Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

99 Ford ZX2 5 speed
By Randy

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Purchased with 89K and so far it has been a steal. Fun to drive, very peppy and handles nicely. Have the primo sound 6 disc changer and it sounds great. Gas mileage mostly highway is 29mpg. (moderate driving speeds/acceleration)

Sun roof and 6 disc cd. Geared for someone who likes to drive.

Engine is noisy. Long trips not the best as the seat comfort up front is not the best. Red paint faded slightly.

Reliable little car
By Kevin

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car way back in 2000 and it has never ever left me stranded. Looks nice, has good interior room for the driver and front seat passenger. No big repairs, just the usual cost of ownership stuff. The 5 speed is actually quite sprightly, and takes off very fast from a stop. Handling is very nice, I've driven it in some of the most cornersome roads in the Oregon mountains and coast and its been great. Even had this baby on dirt roads/forste roads. Tough as nails. Its got 208,000 miles now and still starts every day. Pity Ford no longer makes these or I would buy another.

5 speed manual works nicely with the 2.0 engine. Good trunk space for such a small car. Doesn't feel small inside. Reliable and great gas mileage.

It's pretty hard to replace simple stuff like the front indicator bulbs and headlights do fog up. Could use another 10-20 hp. That would make it a perfect small car.

Better than my new Corolla
By Import Driver

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've always driven Hondas and Toyotas, but my 99 Escort SE Sport married into the family. When we had our first kid, I sold my Honda Del Sol, and bought a new Corolla. My wife got the new car and I got "stuck" with the Escort. It's been a phenominal car. It still drives like new after 100k (I know thats not much compared to other reviews), and I've never had any mechanical problems. It handles great, has good pick up, and I get pretty good gas mileage. All in all, I really prefer driving it to the new (2006) Corolla.

Great handling, good gas mileage, and very reliable

I would have upgraded the stereo and added a CD if it wasn't for the strange stereo/air faceplate. It was a strange Ford design when everything was contoured and oval.

Practical and Reliable
By Paul

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

This car is very reliable, easy to fix, and exceptionally roomy for a compact car. I routinely haul my two dogs, child in car seat, wife, and luggage with ease. I've also pulled a pretty heavy trailer 1000 miles with the car. My only criticisms are that the seats are horribly uncomfortable. The car has very little power, but it is so reliable and practical that it has been a great car. I have 191k on mine and it still is running fine.

Reliable engine, easy to fix, exceptionally roomy

No power, really uncomfortable seats.

Beautiful and fast
By seekbob

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is great looking and fun to drive with 25 to 30 mpg. I have had it for over 4 years. I have replaced front brakes and tires and one tie rod that is it. Best car I ever had.