Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great all around car
By Anonymous

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car.I bought it in 2004 with 17k and currently has 106k.I'm not a FORD lover,I only bought it cause it was in my price range and got good reviews.Ive fixed only brakes, rotors, belt, tie rod and flex pipe piece ($1050).Just moved cross country with almost 900lbs of stuff.No problems handling it at 85 mph. Does display the common rough idle which most escorts do just due to the type of engine.So far it beat the life of my parents chevy malibu and dodge intrepid, which blew head gaskets and transmissions before 100k.I'm not a car guy,dont prefer one brand over another,but this car doesn't die, starts every time. Not much to look at. Gets you from A to B with no problems at all.

Don't have to replace timing belt till 125k unlike most cars at 60k to 100k. No fancy features to drive up the price, just has the basic necessities. I like that cause to many makers focus on extras rather than quality of the vehicle itself. Great paint jobs, still shines like new and zero rust.

For some reason all Escorts engines rough Idle. The engines have been proven to run 200k easy from what I read, but for some reason they idle which does get annoying from time to time.

First New Car
By Steve

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sadly I don't have this car anymore, but I wanted to write a review anyway. It was the first car I ever bought brand spanking new (with only 9 miles on it). It was sharp looking, unbelievably reliable, surprisingly good in the snow, and served me well for the 5 years I owned it. I traded it in for my current car, 2005 Volvo S40 turbo, but still miss it and sometimes wish I still had it.

Styling, reliability, great gas mileage, and a lot of fun to drive.

Toss the ZX3 and bring the ZX2 back!

LOVE IT
By elizabeth

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, got it when I was 16 I'm almost 19 now. When my mom gave it to me it had 150,000 miles. Now it has 215,700. Its been totaled twice. Been involved in a few more little wrecks. I've backed into 4 cars (hasn't messed up either car either time) the timing belt broke on it. Thought the motor was gone, but it wasn't. I tore the front end up and the hole drivers side door up by hitting a fence. It chirps wheels in second gear. I couldn't have asked for a better first car. Gas mileage. Filled it up today for 28$ itll run 300 miles a tank. My kids will probably be driving this car. I have a spare exact same car (but it has a sunroof) with 140,000 on it when the motor blows in this one.

6 disk cd changer, cute look, easy gas mileage, drives easy, can hold up well in wrecks, the junk yards sell parts for it everyday. insurance not high. cute colors. great first car for anyone. oh its quick too.

1999 ford escort 2.0 4 dr auto
By theresa

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Well, I guess this car is pretty reliable, in a way. Always starts on the first try, but here lately it has nickeled and dimed me to death. And finally, the number 4 valve seat is shot. A common problem with this car, as I have found. Gonna cost 1100.00 to fix and I only paid 1500.00 for the car 3 years ago. So sell for junk I guess.

great gas mileage..always starts on the first try.

#4 valve seat defect

still going
By rosa

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this used, and now has over 200,000 miles on it, and still going strong, absolutly great gas mileage, but the ride is bumpy and noisy, but it's basic and cheap transportation, moon roof is neat, body paint still shines, replaced thrmostat, timing belt, rods, battery, tires. will drive it til it dies.

moon roof