Sporty, economical & less than a Celica
By teriana on
1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe
I purchased the car with 93,000 mi on it and paid $4,300 out the door with every option available (over half the price of the Celica's I was looking at). The car has an awesome stereo with premium sound. I drove it until 119,000. The only thing I had to replace was the thermostat. When I bought it, it did have a slight transmission leak that I always meant to have fixed. Instead I just put more fluid in every once in a while. When I sold the car, it did seem like it had the beginnings of real transmission trouble, but I'm not positive. Trans problems are the one thing that can plague this vehicle. I can't ignore the fact, though, that my brother-in- law owned two with over 250,000 miles.
Favorite Features
The car has a lot of get up and go. I never drag raced in it, but if I needed to beat someone off the light, I could do it easily. I averaged 26 MPG in city/hwy driving. And I wasn't light footed either. The best I ever got was 33 MPG. Saved me $1,600 in gas over my last wreck of a car ('89 Beretta)
Suggested Improvements
I went on an 1,100 mile road trip through Canada. By the third day my sides were aching. The seats are extremely uncomfortable for long trips. The engine is a little loud, which is great for passing people, but it's a tad embarrassing when the car's just sitting there warming.