Used 2000 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Escort ZX2 S/R - a great ride
By Racerkat

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

My "new" (2000 model year) Escort ZX2 with the S/R package is a fun, comfortable car with plenty of interior space for groceries, etc. The steering is a little heavy (61/39 weight distribution contributes to this). The radio, a/c, rear defroster controls are in the center of the console, a big reach for a short person. The 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS stop the car quickly, even from high speed, with no swerving or sliding. The infinite seat back rake adjustment makes it easy to find your personal "fit". The S/R package adds horsepower, front and rear swaybars and a performance clutch and pressure plate; however, the base ZX2 design, fit and finish, ergonomics and handling are very good.

The features offered in the S/R package are my no.1 favorites; the tinted rear window with defroster does a great job of deflecting headlights from following cars; the infinite rake on the seat back accommodates drivers of all sizes.

Move the heater, a/c and rear window defogger closer to the driver; redesign the instrument cluster so the radio settings don't take up most of the space.

WOW! What A Beast I Have.
By J Riles

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I brought this car basically because I was excited in buying my first car. Anyways since then the car has been like a trusty companion. Every time I think it's gonna give out on me it just keeps kicking. Right now I'm in the 20's as far as mileage and she runs like when i first brought her. Great A to B car.

None really, but I've been in an accident with a cab driver and walked away with scratches while his cab was devastated. (LOL!)

Exterior stylish look and interior comfort as well!

Ford is a Ford is a Ford
By Elderchuck

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Tie rods go out too often or am I driving it too hard? Acceleration is great, AC takes way too much and Ford knows best and won't let you turn the compressor off while leaving the fan on. Seats could be more comfortable; are good for about an hour. Stiff shifter needs lubing too often. Best thing car goes fast and gets 34 MPG. Brakes too light for car.

Engine with split port induction. A true coupe with no pillar on doors. Good car.

Tie rods, seats, brakes.

Cost Effective from Day One
By Deborah

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought this brand new $8500 + tax / license/0.9% interest. 5 speed manual transmission no bells or whistles. 34 mpg. 6 years old with 130,000 miles. We have replaced the tires twice and the alternator. The interior has withstood our daily use with the exception of the the foam in the left rear bottom of the drivers seat is starting to degrade and crumble out the bottom. I highly recommend this model based on our personal experience. I strongly feel that we will get another 100,000 miles out of this with minimal dollars on maintenance. Our true cost to own so far: $18,862/6 years/$0.1451 per mile including gas, insurance, maintenance, deprecation based on ~$2900 current value (which would be an easy sale @ 34mpg!).

34 mpg - 34 mpg - 34 mpg. $ for $ this thing exceeds a hybrid for overall $ value. Our base model is not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but this thing has all you really need to get to work and car pool inexpensively.

Nothing. My husband is 6'4" and he is quite comfortable driving this commuter car. We spent 2 weeks "sitting" in all the other commuter models in 2000 - this was the roomiest (front and back seats included) says our 6'5", 275 pound friend.

Best for the Price
By App zx2

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

As an avid ZX2 owner, I have learned a lot about this car though ownership and research. For a purchase price of $11,600 brand new, this car has been worth every penny. Performance was at the top of its price class at the time (and now), and few cars sold today that come close to the ZX2's average ~$13,500 price in 2000 can match it in this respect. Taut handling, brisk acceleration, a "drive-me" personality and outstanding fuel economy (depends on your driving style!) have made this a perfect car for a young driver (16- 22+ years). The back seats are surprisingly roomy for a 2 door coupe, with headroom the only vice for rear passengers over five-ten. Overall, I recommend this car!

Fun-to-Drive personality, brisk acceleration in an economical package (a very light car = go and gas mileage), safe, fuel economy!, styling, inexpensive to buy and maintain. There is plenty of aftermarket support if you look in the right places. A great value car!

Though a good car, here are suggestions (these things kept new price down): The front seats are not very comfortable, wider rims to fit common tire sizes, needs thicker rear sway bar, noisy. Fix: You can directly fit a thicker sway bar from any junkyard 91-96 Ford Escort for ~$50.