Used 2000 Ford Escort ZX2 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (55 reviews )

Pizza Car
By funglemuffin

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

Ive had this car for two and a half years now and regrettably looking to get rid of. As a student i dont have time to fix the massive oil/coolant leak and fix whatever is making it run lean. had about 140000 miles now and got it with 116000. Replaced clutch at about 130 both tie rods, timing belt, turn signal switch and regular maintenance. Great when it's working, but here always seems to be a problem. I will admit i did drive it pretty hard delivering pizzas.

Favorite Features

Quick, fun to drive with tight handling as long as tie rod ends are taken care of. Manual transmission is fun and quick throttle response. Cheap paid 1500. Im 6'4 and fit great in interior.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better reliability, just to often its back on jackstands with me getting frustrated.

Nice Car
By 00menace

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought it in 2005 with 25K miles. 5 years laters at 85K miles I had the transmission rebuilt, and replaced clutch while I was at it. Now the ignition key lock broke and I can't get the key out! oh well, no one steals Fords anyways. Rubber fell off gas, brake and clutch, plastic off both seats levers, trunk lock sticks in low temperatures but those don't bother me. But that is it, I've had no engine trouble so far, first battery lasted 9 years!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Fast. Why do I get 40mpg in 100F degree weather? but usually 30-36mpg, depending if I let my wife drive "Upshift woman!".

Suggested Improvements

Road Noise, 5th seat, Oil filter is hard to get too even with my small arms. Serpentine belt looks impossible to change, praying it lasts another 10 years. Stupid car was shipped/sold in California, Why wasn't AC standard?!

Ok for a 1st car but has problems.
By bmoreballer2008

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought it used with 60k miles on it. It shakes very bad during idle, a lot of electrical problems, wasn't designed very well, battery continues to die for no reason. A good thing is that it is fun to drive when the problems don't overwhelm you.

Favorite Features

Sporty, Fun to drive, has a little bit of get up

Suggested Improvements

An overall better product

10 years, still ridin'
By MrsBlanes

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I bought mine brand new. The only things I have had to replace yet are the alternator, timing belt,and the clutch master cylinder. It has been a great car and will still leave rubber behind if I get on it. 151 thousand miles and still running strong. I have a 5 speed and have had NO issues with the transmission. Keep up on the maintenance and you won't have any problems.

Favorite Features

375 miles to a tank of gas. No vibration or road noise. Has NEVER left me walking.

Suggested Improvements

none

OK
By Ralph

2000 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe

I like the car but I have had numerous problems. It has had fuel pump and gas tank problems, crankshaft sensor issues, vacuum hose breaks, electrical problems, and starter problems. Headlights are not good for several reasons,weak, lens fog or etches from the inside and appear hard to replace with stronger bulb. During the rusty fuel pump time, had to replace platinum plugs after only about 10,000 miles. Transmission fluid become dirty quickly after change and shifting could be much better. Had to replace one of the battery cable wires. Hood release failed to work and cable extremely difficult to remove.

Favorite Features

It looks good and when everything is running right, it is fun to drive. It is more comfortable than it would seem for long trips