Used 2000 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Best for the Price
By App zx2

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

As an avid ZX2 owner, I have learned a lot about this car though ownership and research. For a purchase price of $11,600 brand new, this car has been worth every penny. Performance was at the top of its price class at the time (and now), and few cars sold today that come close to the ZX2's average ~$13,500 price in 2000 can match it in this respect. Taut handling, brisk acceleration, a "drive-me" personality and outstanding fuel economy (depends on your driving style!) have made this a perfect car for a young driver (16- 22+ years). The back seats are surprisingly roomy for a 2 door coupe, with headroom the only vice for rear passengers over five-ten. Overall, I recommend this car!

Fun-to-Drive personality, brisk acceleration in an economical package (a very light car = go and gas mileage), safe, fuel economy!, styling, inexpensive to buy and maintain. There is plenty of aftermarket support if you look in the right places. A great value car!

Though a good car, here are suggestions (these things kept new price down): The front seats are not very comfortable, wider rims to fit common tire sizes, needs thicker rear sway bar, noisy. Fix: You can directly fit a thicker sway bar from any junkyard 91-96 Ford Escort for ~$50.

glad they stopped making this car
By Aaron

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

At first I loved this car. But it can only handle so much. It is an econobox. I replaced the wheel bearings, the head, one of the cams and tie rods. This car is great but it isn't made "Ford tough". It lacks power when needed and there is only one place to get "performance" parts for it. But still you'll never get this car to go faster than most imports of the same class.

I love the window design but the weather striping would whistle constantly. dealership said it was a common problem.

Rough idle needs to be fixed on this car. Cheesy spoiler should be removed. Stock S/R ecu impossible to tune. Brakes are too small. S/R transmission will fall sooner or later no matter how you drive. Speakers are 6x8s and a hassle to replace. Everything on this car is an 10mm socket ... believe me.

I Love my ZX2
By John

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I haven't had ONE problem with my ZX2. It's too bad they don't make them anymore. I've got 116,000 miles on it. I replaced tie rod.

Kicking car
By Jeff

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

During the time that I have had this car, I have had no problems what-so-ever. This is the best car out of all the cars that I have ever owned, it is so fun to drive because it is small and quick. Only because I am moving out of country am I going to be getting rid of it. Love the car, if you get the opportunity to buy one, do so. I feel that this is a great starter car, and a great commuter car.

Handling. I have driven many higher end cars that don't have the responsiveness that the Escort has.

The complaint most heard is the back seat is too small. That is because it is a 2 door car. Other than that, I also wish that it had cruise control. Many do, but not mine.

Fun and Reliable
By headwinds

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car off the lot (with 15 miles on it); it was fully loaded with options (power locks and windows, moon roof, 6 CD player). So far, it's been great to drive and very reliable, with only routine maintenance (tires, oil change, etc) needed.

Interior organization works well or me. Air, heat and defrost system excellent. Really good sound system. With manual transmission great fun to drive.

Exterior finish shows every nick, ding and brush. Really disappointed with that. Light on the road in inclement conditions, despite front wheel drive.