Used 2000 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Fun to drive on short trips
By Elderchuck

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

This Escort has been typical of the three Escorts we have owned previously. Well built, short on options, reliable, and hard on the back when sitting over an hour. Nagging problem with engine mounts (accelerator slaps foot and clunks on starts and stops and bad tie rods).

Favorite Features

Power everything including moon roof Antenna in a logical place unlike Focus Just plain fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More storage, especially for sunglasses. More adjustments to seats including lumbar support. Amber turn signals in mirrors, and tail lights. High mount brake light.

ZX2 is a great coupe
By rainbow

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought this car 4 years ago back in 2000. I have enjoyed having this car around. It is a fun car to drive back and forth to work. I have had no problems with the car. It has been a very reliable car. I would buy another one if given the chance. Out of all the compact coupes I would say the ZX2 is a great coupe. I spend most of my time around cars, so yes I know what I'm talking about.

Favorite Features

My favorite features on the car is the leather seats which are very comfortable and having everything power.

Suggested Improvements

I still don't know about the intergarated control pod setup. It makes it hard to install a stero and have it blend with the interior.

My 2000 Ford Escort Zx2
By Nickc1178

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 Ford zx2 brand new in 2000 with 34 miles on it. In the last 3 and a half years I have put 70,000 miles on it. The only major problem I have had is the automatic transmission. The transmission is not very good. I have had to have it flushed twice already. The thing shifts hard all the time out of first even when the fluid is full. The only other problem I have had is to replace the left front tie-rod. Otherwise the car has been pretty good. It protected me in a nice 45mph accident when a soccer mom pulled out in front of me in her mini van. 27mpg on average.

Favorite Features

Power sunroof, power mirrors, leather seats. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Auto transmission needs a lot of work. Tie rods seem to be weak on these. Safety features work, I had to try them.

Faithful...
By ALG

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have had no mechanical problems with my car. I have had to do no more than oil changes, car washes, and fluid checks. I have had to replace my tires once...and they were more expensive than I had figured. Relatively hard to find too. Overall, great car.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, cheap tank to fill. Reliable, starts right up in all weather. Sturdy handling.

Suggested Improvements

Standard tilt steering. Standard CD player. Standard keyless entry.

ZX2 with S/R computer
By Mirlin

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

When I got my ZX2 in January 2004, I was astounded to find a new motor, transmission, and S/R computer in it. With High mileage (79,000) and just the need for transportation to and from work, I wasn't expecting much, but I've got a car that not only can smoke rubber in first and second gear, it beats the pants off Honda Civics. It does what I want it to do and does it VERY well

Favorite Features

Engine, Transmission, Handling, and after market part and accessory availability.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower, Turbo Charger, Ground Effects, Better Stereo.