1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Noisiest car I've ever owned
By Larry Cole on 04/09/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

The reason I was drawn to this car was that it had an excellent sound system (six-CD changer/tape player). But as time wore on, the road and engine noise became so annoying that even high volume on the stereo was not enough to drown out the incessant noise.

Trade before 140,000km!
By Lynne on 03/09/05 10:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have to admit that my ZX2 has been a good car. Bought it new in 1999. Safe and solid (i hit a tree and walked away). So Ford builds tough thats for sure! However, it seems no one tells you that around 140,000 km's that your automatic transmission will blow up. Oh heres the stinger - $3000 to fix! I had to take out a loan to fix it. I talked to the dealer and they laughed and said they knew this would happen when the sold it to me.

Great College Car
By Ben Reed on 02/11/05 13:32 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Escort with 90,000 miles on the odometer. I was looking for a late model car that would be easier on my wallet than the Pathfinder I had been driving. I average about 37-38 MPG on the highway, but have noticed a dramatic drop in city driving. The car has enough power to move it down the highway at speed, but acceleration, even with the 5 speed, is somewhat lacking. Road noise is minimal, and the sound system works exceptionally well, considering the rural environment I live in. My only complaint so far is a scrubbing/grinding noise when the brakes are spplied. I suspect either the rotors are warped or the brake pads are worn. Easy fix in either case.

Great 1st Car
By ZX2 Driver on 01/17/05 14:41 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This was my first personally-owned car, a 5-speed Sport model. This car has great performance for a budget car. With about 71,000 miles, there have been a lot more squeaks and rattles showing up. The interior of the car is also fairly noisy. There aren't too many aftermarket parts for this car (especially compared to the Civic). Ford made a special-edition S/R model, and parts are still available to upgrade the basic ZX2 to achieve the S/R's better performance. So far the only major things I've had to replace are the alternator and the 3rd gear synchro. The manual trannies in these cars aren't the strongest, but if you don't abuse it, it should last. I'm still on the original clutch.

Teenager (with little money)
By an escort? on 12/23/04 12:02 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My Escort does not run well. The exhaust manifold got a crack in it and it takes a whole block to get up to 25 mph. The battery has died at least 5 times, even though i bought a new one. I get regular oil changes and replace the air filter. All the repairs this car need cost over $400 per thing to be fixed. Also, the flywheel in my transmission is bent so it makes a loud clicking noise whenever I am not accelerating. if you want a reliable car get a Honda Accord or something similar.

Loved This Car
By JC on 12/14/04 15:52 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I loved this car. Bought it new and just after the warranty expired the air conditioner broke. Was about $300 to fix. One other thing went wrong about 6 months later that cost about the same. Other than that this is a great car. I swore I would never buy an Escort but this car was great. We totaled it last week when we hit a deer. I'd buy another but they don't make them anymore.

after 3 different vehicles its the best!
By gokartsrule on 11/29/04 04:12 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I had a 1992 Mustang 2.3l with duelspark... then a hyundai elantra 2.0 dohc... now this zx2. Wow... finally a manual again... fastest I have ever driven. Stereo is pretty good.

great little car
By cbuck on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new in '99, have 93k miles on it but still love it. The ZX2 is fun to drive, reliable with average maintenance. I've only had to replace the tires, timing belt and breaks (once). The engine is noisy and idles rough but the ZX2 has still been an incredible value. Ride on!

1999ford escort se
By billy bob banker on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

purchased this car new. replaced the rear blinker bulb 2 times. and replaced the battery after 3 years. replaced the brake pads at 30,000 miles. i have changed the oil& filter every 2500-3000 miles and air cleaner every 3rd oil change. i had the cooling system flushed at 25,000 miles. this car has had no major problems and has performed consistently for the 5 years +. a car you can rely on.

Awesomeness
By Fajita on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I like my little Ford Escort. It's extremely reliable, and it's fun to drive.