1999 Ford Escort Consumer Review: Excellent Commuter Car

1999 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Review

Excellent Commuter Car
By scortracer on

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Just got this car not too long ago but it has been in the family for about 3 years. I don't really have to do anything with it besides change the fluids and get new brakes ... just normal wear and tear. The car has about 78K on it and I expect another 100K more at least. The tranny sometimes shifts rough and it idles shaky but I heard those are normal Escort traits. It gets great gas mileage and is quite comfortable to ride in and also handles a lot better than most other small cars. I had a 96 Escort and this generation seems worlds better. I don't know why people are running out and getting Japanese cars, I'd take my little 'Scort over a Corolla or Civic any day. The build quality is great.

Keyless entry, power everything, great MPG, peppy & reliable little motor. Fairly roomy for its size. Better build quality than my 96 or my grandparents 02 Cavalier.

Mostly just minor. Needs a tilt wheel. Stupid ICP makes it difficult to install an aftermarket CD player. You should be able to get the ZX2's 130hp DOHC 2.0. An antenna built into the A-pillar.