1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Great bang for your buck
By dunnr on 09/06/06 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new and we now have 117k miles on it and have never done anything to it except the 100k mile tune up. It has been well worth the purchase price and if Ford still made them we would buy another one.

Found On Road Dead
By NoMoreFords on 08/30/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car seemed to work alright up until about 65,000 miles...then I found myself in and out of the dealership/repair shops every few months. I would not buy a Ford again, lesson learned.

Great economy car
By MHW814 on 07/24/06 06:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for seven years and have only had to replace brakes and tires and a wiper blade now and then. It's a great car for girls because all of the fluid caps are have labels and the rear seats fold down so you can fit all of your shopping items in the car.

Not bad
By Felicia on 07/16/06 06:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort from a couple who wanted a newer car. It had high miles for the year, but didn't look bad at all. I've had Escorts and other Fords before and this car has been the best one for me to drive. Body looks good, inside fits 1 adult, 2 kids and a big dog pretty good. I had a few problems with it, such as the brakes, and now I'm told something is broken in the engine, but that little car still moves. Has always been good on gas, and the only time it left me stranded was when I got a dead battery. I drove this car hard. I live in a hilly region and I tend to lay on the gas. The tranny is good, it's just that some mounting thing in the engine is broke, so the car can take a beating.

She runs like a champ, no matter what
By Maleficus on 06/30/06 01:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased my used ZX2 about 2 years ago, with 58,000 miles on the clock. Since then, she's only let me down once, and that was because I hadn't performed a regular maintenance item. The timing belt slipped so it wouldn't run, took it to a shop who didn't know what they were doing and they told me my cold air intake and header were why she wouldn't idle (at ALL). Well, they were wrong, the timing was still off. For a year, she's been running with bad timing and she runs like a champ, well, to a certain degree. As soon as I fix the timing (myself!), I'm positive she'll be back to her old zippy, fun self. Please, please buy one of these cars, you won't regret it.

reliable ride but not fun to drive
By dem4life on 06/18/06 20:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Overall it has been a good, sturdy car. It rides very smoothly and has great visibility. Excellent turning radius and not bulky to drive. A few things to consider before you buy is that it is not made for a small person. The seats don't adjust higher and sit very low. Even with the steering wheel tilted as far down as possible I still feel like the air bag will explode in my face. It is very sluggish to accelerate. In the dark it is almost impossible to find where to put it in drive without putting the ceiling light on. Also, you can't get a CD player for less than $250 due to the integration of the radio and the other controls.

Found On Road Dead
By JBL on 06/04/06 07:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

From the beginning - TROUBLE! Strange noises and lots of vibration. Transmission always a concern - dealer said everything ok (while under warranty). Repeated Check Engine Lights - sensor replacements and $$$ Cassette player went out. Hood latch broke, nickel and diming me to death. Lot of brake problems. The latest found on road test diagnosis - major valve & seat damage, went through and damage the piston, block, and cylinder head - needs new engine at $4,000. Dealer maintenance shop keeps telling me there are never any trouble with Escorts. Yeah, right.

Nice first car
By Paco on 05/28/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I love this car. It is good and economical and very reliable when it is well taken care of. Good car for single people or students.

Excellent Commuter Car
By scortracer on 04/18/06 11:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Just got this car not too long ago but it has been in the family for about 3 years. I don't really have to do anything with it besides change the fluids and get new brakes ... just normal wear and tear. The car has about 78K on it and I expect another 100K more at least. The tranny sometimes shifts rough and it idles shaky but I heard those are normal Escort traits. It gets great gas mileage and is quite comfortable to ride in and also handles a lot better than most other small cars. I had a 96 Escort and this generation seems worlds better. I don't know why people are running out and getting Japanese cars, I'd take my little 'Scort over a Corolla or Civic any day. The build quality is great.

The Little Car that Could...
By Hbgguppy on 03/22/06 00:13 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my Escort in a pinch. I had just bought my first house and very quickly realized the expenses of home ownership. I traded in my Ford Expedition and bought my Escort, cutting my car payment in half. Having owned SUVs for years and years, I wanted another "full cabin on frame" vehicle. Nothing car be more frustrating than trying to wedge a book shelf in the back of a sedan in the IKEA parking lot. I soon fell in love with the "little car that could". 4 years later and I'm still attached to "Fred" as he's now known. I particularly enjoy the visibility while parallel parking and making fast lane changes during rush hour traffic. He's been a darn good car to me.