Used 1999 Ford Escort SE Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Want More
By Raghead

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I own 4 Escorts,3 99's,1 98. My daily driver is a 2.0 SP 5 Sp sedan. This is the best car I've ever owned. It had 32K miles when purchased and now has 132K. I have replaced 1 set of tires,1 tie rod end and the spark plugs. I drive the car extremely hard.The tach sees 5 grand every day. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and 32 MPG. None of my Escorts has ever left me or my wife stranded. If they still made them I'd buy a new one. Great car.

Performance, handling, styling and gas mileage

Console design. Headlight lenses milk up

Not bad
By Felicia

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort from a couple who wanted a newer car. It had high miles for the year, but didn't look bad at all. I've had Escorts and other Fords before and this car has been the best one for me to drive. Body looks good, inside fits 1 adult, 2 kids and a big dog pretty good. I had a few problems with it, such as the brakes, and now I'm told something is broken in the engine, but that little car still moves. Has always been good on gas, and the only time it left me stranded was when I got a dead battery. I drove this car hard. I live in a hilly region and I tend to lay on the gas. The tranny is good, it's just that some mounting thing in the engine is broke, so the car can take a beating.

Good on gas, big enough for family of 4, pretty good speakers too.

Light for shifter.

Found On Road Dead
By JBL

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

From the beginning - TROUBLE! Strange noises and lots of vibration. Transmission always a concern - dealer said everything ok (while under warranty). Repeated Check Engine Lights - sensor replacements and $$$ Cassette player went out. Hood latch broke, nickel and diming me to death. Lot of brake problems. The latest found on road test diagnosis - major valve & seat damage, went through and damage the piston, block, and cylinder head - needs new engine at $4,000. Dealer maintenance shop keeps telling me there are never any trouble with Escorts. Yeah, right.

Too hard to see past all the problems.

I will NEVER buy another FORD. Both I've had were terribly unreliable cars. Dealer maintenance shop (which keeps changing names and perhaps ownership) has been very unresponsive to the chronic issues with this car. (Fix that Mr. Ford!).

Excellent Commuter Car
By scortracer

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Just got this car not too long ago but it has been in the family for about 3 years. I don't really have to do anything with it besides change the fluids and get new brakes ... just normal wear and tear. The car has about 78K on it and I expect another 100K more at least. The tranny sometimes shifts rough and it idles shaky but I heard those are normal Escort traits. It gets great gas mileage and is quite comfortable to ride in and also handles a lot better than most other small cars. I had a 96 Escort and this generation seems worlds better. I don't know why people are running out and getting Japanese cars, I'd take my little 'Scort over a Corolla or Civic any day. The build quality is great.

Keyless entry, power everything, great MPG, peppy & reliable little motor. Fairly roomy for its size. Better build quality than my 96 or my grandparents 02 Cavalier.

Mostly just minor. Needs a tilt wheel. Stupid ICP makes it difficult to install an aftermarket CD player. You should be able to get the ZX2's 130hp DOHC 2.0. An antenna built into the A-pillar.

My Ford
By Blair

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I bought. I really like it but seem to always have a problem with it. It has always gotten me from here to there.

I would have to say the seats are really comfortable and the trunk has a whole lot of space. I can fit everything I need to take and still have room left over.

My gas mileage isn't that great but I'm sure I can fix that; oh and suspension turning -- something's funny with that.