2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Broke 9 months later!!!
By eadllnean on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought my ZX2 with 28,000 mls on it. After 10,000 mls my transmissions broke and I had to replace it. This was 2,000 miles after my warranty expired! Two days after I picked up my car with the new transmission I had to take it back to the dealer for further transmission repairs!! I will never buy another Ford again!!!

Fun to Drive, Great to own
By Lupis on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

My rating of this car is based on what I think it was designed to do, not compared to a BMW Z3 or something. For the price and intended purpose of this car, I think it's great! Don't listen to those who tell you buy a Focus instead of a ZX2. The ZX2 is more fun to drive and looks a hell of a lot better than a Focus. If you're strapped for cash, but still want sporty little car to tootle around in, the ZX2 is a great option for the price.

Why not?
By Sage289 on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

When I first bought my Escort, no one seemed to like it! I was called a traitor (I used to have a Honda), and I used to hate Fords. The Escort really brought me around. It had low miles, and it was at a good price and it had everything I wanted! Sunroof, 5-speed, 2-door, power windows and locks, and keyless entry. It's a cute car, and it has really good pick up. I really like this car, and they really don't get the credit they deserve.

Fun & Reliable "Z"
By "ZMAN" on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought the vehilce brand new and very pleased ! I have not noticed any of the problems other have mentioned with my Z, however before purchasing I test drove 3 others, and they seemed to have loose steering. My car performs well, is comfortable ( Keep in mind I am 5'- 8" about 250, so perhaps if I was any larger that may not be the case ), gets good gas mileage. So over all I am pleased. However I do agree power windows and locks would have been nice to have !

Decent Car-Buy Used
By ford tech on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have a 2k ZX2 S/R.The car is built well but dont drive with the a/c on, it lunges and surges..tremendous loss of power.Car is also too loud on the inside while driving. Only true bad thing abot the car is that if you buy one new-you will lose half the value when you drive it off the lot.Buy used!!

Fun to drive
By 4-wheeler on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Ford Escort/ZX2 is fun to drive. That's the general idea my review is based on. Performance is pretty good for 2.0L with 130 "horsies" inside. Mine is equiped with 5-speed manual transmission which allows me to keep the engine at high RPM whenever I want. The most valuable feature for me is that ZX2 is perfectly designed for heel- and-toe downshifting. Gas and brake pedals are positioned so close to each other that it is possible to use only an outside edge of a foot to blip the throttle while braking hard. Power steerig also greatly improves passing the turn at high speed.

Fun While It Lasted...
By 2kford on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

ZX2 was a new totally base model 5-speed. A great car for the first 10,000 mi. Steering was tight & responsive. I could do things only possible in this car. Drove 20,000 mi/yr. It limits at 105mph. The brakes were just right & the gears shifted smoothy. Great MPG I could drive 25 mi w/fuel light on. As it racked up miles, the thing I noticed to go was the steering; sometimes it pulled to the left while accelerating. Funny noises w/the heater. Entire 42,000 mi driven, didn't have to replace brake pads once. Wouldn't buy this car new again, lost nearly half its value after 1st yr. Find a low mile used one with more options!! Gotta get 5-speed ;o)

Great Car
By Agroshwag on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I think the Ford Escort ZX2 is a great car. It performs well and has suprisingly good speed and power.

Its a good little car
By tboner on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I really like this little car. It handles the tough winters up here in the Northeast. Starts everyday, handles the snow & ice good. Peppy little 4 cylinder, although I wish I had the standard. I am a 5 speed fanatic. I don't find the car uncomfortable at all. A lot of other smaller car will make my bum go to sleep after an hour or two, but not so with this one. My previous car was a 1997 Hyundai Accent, which was a great little car, but the escort has the upper hand over the accent.

best for the money
By DBO on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

After 2 1/2 years I have had only 1 problem, the seat material was threading around the edge (drivers seat). The dealer fixed this under warranty and I have had no other problems. The Car is fun to drive and gets good gas milage and doesn't look like an econobox...