Used 2000 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Escort Coupe

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (56 reviews )

Fun and Reliable
By headwinds

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car off the lot (with 15 miles on it); it was fully loaded with options (power locks and windows, moon roof, 6 CD player). So far, it's been great to drive and very reliable, with only routine maintenance (tires, oil change, etc) needed.

Favorite Features

Interior organization works well or me. Air, heat and defrost system excellent. Really good sound system. With manual transmission great fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior finish shows every nick, ding and brush. Really disappointed with that. Light on the road in inclement conditions, despite front wheel drive.

Power Train
By Mike

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

So I have only had this car for 6 months. Bought it as part of a voluntary repo from my credit union. It had 30,400 miles on it, and had 35,234 when the car became locked in second somehow and the gears fused together. To repair from the original dealer is $1,600; to replace is $3,200 plus labor. Seems rather costly since it is a manual. I have owned a Ford Taurus, Acura Legend, Honda Accord, and then this ZX2. My Honda cars were reliable and fun to drive. These Fords have been costly.

Favorite Features

Head lights are pretty cool. Turn signal and wiper switches are ergomonic. Very comfortable seats for a car in this price range.

My Baby
By JJEANR3

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for almost 3 years in June and i have had only one thing happen to it and that had something to do with the gear shifter and the warranty covered that. All around it is a great car for anyone. I have put almost 50,000 miles on it and it is still going, like it is new.

Favorite Features

6-disc CD changer,bucket seats and window design

Suggested Improvements

Bigger speakers, easy access to back seat would be nice.

hooray for the ZX2
By electroniceyes

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I got my ZX2 used in February '04 so I don't have the years experience with it. I love how nicely it handles and the gas mileage is a real plus; stereo is awesome for a stock stereo. I only wish my ZX2 had power windows/door locks; the crank windows are a real problem sometimes and it's a real pain having to reach across to let people in my car. I also wish is didn't vibrate like one of those massage chairs when at idle.

Favorite Features

Stereo w/ 6 disc changer, handling, exterior style.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat could be easier to access, power windows door locks standard, an engine that doesn't vibrate.

Heather's Review
By HeatherD617

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I love this car - the only thing better would be if it was a manual transmission. But for an automatic, it puts out a decent amount of power and is very fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Easily able to switch out the stock stereo to fit any after-market stereo; plenty of room in the trunk for my subs and other luggage

Suggested Improvements

Replace all factory speakers as soon as possible; replace the stock stereo system; use at least a 10" subwoofer to get desired output