Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great bang for your buck
By dunnr

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new and we now have 117k miles on it and have never done anything to it except the 100k mile tune up. It has been well worth the purchase price and if Ford still made them we would buy another one.

Favorite Features

With the 5 speed tranny we get 35mpg. Love the keyless entry, great design for the year.

Suggested Improvements

Less hassle to replace the factory radio which is built in with the heater control panel.

Found On Road Dead
By NoMoreFords

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car seemed to work alright up until about 65,000 miles...then I found myself in and out of the dealership/repair shops every few months. I would not buy a Ford again, lesson learned.

Favorite Features

It is a cute car. If I was not always repairing it, it would have been a better car.

Suggested Improvements

Like it to have been more reliable overall.

Great economy car
By MHW814

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for seven years and have only had to replace brakes and tires and a wiper blade now and then. It's a great car for girls because all of the fluid caps are have labels and the rear seats fold down so you can fit all of your shopping items in the car.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seats, gas mileage, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the rear seat and more head room.

Not bad
By Felicia

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort from a couple who wanted a newer car. It had high miles for the year, but didn't look bad at all. I've had Escorts and other Fords before and this car has been the best one for me to drive. Body looks good, inside fits 1 adult, 2 kids and a big dog pretty good. I had a few problems with it, such as the brakes, and now I'm told something is broken in the engine, but that little car still moves. Has always been good on gas, and the only time it left me stranded was when I got a dead battery. I drove this car hard. I live in a hilly region and I tend to lay on the gas. The tranny is good, it's just that some mounting thing in the engine is broke, so the car can take a beating.

Favorite Features

Good on gas, big enough for family of 4, pretty good speakers too.

Suggested Improvements

Light for shifter.

She runs like a champ, no matter what
By Maleficus

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased my used ZX2 about 2 years ago, with 58,000 miles on the clock. Since then, she's only let me down once, and that was because I hadn't performed a regular maintenance item. The timing belt slipped so it wouldn't run, took it to a shop who didn't know what they were doing and they told me my cold air intake and header were why she wouldn't idle (at ALL). Well, they were wrong, the timing was still off. For a year, she's been running with bad timing and she runs like a champ, well, to a certain degree. As soon as I fix the timing (myself!), I'm positive she'll be back to her old zippy, fun self. Please, please buy one of these cars, you won't regret it.

Favorite Features

First and foremost, it's a Ford. She's zippy and fun to drive, plus just about bullet-proof.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic transmission is very weak.