2001 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (49 reviews )
OK (at times)
By homerrocks2 on 12/30/11 05:29 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome to drive! I like the zipping around feeling from the little car and the manual transmission is the only way to go! Bought the car about 2 years ago and it is not aging well...found numerous times we have had to put patch work on it. I will say I'm not sure about safety, it doesn't seem like it would hold up well in a collision but i don't know.

Great car!
By sapper92 on 07/16/11 10:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2010 with 68,000 miles,it now has 89,000. Only perpuse is to drive to and from work daily, 75 mile round trip. Gets awesome gas milage, rutinly between 32-37. it all depends on how you drive it. If you try to stay at 80mph, you will get horrable mileage. I stay at 2800rpm or about 72mph on the highway, to get the mileage list above (2500prm or 68mph to get 37mpg). this is NOT a preformance car and shouldn't be driven like one, if you are looking for the GOOD mileage, however it will and does surpass all other models in its catagory.

Good Car
By hoffman2 on 06/22/11 20:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the fisrt car i bought it had 120,000 miles on it and had been sitting for a while when i got it but with a charged battery it cranked right up and drove amazingly all ive done to it was regular maintainance to it and ive had it for 3 years and have 188,000 miles on it now and it still runs beautifully i plan to drive it untill it dies. very good investment i would recommend to anyone.

Great First Car
By RDP on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I bought while in college. I bought it with 95,000 miles, and I am almost at 200,000 miles. It has been very reliable, and I have only had to replace a fuel filter and alternator. The clutch and transmission seem to still be going strong. A lot of things are starting to need work, so I will probably be buying a new car. My only problem while owning this car has been the gas mileage. I only seem to get about 25 MPG.

01 ZX2
By Drifter on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 01, still going strong. The timing belt must be replaced around 115,000 or it may break. Replaced the alternator around 118,000. If you do regular upkeep as directed in the owners manual, it will keep going.

Not so good for intense driving
By kevin on 07/17/10 22:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to drive a lot between places, and this car I bought in 06 with 70,000 miles for only $4,000. The first two years were good, up until 110,000 miles. Transmission needs work now, things keep braking on this car (leaks) unfortunately at this point, the upkeep is getting high I might as well buy a car. A/C blows weak, and my compressor won't make cold air now. I don't know how anyone gets 30 MPG on this. I usually get 350 Miles on a tank, and the tank is 13 gallons, so its 26 MPG for me. Good first car, rides a bit low for me, and dents easily.

Nice ride
By mickeyg on 05/11/10 09:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my ZX2 from my cousin last year, and it had over 155K miles. The only problem that I have had with it is the timing belt just broke on me. It's a little tight since i'm 6'4", but I still love it. Plus I can always find it in the parking lot since it's bright blue. This is also a great car to learn how to drive manual, it takes a beating and just keeps going.

2001 Ford ZX2 Lacks Comfort
By doddtw on 04/30/10 09:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My number one complaint with this car is comfort. The shoulder room is very tight for an adult man. The seats are cheap. I feel like my bottom is 2 inches off the ground and I have the sensation of driving a GO Cart. When I exit the vehicle my knees feel like they're even with my ear lobes. The car has adequate pickup and reliability. I also see excessive vibration while in idle as experienced by another reviewer. Interior seems mainly cheap plastic. Lack of a center console to rest your elbox on is also annoying. This would be a adequate car for a small framed teenager but an average sized adult will not be happy with this car. I have basicly let this car sit in my driveway the last 5 years.

Ford escort zx2
By IxLeSsxThNx3U on 11/17/09 19:33 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What ever you do, do not buy this car. I have had so many problems with this car. First of all there is a hose that is built too close to the engine so that it will end up burning a hole through the hose in this car. It has done it in my car and had to be replaced. Second they are known for having troubles with their struts.. mine went out. Third these cars are pretty hard to work on since under the hood everything is pretty compact. Fourth, ford's during this year are known for having shifting problems due to transmission filters, and they have to be changed often. Fifth I had to replace the whole exhaust system in this car. These cars have a lot of problems. DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!!!!

very well built
By beau2715 on 08/08/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car have 215,000 miles, I'm a second owner 1st owner maintained very well. Only problems have been 2 alternators, clutch went out around 200,000, the high intensity headlights burned out sockets 2x each side. Might burn a 1/2 quart between oil changes, I get it changed every 5000. I drive it very hard and it like a timex and keeps on ticking.

1 2 3 4 5 next »