Used 2000 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (57 reviews )

Ford is a Ford is a Ford
By Elderchuck

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

Tie rods go out too often or am I driving it too hard? Acceleration is great, AC takes way too much and Ford knows best and won't let you turn the compressor off while leaving the fan on. Seats could be more comfortable; are good for about an hour. Stiff shifter needs lubing too often. Best thing car goes fast and gets 34 MPG. Brakes too light for car.

Engine with split port induction. A true coupe with no pillar on doors. Good car.

Tie rods, seats, brakes.

Cost Effective from Day One
By Deborah

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought this brand new $8500 + tax / license/0.9% interest. 5 speed manual transmission no bells or whistles. 34 mpg. 6 years old with 130,000 miles. We have replaced the tires twice and the alternator. The interior has withstood our daily use with the exception of the the foam in the left rear bottom of the drivers seat is starting to degrade and crumble out the bottom. I highly recommend this model based on our personal experience. I strongly feel that we will get another 100,000 miles out of this with minimal dollars on maintenance. Our true cost to own so far: $18,862/6 years/$0.1451 per mile including gas, insurance, maintenance, deprecation based on ~$2900 current value (which would be an easy sale @ 34mpg!).

34 mpg - 34 mpg - 34 mpg. $ for $ this thing exceeds a hybrid for overall $ value. Our base model is not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but this thing has all you really need to get to work and car pool inexpensively.

Nothing. My husband is 6'4" and he is quite comfortable driving this commuter car. We spent 2 weeks "sitting" in all the other commuter models in 2000 - this was the roomiest (front and back seats included) says our 6'5", 275 pound friend.

Best for the Price
By App zx2

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

As an avid ZX2 owner, I have learned a lot about this car though ownership and research. For a purchase price of $11,600 brand new, this car has been worth every penny. Performance was at the top of its price class at the time (and now), and few cars sold today that come close to the ZX2's average ~$13,500 price in 2000 can match it in this respect. Taut handling, brisk acceleration, a "drive-me" personality and outstanding fuel economy (depends on your driving style!) have made this a perfect car for a young driver (16- 22+ years). The back seats are surprisingly roomy for a 2 door coupe, with headroom the only vice for rear passengers over five-ten. Overall, I recommend this car!

Fun-to-Drive personality, brisk acceleration in an economical package (a very light car = go and gas mileage), safe, fuel economy!, styling, inexpensive to buy and maintain. There is plenty of aftermarket support if you look in the right places. A great value car!

Though a good car, here are suggestions (these things kept new price down): The front seats are not very comfortable, wider rims to fit common tire sizes, needs thicker rear sway bar, noisy. Fix: You can directly fit a thicker sway bar from any junkyard 91-96 Ford Escort for ~$50.

glad they stopped making this car
By Aaron

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

At first I loved this car. But it can only handle so much. It is an econobox. I replaced the wheel bearings, the head, one of the cams and tie rods. This car is great but it isn't made "Ford tough". It lacks power when needed and there is only one place to get "performance" parts for it. But still you'll never get this car to go faster than most imports of the same class.

I love the window design but the weather striping would whistle constantly. dealership said it was a common problem.

Rough idle needs to be fixed on this car. Cheesy spoiler should be removed. Stock S/R ecu impossible to tune. Brakes are too small. S/R transmission will fall sooner or later no matter how you drive. Speakers are 6x8s and a hassle to replace. Everything on this car is an 10mm socket ... believe me.

I Love my ZX2
By John

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I haven't had ONE problem with my ZX2. It's too bad they don't make them anymore. I've got 116,000 miles on it. I replaced tie rod.