1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Black and Beautiful
By turboDREAMS on 04/10/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My Escort has almost 180k on it now and has never let me down. Ever. She sees high rpms on a daily basis because of how fun this ride is! 5spd is definitely the way to go and the response is outstanding. I thought escorts were grandma cars until i noticed civics trying to keep up! The handling is so smooth that i sometimes forget that I am in an Escort. All my friends look to the ground with rising gas prices as I enjoy the day no matter what with my easily captured 35mpg. Fuel economy is simply amazing in this car! If you want an affordable car that just won't leave you in the dust or stranded, and out runs half the hybrids in the mpg test, i can confidently say "go with the Escort!"

Great
By HERB on 04/04/08 07:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Drives and handles great. Looks great. Drove it to New Orleans and back last year with no problems at all. Didn't even have it checked out before I left, I have that much faith in it. Just routine maintenance, nothing more.

Best Little Car!
By Jen on 04/02/08 01:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new, other than normal maintenence, I've had no problems, never been stranded. It's getting older and the seats aren't what they use to be, but old age will do that to you. I'm wondering how many miles my Black Beauty will see.178,000 and counting.

Sporty, economical & less than a Celica
By teriana on 01/07/08 09:57 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with 93,000 mi on it and paid $4,300 out the door with every option available (over half the price of the Celica's I was looking at). The car has an awesome stereo with premium sound. I drove it until 119,000. The only thing I had to replace was the thermostat. When I bought it, it did have a slight transmission leak that I always meant to have fixed. Instead I just put more fluid in every once in a while. When I sold the car, it did seem like it had the beginnings of real transmission trouble, but I'm not positive. Trans problems are the one thing that can plague this vehicle. I can't ignore the fact, though, that my brother-in- law owned two with over 250,000 miles.

Good, reliable transportation
By ringo423 on 01/04/08 09:44 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Though somewhat vanilla, this car has been exceptionally reliable through the years. Good gas mileage and perfoms very well in all types of weather. Cabin fairly noisy on the highway

Ford Failure
By 1REDZX2 on 12/27/07 12:17 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Bought this for my daughter for features, price and CU rating. Noisiest engine,sounds like a diesel, replaced both driveshafts before 60k, now at 85k one is failing again. Both ABS wheels cracked prior to 60K. Odd sized tires that you'll pay a premium for. At least it still looks good

A good little car
By EddieSylvano on 12/03/07 12:02 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car, and I've had it for 9 years, now. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought it - an American car made in Mexico - but it's been a champ. I've only had 2 problems in that time: the alternator died after about 4 years, and the AC after about 8. Other than that, it's been a great car. Good gas mileage, peppy acceleration, and fun to drive. I'm officially an adult now, and buying a new car, so it's time is up. I'm really going to miss it, though. I've had it so long it's like an extension of myself, and it's never let me down. I only hope my next car is as reliable and enjoyable. Farewell, old friend.

Want More
By Raghead on 09/30/07 10:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I own 4 Escorts,3 99's,1 98. My daily driver is a 2.0 SP 5 Sp sedan. This is the best car I've ever owned. It had 32K miles when purchased and now has 132K. I have replaced 1 set of tires,1 tie rod end and the spark plugs. I drive the car extremely hard.The tach sees 5 grand every day. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and 32 MPG. None of my Escorts has ever left me or my wife stranded. If they still made them I'd buy a new one. Great car.

Great car
By Mr. Burger on 09/21/07 12:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have put 194,000 miles on so far and have had no maintenance issues thus far. Change the oil every 3,500, that's it. Am still averaging 35.4 MPG. This has been a great can and expect to get 300,000 miles out of it easy.

DO NOT BUY
By Hatemycar on 03/12/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have had such a bad time with this car. I have put two transmissions in it and it had left me stranded numerous times.