Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Black and Beautiful
By turboDREAMS

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My Escort has almost 180k on it now and has never let me down. Ever. She sees high rpms on a daily basis because of how fun this ride is! 5spd is definitely the way to go and the response is outstanding. I thought escorts were grandma cars until i noticed civics trying to keep up! The handling is so smooth that i sometimes forget that I am in an Escort. All my friends look to the ground with rising gas prices as I enjoy the day no matter what with my easily captured 35mpg. Fuel economy is simply amazing in this car! If you want an affordable car that just won't leave you in the dust or stranded, and out runs half the hybrids in the mpg test, i can confidently say "go with the Escort!"

Favorite Features

Handling, visibility, and throttle response.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, sexier headlights, larger tachometer, and a redline that at least goes to 6500 rpms instead of the lonesome 5800 redline. Come on Ford, put the cards on the table!

Great
By HERB

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Drives and handles great. Looks great. Drove it to New Orleans and back last year with no problems at all. Didn't even have it checked out before I left, I have that much faith in it. Just routine maintenance, nothing more.

Favorite Features

I like the way the manual transmission revs. Great looks. Never a problem with the cd changer or the roof.

Suggested Improvements

None. If the rear seats were roomier it wouldn't look the same.

Best Little Car!
By Jen

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new, other than normal maintenence, I've had no problems, never been stranded. It's getting older and the seats aren't what they use to be, but old age will do that to you. I'm wondering how many miles my Black Beauty will see.178,000 and counting.

Favorite Features

Great on gas! Inexpensive to maintain. Very reliable. Wish they still made them!

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of any, its been great for the price!

Sporty, economical & less than a Celica
By teriana

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with 93,000 mi on it and paid $4,300 out the door with every option available (over half the price of the Celica's I was looking at). The car has an awesome stereo with premium sound. I drove it until 119,000. The only thing I had to replace was the thermostat. When I bought it, it did have a slight transmission leak that I always meant to have fixed. Instead I just put more fluid in every once in a while. When I sold the car, it did seem like it had the beginnings of real transmission trouble, but I'm not positive. Trans problems are the one thing that can plague this vehicle. I can't ignore the fact, though, that my brother-in- law owned two with over 250,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The car has a lot of get up and go. I never drag raced in it, but if I needed to beat someone off the light, I could do it easily. I averaged 26 MPG in city/hwy driving. And I wasn't light footed either. The best I ever got was 33 MPG. Saved me $1,600 in gas over my last wreck of a car ('89 Beretta)

Suggested Improvements

I went on an 1,100 mile road trip through Canada. By the third day my sides were aching. The seats are extremely uncomfortable for long trips. The engine is a little loud, which is great for passing people, but it's a tad embarrassing when the car's just sitting there warming.

Good, reliable transportation
By ringo423

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Though somewhat vanilla, this car has been exceptionally reliable through the years. Good gas mileage and perfoms very well in all types of weather. Cabin fairly noisy on the highway

Favorite Features

Reliable

Suggested Improvements

Cabin too noisy