1999 Ford Escort Consumer Review: Very practical car for cost

1999 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Review

Very practical car for cost
By Chris Hadley on

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over 2 years ago now. The only problem is the engine developed a shimmy around the 45,000 mile mark. I took it to the dealership and they gave me some crap about tubing or something. It cost me $95 but it fixed the only problem. I got into an accident where I was struck sideways in the back and I walked away and the car was able to be fixed. I was hit by a VERY large truck so I was impressed by the build quality. The car is a smooth ride and peppy for a 4 cyl. engine. I have put well over 7,500 interstate miles on this car in the last year. GREAT CAR!

My model really has no features. The AC and heat get cold and hot very very quickly tho, which is nice when it is either really hot or really cold. Automatic trans is smooth as well and the gas mileage is great! (9 gals takes me from Indianapolis, IN to Valparaiso, IN and back)

VERY very noisy engine on interstate. I keep the radio at 21 out of 30 in order to block the noise. Needs better engine insulation to block noise.