Used 2000 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great first car if in good condition
By cjbe2

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for just under a year and am happy with it. It has 140000 miles, but still runs strong. Not the prettiest car inside or out, but for a family on a budget with a teenager that just started driving, this is a great car

Suggested Improvements

Motor mounts

Pizza Car
By funglemuffin

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Ive had this car for two and a half years now and regrettably looking to get rid of. As a student i dont have time to fix the massive oil/coolant leak and fix whatever is making it run lean. had about 140000 miles now and got it with 116000. Replaced clutch at about 130 both tie rods, timing belt, turn signal switch and regular maintenance. Great when it's working, but here always seems to be a problem. I will admit i did drive it pretty hard delivering pizzas.

Favorite Features

Quick, fun to drive with tight handling as long as tie rod ends are taken care of. Manual transmission is fun and quick throttle response. Cheap paid 1500. Im 6'4 and fit great in interior.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better reliability, just to often its back on jackstands with me getting frustrated.

2000 Ford escort
By ggragg

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Got this car for free from a buddy that left for the army, 157000 miles, getting about 33.5 mpg interstate, 28 in town. Runs great, looks good. Nice gift.

Nice Car
By 00menace

2000 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe

Bought it in 2005 with 25K miles. 5 years laters at 85K miles I had the transmission rebuilt, and replaced clutch while I was at it. Now the ignition key lock broke and I can't get the key out! oh well, no one steals Fords anyways. Rubber fell off gas, brake and clutch, plastic off both seats levers, trunk lock sticks in low temperatures but those don't bother me. But that is it, I've had no engine trouble so far, first battery lasted 9 years!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Fast. Why do I get 40mpg in 100F degree weather? but usually 30-36mpg, depending if I let my wife drive "Upshift woman!".

Suggested Improvements

Road Noise, 5th seat, Oil filter is hard to get too even with my small arms. Serpentine belt looks impossible to change, praying it lasts another 10 years. Stupid car was shipped/sold in California, Why wasn't AC standard?!

Don't expect over 100K miles out of this
By hopingsoul

2000 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 700 miles on it and it performed very well with no problems until 115K miles the engine blew. I changed the oil every 3-4K miles, so I thought it would last. It had this most annoying vibration after about 50K miles and I was told it was the motor mounts. Then I started working 60 miles away and it performed fine, except for the vibrating. I was sitting in traffic for about 30 minutes, no over heating, no warning and it stalled and that was it, there's a hole in the engine. Other than poor life span, I thought it was a great car. The only thing changed was an alternator. A parts house told me these engines are notorious for blowing unexpectedly.

Favorite Features

Gas was great, I got 35 mpg on freeway, 25 city.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the vibration, make it last longer.