Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Best car to learn how to drive on!
By Nikki

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for me to learn how to drive on in 2005. 4 years later, we've put about 20K miles on it and it still runs great. It gets me back and forth between school and home whenever I need it to, and even survived large tree branches falling on it during an intense wind storm with just a few dents and a broken windshield. It has its quirks, but it's an old car at this point and will. My parents bought my sister another escort after I got my license so I could drive this one, never had any problems!

Drives well, great MPG, reliable

Radio fuzzy, the speedometer sticks at 55 MPH sometimes.

Stayed in the Family
By Commuter Scooter

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Car was purchased very inexpensively as a commuter scooter. I needed cheap miles and this car fit the bill. Only 8400 miles at the time of purchase but with hail damage that didn't affect operation. Issues have been easy to fix (relay module, tie rod end and vacuum hose) but otherwise no problems in over 100,000 miles. It has never left anyone stranded. Great gas mileage city or open road. Easy to work on by a shade tree mechanic. Now my daughter considers it "her" car for use at college. I see it several times a year now and keep the maintenance up for her. She understands the economics of inexpensive, reliable transportation instead of a fashion statement.

She likes keyless remote, easy to drive and park, and it won't leave her stranded. Cold AC.

chopped
By Duck

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my escort from a shoty used car guy after I wrecked my Neon. I've been into modding cars since I was 16 so the thought of getting an Escourt didnt thrill me in the least. Big time surprise to me swapped the original motor for a 2000 DOHC Ztec ZX2 w/ 74k miles then began the work on this car, my feul economy is sorta my fault....:P but other than that no real complaints with the new ZX2 motor and upgrades its quick, still great for long trips.....not only that but I'm killin mustangs off the line and putting 140 easy on the speedo and 11.6 on the board

Easy to moddify...if you have a welder, easy to access the engine bay great car to mod but you gotta get a tad bit creative ((case in point a '98 RX-7 throtle body))

Release some specs Ford I need more parts

engine idle vibration
By Lynn

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a salvage 1998 Ford Escort SE Sedan with 63,000 miles and LOVED it. I had it for almost seven years and parted with it because of a rusted frame. It had 138,000 miles and was running strong. I loved it so much that I recently bought a 1999 Ford Escort with 65,000 miles. I'm sorry to say the engine idle vibration and a constant exhaust-like noise has forced me to ask for a replacement vehicle. My 1998 Escort never had this problem though it did have broken coil springs. I found the TSB 031515 but the local Ford dealership said the problem may or may not be resolved with mount replacements and such so my GM dealership didn't take the chance on the costs of repairs.

A completely reliable car for travel and it has a nice roomy trunk.

None other than the fact Ford should have recalled some of their defects. I certainly believe broken coil springs were a safety concern. The engine idle vibration creates a miserable driving experience.

I love my car!
By syne

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I purchased it with 83k miles on it. Five years later and we're up to 160k, and the timing belt just broke. But it's okay because my model has a non interference engine so it didn't do any other damage besides leaving me in a parking lot. I've done little to no maintenance in the last 80k miles and its been so good to me! I hope I can get this past 200k, and am planning on keeping it until it it dies. Fuel economy slowly shrinking, now its about 26mpg combined.

Auto windows, key-less entry, auto locks, cruise, non interference engine!!

Its pretty ugly, and the seats do get uncomfortable but only on 1k+ mile journeys. Spark plug wires rub on radiator belt which cause them to melt and malfunction; zip ties should fix this set (#3 in 2 years)