Used 1999 Ford Escort SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

chopped
By Duck

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my escort from a shoty used car guy after I wrecked my Neon. I've been into modding cars since I was 16 so the thought of getting an Escourt didnt thrill me in the least. Big time surprise to me swapped the original motor for a 2000 DOHC Ztec ZX2 w/ 74k miles then began the work on this car, my feul economy is sorta my fault....:P but other than that no real complaints with the new ZX2 motor and upgrades its quick, still great for long trips.....not only that but I'm killin mustangs off the line and putting 140 easy on the speedo and 11.6 on the board

Favorite Features

Easy to moddify...if you have a welder, easy to access the engine bay great car to mod but you gotta get a tad bit creative ((case in point a '98 RX-7 throtle body))

Suggested Improvements

Release some specs Ford I need more parts

Want More
By Raghead

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I own 4 Escorts,3 99's,1 98. My daily driver is a 2.0 SP 5 Sp sedan. This is the best car I've ever owned. It had 32K miles when purchased and now has 132K. I have replaced 1 set of tires,1 tie rod end and the spark plugs. I drive the car extremely hard.The tach sees 5 grand every day. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and 32 MPG. None of my Escorts has ever left me or my wife stranded. If they still made them I'd buy a new one. Great car.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, styling and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Console design. Headlight lenses milk up

Great all around car
By Anonymous

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car.I bought it in 2004 with 17k and currently has 106k.I'm not a FORD lover,I only bought it cause it was in my price range and got good reviews.Ive fixed only brakes, rotors, belt, tie rod and flex pipe piece ($1050).Just moved cross country with almost 900lbs of stuff.No problems handling it at 85 mph. Does display the common rough idle which most escorts do just due to the type of engine.So far it beat the life of my parents chevy malibu and dodge intrepid, which blew head gaskets and transmissions before 100k.I'm not a car guy,dont prefer one brand over another,but this car doesn't die, starts every time. Not much to look at. Gets you from A to B with no problems at all.

Favorite Features

Don't have to replace timing belt till 125k unlike most cars at 60k to 100k. No fancy features to drive up the price, just has the basic necessities. I like that cause to many makers focus on extras rather than quality of the vehicle itself. Great paint jobs, still shines like new and zero rust.

Suggested Improvements

For some reason all Escorts engines rough Idle. The engines have been proven to run 200k easy from what I read, but for some reason they idle which does get annoying from time to time.

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE
By zescown

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My car is actually an automatic transmission. I bought it for 1,500 used and it had around 164,000 miles on it with new brakes. It's my first car that I bought and is mine. It's small and has good mobility. It's really good on gas. My dads Chevy Tahoe has a 20 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week while my car has a 10 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week but this is an estimate from experience. It depends on how much you drive. It's fun drifting around in the winter time using the E-Brake. It also has a spoiler which I like. I read on the wheels that it can hold a max weight of 1,100 something pounds.

Favorite Features

High miles per gallon. Reliable transportation. Front seats can angle super far back that you can practically sleep in the car.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if there was an arm rest on the right side of the drivers seat. Would also be good if there was more cup holders for the back seats. It would be really nice to have a bigger gas tank so I don't need to fill it up once a week or two meaning I would fill it up once every 2 to 3 weeks. It also has a cassette player which I don't have any and in today's days there are CD players which would be nice on the car.

Going strong
By michigan91

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have always been a fan of Escorts and was excited to get one as my first car. It was purchased in July of 2006 with 79,000 miles and I'm almost to 91,000. When I bought the car the radio had stuff spilled in it so that was replaced. My check engine light gave me trouble for an idle speed thing, fixed and it idles very well. Other than that I blew one rusty trans line, the CEL is on again for the EGR valve (im ignoring it) and my blower motor just went, but other than the trans line which is expected in a winter climate, all my repairs have been cheap and have not been detrimental to the car in terms of running. Hasn't left me stranded, and we're almost to 91,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Reliable, radio panel is actually very ergonomic, predictable handling, timeless looks, cheap parts, throaty 4 cylinder, ful economy (about 25 in the city).

Suggested Improvements

Better seats (they have no side support) a little bit more pick up (passing can be a pain), and fuel economy (25 is good but I'm hearing much better than that on here.)