Used 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

DO NOT BUY
By Hatemycar

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have had such a bad time with this car. I have put two transmissions in it and it had left me stranded numerous times.

The body style and color...that's about it.

They should just stop making it altogether.

So far, so good!
By Dover ZX2

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sporty, quick car that's fun to drive! I bought my ZX2 with 30,000 miles in 2001 for $8K. I have put 90,000 more miles on it in 4 years. This car gets great gas mileage on the highway… my best was 39 mpg. Some gripes: tends to drift on concrete pavement. Engine is loud over 70 mph. I agree with a few reviewers, this car has a mind of its own. My cruise control will stop working randomly. The horn went off by itself … I had to pull the fuse! I bought an extended warranty which was a great investment … it covered the cost of replacing the entire AC system, alternator, radio/cassette, tie rod, and horn.

Sunroof and great gas mileage (30-37mpg!). 60/40 split seats and tons of truck space. Pretty good in the snow.

Tighter interior (too much noise); more comfortable seats; more room in the back seat.

Wicked Little Ride!
By anubisankh1031

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Mine has 58,500 miles. Been hearing some squeaks. Strange vibration near the driver's side front when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Transmission has a "hop" in it when starting from stand-still off the line. Had a '92 Escort LX and at 57K it did the same thing. MAINTAIN YOUR TRANSMISSION! Also, rotate tires & maintenance alignment regularly or it will PULL SHARP to one side because it is so light. Hydroplanes when wet out. Put weight in trunk to prevent this during winter. Engine run better on premium grade fuels. Fuel injectors cause drag if you use cheap fuel over time. Other than those typical high-mileage issues -- it's fast, fuel-economical, and stylish.

Built with a Japanese engine for fast speed & has sportscar styling. Sunroof & 6-disc CD changer a plus! LOW MAINTENANCE. Mine has a personality ALL its own. Just call it 'CHRISTINE'... LOL.

Quieter engine. Engine is ornery & LOUD when it's cold out. Better transmission. Get out the electrical bugs. Sometimes I swear this car is possessed: radio shorts out on me at random & doesn't allow you to change station or doesn't allow you to switch back from CD to radio! WEIRD GLITCHES.

Good, Reliable, and Inexpensive
By ZX2Owner

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned my ZX2 since 1999. At that time it had a lot of horsepower and equipment for a reasonable price. It has been a good investment. At six years, the car has is still running with its original factory-installed battery. I replaced the tires (because I did not bother to rotate the original ones properly), but have I not invested a dime in repairs. It has been very reliable car. Too bad Ford decided to discontinue it, Escorts in general seem to be reliable cars. I am glad I bought the car and when ready to purchase another car, I will consider another Ford car.

Decent horsepower and fuel economy. The stereo system is decent.

The front seats should slide out of the way to allow passengers to gain access to the back seat. The manual transmission is notchy.

Trade before 140,000km!
By Lynne

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have to admit that my ZX2 has been a good car. Bought it new in 1999. Safe and solid (i hit a tree and walked away). So Ford builds tough thats for sure! However, it seems no one tells you that around 140,000 km's that your automatic transmission will blow up. Oh heres the stinger - $3000 to fix! I had to take out a loan to fix it. I talked to the dealer and they laughed and said they knew this would happen when the sold it to me.

Other than the the cheap transmission, this car is amazing. Never had to turn a wrench on it till 140,000 km. Safe in accidents! And has a nice interior, very comfy. And even though its a 4 cylinder it's quick.

Build a transmission that won't fall to pieces on a whim. And maybe make some replacement parts; they found only 4 available tranmissions in North America! Plus no resale value, but hey that's cars for you.