desert the first week. The engine is loud above 75 mph but the mileage is unbelievable at 34 MPG. This car drove to Washington state and crossed the country, no problems. Around town it handles like a sports car with great pickup and excellent turning radius. Engine really cranks up to 5000 rpm and gets to 60 in no time. 5 speed standard transmission is very dependable and the clutch is still tight at 60,000 plus miles.

5 years later
By Used 2001 on 01/16/08 07:29 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 ZX2 in 2003 used for $9000. The tape player didn't work...still doesn't, but who uses tapes anyway? Radio is good, AC is super cold. It had 32,000 miles on it then, now has 75,000 and still runs great. Gas mileage is awesome, and I've had the serpentine belt replaced once. It has to be replaced again soon. Overall, this has been a great first car, it saw me through college and I'm going to keep it until it dies.

4 Transmissions in 5 Years?
By No More Ford. on 03/17/07 22:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about five years now and it's got 64,000 miles on it. I am on my FOURTH transmission (I've got a manual), and Ford isn't interested in hearing about it. While everything else about the car is fine, I am at the point where I may as well buy a new car since repair costs just about equal payments on a new car. At first the car was perfect, but now I don't trust it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

a good car except for awful vibration
By Dave S. on 12/28/06 11:13 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not a comfortable car, especially not for a mature adult man. For what I paid for this car, one could expect tilt steering, cruise control, and power seats. My ZX2 has none of those features. (I bought the car for my wife in a hurry and have regretted the hasty decision ever since.) The 2001 ZX2 has a SERIOUS VIBRATION problem. The word "vibration" does not even begin to describe the shaking and rattling experienced while seated in the car. Evidently the problem is that the engine runs very roughly at idle speed, which is what happens when the car is stopped but in gear. I would not recommend this car to anyone who cares about comfort. It might be a good 1st car for a teen.

I love it
By spencer on 07/10/06 11:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a pretty sweet ride. It's comfy, but probably not if you're more than about 6'1''. It's pretty quick. It's loud, but one gets used to it. The stereo is nice, installing a hi/low converter for a new amp is a pain though.

Best car I've owned to date.
By F Bean on 05/02/06 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new at the advice of my brother, who is a Ford mechanic. He said they had yet to have one come in for any warranty work. True to his word, I've owned this car for 5 years, drive the heck out of it, wrecked it twice, and it still is there for me every time, knock on wood. I've never had to have it jumped or had it fail to start. I've had my oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles and it looks like honey. Good girl car, as it is dependable and looks good too!

Super Fast
By Phillip on 03/26/06 22:35 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I love my ZX2; it handles well and gets great gas mileage even with the 82,000 miles it has on it. This car can still move. Parts are a little expensive but still love it.

My 2001 ATX
By LunchBox on 06/08/05 00:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased new on 12/30/00 and was my first "new" car. It is great on gas, performs like a champ. When they came out they would put a hurting on most of the Hondas and such that you could buy at the time. They handle very well, are fun to drive, but they do have known problems. I have had 4 transmissions in 65k miles, the 4EAT-F automatics are known for overheating and failing. The starter has gone bad once, the VCT died. It's been a rough road with the car but all in all for the price it was hard to beat, and I knew I didn't want anything GM.

Excellent car, no problems ever
By wwolf on 11/24/04 21:00 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

ZX2 looks good, drives well, very easy on gas. Have had it for almost 4 years and not a single repair. I recommend it to anyone who wants a sporty smaller car that performs well.