1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
My Ford
By Blair on 02/01/06 12:30 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I bought. I really like it but seem to always have a problem with it. It has always gotten me from here to there.

Mediocrity at its best
By Kuri on 01/03/06 01:13 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my '99 Escort with 24k on it, thinking it was a good buy. Less than a month later I had bad vibrations in the car during idle. Had to rip out and replace the motor mounts, a problem that I've read other people having online. Horrible console design, cup holders won't hold anything bigger than a 20 ounce cup. Bad acceleration and I'm already having transmission problems thanks to it. For some reason gas mileage plummets with city driving from 30-35 mpg to about 25 or so. I like small cars so this is actually a bit big for me; I'd have preferred a ZX2 if anything. Back seat has no room for comfort. My issues with the exterior looks were solved with a body kit. Speakers didn't even survive 2 months.

So far, so good!
By Dover ZX2 on 12/27/05 20:53 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sporty, quick car that's fun to drive! I bought my ZX2 with 30,000 miles in 2001 for $8K. I have put 90,000 more miles on it in 4 years. This car gets great gas mileage on the highway… my best was 39 mpg. Some gripes: tends to drift on concrete pavement. Engine is loud over 70 mph. I agree with a few reviewers, this car has a mind of its own. My cruise control will stop working randomly. The horn went off by itself … I had to pull the fuse! I bought an extended warranty which was a great investment … it covered the cost of replacing the entire AC system, alternator, radio/cassette, tie rod, and horn.

Good Little Car
By matt on 12/22/05 23:20 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with only 61K. It needed nothing from the dealer and currently needsnothing besides brakes. It's been a solid and reliable car. Acceleration is only adequate and it idles quite rough. The interior is comfortable although there's not a lot of room in back. Fuel economy is definitely a plus.

Wicked Little Ride!
By anubisankh1031 on 10/23/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Mine has 58,500 miles. Been hearing some squeaks. Strange vibration near the driver's side front when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Transmission has a "hop" in it when starting from stand-still off the line. Had a '92 Escort LX and at 57K it did the same thing. MAINTAIN YOUR TRANSMISSION! Also, rotate tires & maintenance alignment regularly or it will PULL SHARP to one side because it is so light. Hydroplanes when wet out. Put weight in trunk to prevent this during winter. Engine run better on premium grade fuels. Fuel injectors cause drag if you use cheap fuel over time. Other than those typical high-mileage issues -- it's fast, fuel-economical, and stylish.

Good fuel economy
By Nate on 08/28/05 19:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

The transmission has gone out twice and the alternator once, but it gets great gas mileage and is pretty fun to drive.

bargain buying
By jp on 08/22/05 14:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Good car for the price. Gets usually over 30 mpg if you drive right.

Trusty Escort
By Mel on 08/13/05 23:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort brand new and it has been an awesome basic car to have. It has only "dumped" me once, and it was my fault because I ignored the dying battery warning signs. I have the 5 spd and it never gets less than 34 MPG no matter what the conditions. It averages 36. Escorts will go forever with care, and I expect to see this one get 150,000 miles.

Good, Reliable, and Inexpensive
By ZX2Owner on 08/09/05 10:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned my ZX2 since 1999. At that time it had a lot of horsepower and equipment for a reasonable price. It has been a good investment. At six years, the car has is still running with its original factory-installed battery. I replaced the tires (because I did not bother to rotate the original ones properly), but have I not invested a dime in repairs. It has been very reliable car. Too bad Ford decided to discontinue it, Escorts in general seem to be reliable cars. I am glad I bought the car and when ready to purchase another car, I will consider another Ford car.

Escort great!
By fweenut on 06/29/05 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. The mileage has always been great and I have not had any major repairs that weren't covered by the warranty. Economical - Yes! Efficient - Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes!