2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
WOW! What A Beast I Have.
By J Riles on 10/28/06 17:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I brought this car basically because I was excited in buying my first car. Anyways since then the car has been like a trusty companion. Every time I think it's gonna give out on me it just keeps kicking. Right now I'm in the 20's as far as mileage and she runs like when i first brought her. Great A to B car.

Ford is a Ford is a Ford
By Elderchuck on 09/03/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Tie rods go out too often or am I driving it too hard? Acceleration is great, AC takes way too much and Ford knows best and won't let you turn the compressor off while leaving the fan on. Seats could be more comfortable; are good for about an hour. Stiff shifter needs lubing too often. Best thing car goes fast and gets 34 MPG. Brakes too light for car.

Cost Effective from Day One
By Deborah on 06/22/06 14:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought this brand new $8500 + tax / license/0.9% interest. 5 speed manual transmission no bells or whistles. 34 mpg. 6 years old with 130,000 miles. We have replaced the tires twice and the alternator. The interior has withstood our daily use with the exception of the the foam in the left rear bottom of the drivers seat is starting to degrade and crumble out the bottom. I highly recommend this model based on our personal experience. I strongly feel that we will get another 100,000 miles out of this with minimal dollars on maintenance. Our true cost to own so far: $18,862/6 years/$0.1451 per mile including gas, insurance, maintenance, deprecation based on ~$2900 current value (which would be an easy sale @ 34mpg!).

Best for the Price
By App zx2 on 06/16/06 23:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

As an avid ZX2 owner, I have learned a lot about this car though ownership and research. For a purchase price of $11,600 brand new, this car has been worth every penny. Performance was at the top of its price class at the time (and now), and few cars sold today that come close to the ZX2's average ~$13,500 price in 2000 can match it in this respect. Taut handling, brisk acceleration, a "drive-me" personality and outstanding fuel economy (depends on your driving style!) have made this a perfect car for a young driver (16- 22+ years). The back seats are surprisingly roomy for a 2 door coupe, with headroom the only vice for rear passengers over five-ten. Overall, I recommend this car!

glad they stopped making this car
By Aaron on 05/20/06 14:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

At first I loved this car. But it can only handle so much. It is an econobox. I replaced the wheel bearings, the head, one of the cams and tie rods. This car is great but it isn't made "Ford tough". It lacks power when needed and there is only one place to get "performance" parts for it. But still you'll never get this car to go faster than most imports of the same class.

I Love my ZX2
By John on 03/04/06 17:20 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I haven't had ONE problem with my ZX2. It's too bad they don't make them anymore. I've got 116,000 miles on it. I replaced tie rod.

Kicking car
By Jeff on 02/15/06 19:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

During the time that I have had this car, I have had no problems what-so-ever. This is the best car out of all the cars that I have ever owned, it is so fun to drive because it is small and quick. Only because I am moving out of country am I going to be getting rid of it. Love the car, if you get the opportunity to buy one, do so. I feel that this is a great starter car, and a great commuter car.

Fun and Reliable
By headwinds on 11/08/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car off the lot (with 15 miles on it); it was fully loaded with options (power locks and windows, moon roof, 6 CD player). So far, it's been great to drive and very reliable, with only routine maintenance (tires, oil change, etc) needed.

Good Car
By Bodacious on 06/08/05 11:01 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

This car was the first car I ever purchased. It is great for anyone who just needs to go from point A to point B. This car is great for single or family use. Its great on gas mileage and needs little maintenance. I bought it used with only 10,000 miles and have only replaced the tires, battery, and brake pads after hitting 50,000. This car shakes a lot while idle, though it isn't anything serious. It is so easy to drive as well. You can literally make turns with one hand since the car is so easy to maneuver.

Power Train
By Mike on 04/25/05 10:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

So I have only had this car for 6 months. Bought it as part of a voluntary repo from my credit union. It had 30,400 miles on it, and had 35,234 when the car became locked in second somehow and the gears fused together. To repair from the original dealer is $1,600; to replace is $3,200 plus labor. Seems rather costly since it is a manual. I have owned a Ford Taurus, Acura Legend, Honda Accord, and then this ZX2. My Honda cars were reliable and fun to drive. These Fords have been costly.