Used 2000 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Powerful little car
By KcoonZX2

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought my ZX2 about a year ago. It had damage when I bought it and the previous owner was careless about maintaining the vehicle so I had to put some money into it. After putting in a new transmission and new clutch at 130,000 miles I have not had a single problem with the Ford Escort. I deliver pizza and put about 300-400 miles a week on my Escort.(The big trunk helps!) I haven't had to do anything mechanical after fixing the previous owners problems.

Interior is nice. 5 speed, great power for a small, light car! Lots of trunk space. Easy to keep clean. Chrome alloy rims!

Limited rearview vision. Water leaks in when you use your wipers with the window down. Hard to get in and out of if you're tall. Clutch/tranny die at arouind 130,000. Speakers/sound system is pretty poor also. (I would suggest going to Wal- Mart and buying a couple of rear speakers.)

Base line economy car
By block1974

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought new with 0 miles and I got my moneys worth. Now has 145,000 and almost everything has been replaced except the engine. The transmission rebuilt at a shocking 80,000. Other repairs was tie rods, radiator, alternator at the 120-130,000 mark. It is comfy, and small. Low power, so don't expect to get anywhere soon. Noisy on the highway, and do not go past 80 mph or you will see blue smoke from the tailpipe. Great for city and short trips.

Better quality parts

So so
By fee1234

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

This car started off pretty good for me and I put a lot of miles on it but after about 100,000 the motor started ticking and the transmission started to go. The car always had a bad shake to it and would not make a good family car (too small> good for getting around town and not long trips.

Good mileage

Escort
By stephen

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I love my Escort zx2. I too have also changed the tie rod. I have had a lot of vacuum leaks. I had to replace all the bearings. trensmission gets confused. It does not like stop and go traffic. Replaced transmission. The car hates the heat, you lose way too much power and gas when air conditioning is on. Have to put the pedal to the metal so I don't use it. Nice power, great handling...( eibach suspension). The serpentine belt loves to come off especially in rain. Very quiet car. Put rims on it so I have wider tires. Audio is very easy to do. Engine parts easy to change. Handles well in fender bender. Other than normal maintanance from being old... I love my car.

Mostly everything. I love how it looks, rides, mpg. Quiet car.

Rims have way too much weight to them. More power (of course), air conditioning, and how much it affects the engine power, too much wheel well room, maybe a little bit tinted windows, it is a sporty car.

The little car that could
By Bigmann

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought last year with only 23,000 miles on it. Since then I put 3,000 miles a month on it. This is a great little car. I get around 34-35 mph on the highway. This car now has 50,000 miles on it and besides normal oil changes i have replaced both tie rod ends, and put a new set of tires on it. Thats it!! My only gripe is that mine has a sunroof that leaks badly. The Ford dealer I took it to wants way too much money to fix so I had to permanently seal it. The sunroof trim also constantly comes unhooked. It never comes off but comes unhooked in the corners leaving a small gap. I am 6' 5" tall and the I have enough room in the front seats but barely. Overall a great car to go to work in. This is a great car I would buy this again if Ford still made them

Mine has a keyless entry / anti theft alarm system. For an econo car this is a wounderful feature. You just don't expect a car in this price range to have an option like this from the factory.

A sunroof that doesnt leak at 23,000 miles, bigger sideview mirrors, better tie rods, rear disk brakes, more fron seat padding, factory in dash cd player (not in the trunk). Anything that could make this car even more fuel efficient.