1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Buy This Car If You Hate Yourself
By Arun Singh on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my parents, mainly because they severely disliked driving it. While I am grateful for having a means of transportation, I would have rather had a good used car than a brand new Escort. They had only used it for 2 years when they gave this car to me, and had taken fairly good care of it. I only recently started having problems (when it was roughly four years old) with the transmission and the engine. It has surges of powers and shifts very hard. The interior and exterior styling is forgettable.

Solid transportation
By MartinPawley on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've maintained the car, and it has performed well. The rear suspension needed to be replaced after a spring broke, but that has been the only mechanical disappointment.

GOOD CHEAP PERFORMANCE CAR
By jkk1 on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car. NO warranty or mechanical problems at all.

Good car, but too small
By Madmatt55 on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had a good experience with this car, but I have outgrown it. I have had very few repairs to make in the 3 years of ownership. Watch for rear brake caliper leaks. Finding replacement tires can be expensive as the tires are of an odd size. I am using a slightly taller tire and it works out fine. I also advise any owner to buy a K&N air filter for this car. It does make a difference. If I had the choice, i would get this car with a 5 speed.

Regret buying a Ford Escort
By "S"CortsSuk on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I leased a Ford Escort SE back in Oct of 1999, and I totally regretted my decision a few days later. I had so many problems with it in the beginning. I also had to replace the suspension after two years, which cost me $1,000. Back in Dec of 2003, I had to replace the engine too. That cost me a lot of money. It is a cheap car to own, but no resale value. It is also an ugly car. I don't recommend American economy cars. Get a Civic or Corolla instead.

DO NOT BUY A ZX2
By nofx on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

After approximately 48,000 mi of driving this car completley went south. I provided regular maintainence and oil changes, yet still had to have the engine and transmission replaced at 48,000 mi.

Great vehicle
By kca on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was our 5th Escort, and like all of the others, it has been a great vehicle. Repairs have been minimal and more importantly very inexpensive. We consider these vehicles basic transportation, and they have delivered on their promise. The SE is much quieter than the other models and has been more comfortable to drive. The Escort has been available in the USA since 1981, but has a much longer history in europe (around 1960).

My Favorite Car Pick
By AngeMSU on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is my second escort and I love it. I bought it used with especially low miles, and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Defiantly worth more then it's priced at.

Great car for the money
By loyalhall on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought it as a used ex-lease car at 3 yrs and 35K. Compared to other small economy cars it is excellent. Peppy, good handling, excellent in snow, gas miliage ave 30mpg, and a very tight turning radius. On the downside, it takes the most expensive parts. Sparkplugs were double a normal economy car and likewise with tires. I did have to replace the alternator ($125 part) and drive belt ($30) but otherwise have had no problems. The oil filter is just about impossible to get to so you will be taking it to the lube shop. Good amount of road noise and gets uncomfortable on long road trips, but 2-3 hour trips are ok. But what do you expect for $6.5K, a BMW?

transmission
By mess on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

transmission went out on my '99 after 78,000 miles. It was well maintained.