2000 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (56 reviews )
Great first car if in good condition
By cjbe2 on 10/01/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for just under a year and am happy with it. It has 140000 miles, but still runs strong. Not the prettiest car inside or out, but for a family on a budget with a teenager that just started driving, this is a great car

Pizza Car
By funglemuffin on 10/25/12 10:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

Ive had this car for two and a half years now and regrettably looking to get rid of. As a student i dont have time to fix the massive oil/coolant leak and fix whatever is making it run lean. had about 140000 miles now and got it with 116000. Replaced clutch at about 130 both tie rods, timing belt, turn signal switch and regular maintenance. Great when it's working, but here always seems to be a problem. I will admit i did drive it pretty hard delivering pizzas.

Nice Car
By 00menace on 09/08/11 22:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought it in 2005 with 25K miles. 5 years laters at 85K miles I had the transmission rebuilt, and replaced clutch while I was at it. Now the ignition key lock broke and I can't get the key out! oh well, no one steals Fords anyways. Rubber fell off gas, brake and clutch, plastic off both seats levers, trunk lock sticks in low temperatures but those don't bother me. But that is it, I've had no engine trouble so far, first battery lasted 9 years!

Ok for a 1st car but has problems.
By bmoreballer2008 on 07/30/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought it used with 60k miles on it. It shakes very bad during idle, a lot of electrical problems, wasn't designed very well, battery continues to die for no reason. A good thing is that it is fun to drive when the problems don't overwhelm you.

10 years, still ridin'
By MrsBlanes on 07/21/10 17:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought mine brand new. The only things I have had to replace yet are the alternator, timing belt,and the clutch master cylinder. It has been a great car and will still leave rubber behind if I get on it. 151 thousand miles and still running strong. I have a 5 speed and have had NO issues with the transmission. Keep up on the maintenance and you won't have any problems.

OK
By Ralph on 03/31/10 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I like the car but I have had numerous problems. It has had fuel pump and gas tank problems, crankshaft sensor issues, vacuum hose breaks, electrical problems, and starter problems. Headlights are not good for several reasons,weak, lens fog or etches from the inside and appear hard to replace with stronger bulb. During the rusty fuel pump time, had to replace platinum plugs after only about 10,000 miles. Transmission fluid become dirty quickly after change and shifting could be much better. Had to replace one of the battery cable wires. Hood release failed to work and cable extremely difficult to remove.

Still a good car
By HHAH on 03/19/10 14:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought this 2000 ZX2 at Sept. 2009, 140K miles, I spent $1800 and another $800 to maintain it, so for so good. I like it

poor front end
By nikdominoe on 02/02/10 17:33 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

i have had this car for about a year, i have ad to replace the bushings, alternator, and battery. I also need a front end alignment and new ti-rods. It shakes wayyy to much in idle. steering wheel clicks when i turn it for sum reason... tires run out of air every two weeks i would never rec amend this car to anyone

My Escort ZX2
By Nick Linehan on 01/14/10 09:59 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with the intention of taking it to race tracks. considering it will do 125 stock... me and my buddies tinkered with it a lil bit... it runs great... gets excellent gas mileage and gets me where i need to go... fast... if anybody is thinking of buying one... its the car id recomend

Meh
By bawbi on 12/06/09 21:22 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

This was my second car bought for me for my 17th birthday. It had 8 miles on it, i loved how peppy it was and it was fun to drive, but not very well built. I honked the horn after owning it a few months, and it stuck, the horn wouldn't stop honking i had to pull the fuse out. I kept getting flat tires every few months on the back passenger side and the interior shook SOOOO badly when idle especially when the AC was running. it was actually really embarrassing to have ppl ride with me they thought the car was about to explode!