2000 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (55 reviews )
Best for the Price
By App zx2 on 06/16/06 23:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

As an avid ZX2 owner, I have learned a lot about this car though ownership and research. For a purchase price of $11,600 brand new, this car has been worth every penny. Performance was at the top of its price class at the time (and now), and few cars sold today that come close to the ZX2's average ~$13,500 price in 2000 can match it in this respect. Taut handling, brisk acceleration, a "drive-me" personality and outstanding fuel economy (depends on your driving style!) have made this a perfect car for a young driver (16- 22+ years). The back seats are surprisingly roomy for a 2 door coupe, with headroom the only vice for rear passengers over five-ten. Overall, I recommend this car!

glad they stopped making this car
By Aaron on 05/20/06 14:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

At first I loved this car. But it can only handle so much. It is an econobox. I replaced the wheel bearings, the head, one of the cams and tie rods. This car is great but it isn't made "Ford tough". It lacks power when needed and there is only one place to get "performance" parts for it. But still you'll never get this car to go faster than most imports of the same class.

I Love my ZX2
By John on 03/04/06 17:20 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I haven't had ONE problem with my ZX2. It's too bad they don't make them anymore. I've got 116,000 miles on it. I replaced tie rod.

Kicking car
By Jeff on 02/15/06 19:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

During the time that I have had this car, I have had no problems what-so-ever. This is the best car out of all the cars that I have ever owned, it is so fun to drive because it is small and quick. Only because I am moving out of country am I going to be getting rid of it. Love the car, if you get the opportunity to buy one, do so. I feel that this is a great starter car, and a great commuter car.

Fun and Reliable
By headwinds on 11/08/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car off the lot (with 15 miles on it); it was fully loaded with options (power locks and windows, moon roof, 6 CD player). So far, it's been great to drive and very reliable, with only routine maintenance (tires, oil change, etc) needed.

Power Train
By Mike on 04/25/05 10:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

So I have only had this car for 6 months. Bought it as part of a voluntary repo from my credit union. It had 30,400 miles on it, and had 35,234 when the car became locked in second somehow and the gears fused together. To repair from the original dealer is $1,600; to replace is $3,200 plus labor. Seems rather costly since it is a manual. I have owned a Ford Taurus, Acura Legend, Honda Accord, and then this ZX2. My Honda cars were reliable and fun to drive. These Fords have been costly.

My Baby
By JJEANR3 on 01/23/05 23:16 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for almost 3 years in June and i have had only one thing happen to it and that had something to do with the gear shifter and the warranty covered that. All around it is a great car for anyone. I have put almost 50,000 miles on it and it is still going, like it is new.

hooray for the ZX2
By electroniceyes on 11/30/04 15:42 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I got my ZX2 used in February '04 so I don't have the years experience with it. I love how nicely it handles and the gas mileage is a real plus; stereo is awesome for a stock stereo. I only wish my ZX2 had power windows/door locks; the crank windows are a real problem sometimes and it's a real pain having to reach across to let people in my car. I also wish is didn't vibrate like one of those massage chairs when at idle.

Heather's Review
By HeatherD617 on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I love this car - the only thing better would be if it was a manual transmission. But for an automatic, it puts out a decent amount of power and is very fun to drive!

Fun to drive on short trips
By Elderchuck on 05/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

This Escort has been typical of the three Escorts we have owned previously. Well built, short on options, reliable, and hard on the back when sitting over an hour. Nagging problem with engine mounts (accelerator slaps foot and clunks on starts and stops and bad tie rods).