Used 2000 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Good Car
By Bodacious

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

This car was the first car I ever purchased. It is great for anyone who just needs to go from point A to point B. This car is great for single or family use. Its great on gas mileage and needs little maintenance. I bought it used with only 10,000 miles and have only replaced the tires, battery, and brake pads after hitting 50,000. This car shakes a lot while idle, though it isn't anything serious. It is so easy to drive as well. You can literally make turns with one hand since the car is so easy to maneuver.

The stereo system for this car is nice. It is not flashy or anything, but it has a great sound system for internal use. The trunk is very spacious for the size.

More horsepower and higher seats. The seats are too comfortable, similar to a recliner. Also it should have an option to disable the seat belt and key warning sound. It is annoying if you have the keys in the car and just want to listen to the radio or have the door open.

Power Train
By Mike

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

So I have only had this car for 6 months. Bought it as part of a voluntary repo from my credit union. It had 30,400 miles on it, and had 35,234 when the car became locked in second somehow and the gears fused together. To repair from the original dealer is $1,600; to replace is $3,200 plus labor. Seems rather costly since it is a manual. I have owned a Ford Taurus, Acura Legend, Honda Accord, and then this ZX2. My Honda cars were reliable and fun to drive. These Fords have been costly.

Head lights are pretty cool. Turn signal and wiper switches are ergomonic. Very comfortable seats for a car in this price range.

A better roller skate
By jemjunior

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I needed a car in a hurry. I had good working relations with a local car rental dealer. Picked up the Escort with 32,000 miles for a good price. It has been a very reliable mode of transportation. My teenage daughter learned to drive in it. I still use it every day for back and forth to work. I plan on fixing it and driving it until the wheels fall off. I haven't had any trouble besides normal wear and tear items. Be advised - the Escort doesn't "DO" anything. It just starts up, drives, and comes home.

Initial Cost. Parts cost and availability. It is a CHEAP Car to own and operate.

Although it outperforms the original 'beetle' in most categories, it will never be an equal because this car has no character!

My Baby
By JJEANR3

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for almost 3 years in June and i have had only one thing happen to it and that had something to do with the gear shifter and the warranty covered that. All around it is a great car for anyone. I have put almost 50,000 miles on it and it is still going, like it is new.

6-disc CD changer,bucket seats and window design

Bigger speakers, easy access to back seat would be nice.

hooray for the ZX2
By electroniceyes

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I got my ZX2 used in February '04 so I don't have the years experience with it. I love how nicely it handles and the gas mileage is a real plus; stereo is awesome for a stock stereo. I only wish my ZX2 had power windows/door locks; the crank windows are a real problem sometimes and it's a real pain having to reach across to let people in my car. I also wish is didn't vibrate like one of those massage chairs when at idle.

Stereo w/ 6 disc changer, handling, exterior style.

Back seat could be easier to access, power windows door locks standard, an engine that doesn't vibrate.