Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Look Good for Cheap
By Subaroid!

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is a good, cheap piece of transportation. There's not much to this car, just the bare necessities. Crank windows, no CD player, no A/C. It's got 108,000 miles on it, and has done well for a Ford. Only replaced the alternator and an idler pulley so far (relatively cheap fixes, $400, $100), have done the brakes; rotors and pads front for $50. It's got the 2.0 liter engine and a 5 speed manual so it gets good mileage (25 or so with me driving it hard), has good handling, and is fun to drive. It's due for a clutch, and there are squeaks, rattles, and oil leaks. Interior trim pieces are also falling off.

Favorite Features

Good performance, handling. Good mileage (25-28). Cheap to own. Looks cool!

Suggested Improvements

Where's the CD player and A/C? Uncomfortable seats, noisy inside, choppy ride and noisy, buzzy engine. Cheap interior.

174000
By lchandler

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My car has 174000 and it still runs. This is great I know people that did drive Hunda Toyota Dodge and other makers and their cars did not last as long.

Favorite Features

relability small good mpg

Suggested Improvements

CD player

Don't buy
By HC

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I was the 3rd owner and bought this car for every day use. The car condition was considered “clean” and previous 2 owners kept excellent valid maintenance records. This is my first car so I stick tightly to check up schedule to reduce any mechanical problems. I got around 28-30 mpg highway and 18-21 mpg in town. There were many problems with this car. The biggest two were tranny and engine. This car sucked too much money form me. At ~94,000 miles the transmission slipped (after 20,000 miles used). Sometimes, it stuck at low gear and won’t shift up when I gassed it up or slipped, shift down and lost speed, very dangerous if it happens when I pass a car. I got it fixed. At ~130,000 miles, the

Favorite Features

It has a lot of space comparable to SUV and doesn't break your bank for car insurance like SUV does.

Suggested Improvements

Please, make a more reliable car. On the highway at night light form cars behind would blind you because the car was so low.

Great 1st car!
By Christine

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this as my very first car. My stepdad fixed it up for me and it runs like a charm! The inside is pretty comfy and it hasn't given me any problems yet. I definitely would purchase another ford in the future :)

Favorite Features

radio is a cool style for a 90's

Suggested Improvements

better speakers! they stunk if turned up (will buy some in the future) and the car is very loud and a little shaky above 60 haha

Best car to learn how to drive on!
By Nikki

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for me to learn how to drive on in 2005. 4 years later, we've put about 20K miles on it and it still runs great. It gets me back and forth between school and home whenever I need it to, and even survived large tree branches falling on it during an intense wind storm with just a few dents and a broken windshield. It has its quirks, but it's an old car at this point and will. My parents bought my sister another escort after I got my license so I could drive this one, never had any problems!

Favorite Features

Drives well, great MPG, reliable

Suggested Improvements

Radio fuzzy, the speedometer sticks at 55 MPH sometimes.