1999 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Good fuel economy
By Nate on 08/28/05 19:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

The transmission has gone out twice and the alternator once, but it gets great gas mileage and is pretty fun to drive.

Good, Reliable, and Inexpensive
By ZX2Owner on 08/09/05 10:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned my ZX2 since 1999. At that time it had a lot of horsepower and equipment for a reasonable price. It has been a good investment. At six years, the car has is still running with its original factory-installed battery. I replaced the tires (because I did not bother to rotate the original ones properly), but have I not invested a dime in repairs. It has been very reliable car. Too bad Ford decided to discontinue it, Escorts in general seem to be reliable cars. I am glad I bought the car and when ready to purchase another car, I will consider another Ford car.

Trade before 140,000km!
By Lynne on 03/09/05 10:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have to admit that my ZX2 has been a good car. Bought it new in 1999. Safe and solid (i hit a tree and walked away). So Ford builds tough thats for sure! However, it seems no one tells you that around 140,000 km's that your automatic transmission will blow up. Oh heres the stinger - $3000 to fix! I had to take out a loan to fix it. I talked to the dealer and they laughed and said they knew this would happen when the sold it to me.

Great 1st Car
By ZX2 Driver on 01/17/05 14:41 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This was my first personally-owned car, a 5-speed Sport model. This car has great performance for a budget car. With about 71,000 miles, there have been a lot more squeaks and rattles showing up. The interior of the car is also fairly noisy. There aren't too many aftermarket parts for this car (especially compared to the Civic). Ford made a special-edition S/R model, and parts are still available to upgrade the basic ZX2 to achieve the S/R's better performance. So far the only major things I've had to replace are the alternator and the 3rd gear synchro. The manual trannies in these cars aren't the strongest, but if you don't abuse it, it should last. I'm still on the original clutch.

after 3 different vehicles its the best!
By gokartsrule on 11/29/04 04:12 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I had a 1992 Mustang 2.3l with duelspark... then a hyundai elantra 2.0 dohc... now this zx2. Wow... finally a manual again... fastest I have ever driven. Stereo is pretty good.

great little car
By cbuck on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new in '99, have 93k miles on it but still love it. The ZX2 is fun to drive, reliable with average maintenance. I've only had to replace the tires, timing belt and breaks (once). The engine is noisy and idles rough but the ZX2 has still been an incredible value. Ride on!

Pretty Good After 5 Years
By ZX2 Girl on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The car is in pretty good condition for being 5 years old. Of course, it doesn't run as smoothly as it use to. The air conditioning and tape deck both have gone out twice. My breaks make odd noises when I'm stopping (I've had them checked out). Even when new, the car idles really rough. Besides that, I've had no major mechanical problems. It's a good car for a first time buyer.

GOOD CHEAP PERFORMANCE CAR
By jkk1 on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car. NO warranty or mechanical problems at all.

Good car, but too small
By Madmatt55 on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had a good experience with this car, but I have outgrown it. I have had very few repairs to make in the 3 years of ownership. Watch for rear brake caliper leaks. Finding replacement tires can be expensive as the tires are of an odd size. I am using a slightly taller tire and it works out fine. I also advise any owner to buy a K&N air filter for this car. It does make a difference. If I had the choice, i would get this car with a 5 speed.

DO NOT BUY A ZX2
By nofx on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

After approximately 48,000 mi of driving this car completley went south. I provided regular maintainence and oil changes, yet still had to have the engine and transmission replaced at 48,000 mi.