2000 Ford Escort Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

2000 Escort Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

2000 Ford escort
By ggragg

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

Got this car for free from a buddy that left for the army, 157000 miles, getting about 33.5 mpg interstate, 28 in town. Runs great, looks good. Nice gift.

Don't expect over 100K miles out of this
By hopingsoul

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 700 miles on it and it performed very well with no problems until 115K miles the engine blew. I changed the oil every 3-4K miles, so I thought it would last. It had this most annoying vibration after about 50K miles and I was told it was the motor mounts. Then I started working 60 miles away and it performed fine, except for the vibrating. I was sitting in traffic for about 30 minutes, no over heating, no warning and it stalled and that was it, there's a hole in the engine. Other than poor life span, I thought it was a great car. The only thing changed was an alternator. A parts house told me these engines are notorious for blowing unexpectedly.

Favorite Features

Gas was great, I got 35 mpg on freeway, 25 city.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the vibration, make it last longer.

WOW! What A Beast I Have.
By J Riles

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I brought this car basically because I was excited in buying my first car. Anyways since then the car has been like a trusty companion. Every time I think it's gonna give out on me it just keeps kicking. Right now I'm in the 20's as far as mileage and she runs like when i first brought her. Great A to B car.

Favorite Features

None really, but I've been in an accident with a cab driver and walked away with scratches while his cab was devastated. (LOL!)

Suggested Improvements

Exterior stylish look and interior comfort as well!

Good Car
By Bodacious

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was the first car I ever purchased. It is great for anyone who just needs to go from point A to point B. This car is great for single or family use. Its great on gas mileage and needs little maintenance. I bought it used with only 10,000 miles and have only replaced the tires, battery, and brake pads after hitting 50,000. This car shakes a lot while idle, though it isn't anything serious. It is so easy to drive as well. You can literally make turns with one hand since the car is so easy to maneuver.

Favorite Features

The stereo system for this car is nice. It is not flashy or anything, but it has a great sound system for internal use. The trunk is very spacious for the size.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and higher seats. The seats are too comfortable, similar to a recliner. Also it should have an option to disable the seat belt and key warning sound. It is annoying if you have the keys in the car and just want to listen to the radio or have the door open.

A better roller skate
By jemjunior

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I needed a car in a hurry. I had good working relations with a local car rental dealer. Picked up the Escort with 32,000 miles for a good price. It has been a very reliable mode of transportation. My teenage daughter learned to drive in it. I still use it every day for back and forth to work. I plan on fixing it and driving it until the wheels fall off. I haven't had any trouble besides normal wear and tear items. Be advised - the Escort doesn't "DO" anything. It just starts up, drives, and comes home.

Favorite Features

Initial Cost. Parts cost and availability. It is a CHEAP Car to own and operate.

Suggested Improvements

Although it outperforms the original 'beetle' in most categories, it will never be an equal because this car has no character!

EXCELLENT CAR
By Tim Nall

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT MY ESCORT IN 2001(A YEAR OLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT). IT'S BEEN A WONDERFUL CAR FOR ME. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR. IT'S MAINTAINENCE FREE.

Favorite Features

THE COLOR IS BEAUTIFUL AND IT RUNS VERY WELL

Suggested Improvements

IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE CAR TO BE HEAVIER.

jo 2000
By joe_1

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Ford Escort SE sedan on 02/15/02 and havn't had a major problem yet. This is a very good car to drive since it is one of the best Escort modles that rolled of the production line.Great acceleration on city streets,but going up hills can be a bit of a challeng since there is only 110 hores under it's hood.

Favorite Features

i really enjoy the Escort's body style from 97-2002 for the sedan.Standard 2.0, 4 cyl engine,with 110 hp. Rear folding seats.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower for that extra boost going uphill and merging on major highways. More leg room in the rear for back seat passengers.

Its a good little car
By tboner

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I really like this little car. It handles the tough winters up here in the Northeast. Starts everyday, handles the snow & ice good. Peppy little 4 cylinder, although I wish I had the standard. I am a 5 speed fanatic. I don't find the car uncomfortable at all. A lot of other smaller car will make my bum go to sleep after an hour or two, but not so with this one. My previous car was a 1997 Hyundai Accent, which was a great little car, but the escort has the upper hand over the accent.

Favorite Features

comfort, peppy engine, handling, ac is always ice cold

Suggested Improvements

loses alot of power with ac on

Love My Escort
By Jdup

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

A ford escort is usually a car that people joke about but to tell you. I had good luck with mine. I had a 1997 escort wagon and currently own a 2000 sedan. There are real good cars. Im 6'2 and yeah its kinda tight but it dont stop me from driving it. I longest I spent driving it was about 15 hours. Its got a peppy 2.0 inline 4 cyl. But who needs all that power anyway. The fastest you can go is 65mph.

Favorite Features

Seats are like a LAZY-BOY Recliner. Radio picks up pretty good. (Not Bad Sound)

Suggested Improvements

I just wish these cars come with cruise control. I know these cars have it but very few do. Love to see a little more power. Turn the A/C on and you will lose power.

I only rented this car
By Jason McGovern

2000 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I rented this car after rolling my 2000 corolla. Not a bad car. I know the specs only show 114 HP, and 120 fp of torque. But that's LOW END TORQUE. This car gets running from the get go (because Ford believes in torque unlike most imports). The ride is fairly alright, interior is very basic. It's a basic car. If you can get a deal on one of these I would most likely recommend it.

Favorite Features

Low end torque:) I have had two imports (toyota and maza) for the past two years. Low end power is something I miss from domestic cars.

Suggested Improvements

This is meant to be a cheapie car. No bells and whistles, just a point A-B, and does it not too badly. The interior however, has a fairly cheap looking design. Especially the inside door handles, could snap if you tried.