1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Good Little Car
By matt on 12/22/05 23:20 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with only 61K. It needed nothing from the dealer and currently needsnothing besides brakes. It's been a solid and reliable car. Acceleration is only adequate and it idles quite rough. The interior is comfortable although there's not a lot of room in back. Fuel economy is definitely a plus.

Noisiest car I've ever owned
By Larry Cole on 04/09/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

The reason I was drawn to this car was that it had an excellent sound system (six-CD changer/tape player). But as time wore on, the road and engine noise became so annoying that even high volume on the stereo was not enough to drown out the incessant noise.

Great College Car
By Ben Reed on 02/11/05 13:32 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Escort with 90,000 miles on the odometer. I was looking for a late model car that would be easier on my wallet than the Pathfinder I had been driving. I average about 37-38 MPG on the highway, but have noticed a dramatic drop in city driving. The car has enough power to move it down the highway at speed, but acceleration, even with the 5 speed, is somewhat lacking. Road noise is minimal, and the sound system works exceptionally well, considering the rural environment I live in. My only complaint so far is a scrubbing/grinding noise when the brakes are spplied. I suspect either the rotors are warped or the brake pads are worn. Easy fix in either case.

1999ford escort se
By billy bob banker on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

purchased this car new. replaced the rear blinker bulb 2 times. and replaced the battery after 3 years. replaced the brake pads at 30,000 miles. i have changed the oil& filter every 2500-3000 miles and air cleaner every 3rd oil change. i had the cooling system flushed at 25,000 miles. this car has had no major problems and has performed consistently for the 5 years +. a car you can rely on.

Awesomeness
By Fajita on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I like my little Ford Escort. It's extremely reliable, and it's fun to drive.

Solid transportation
By MartinPawley on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've maintained the car, and it has performed well. The rear suspension needed to be replaced after a spring broke, but that has been the only mechanical disappointment.

Regret buying a Ford Escort
By "S"CortsSuk on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I leased a Ford Escort SE back in Oct of 1999, and I totally regretted my decision a few days later. I had so many problems with it in the beginning. I also had to replace the suspension after two years, which cost me $1,000. Back in Dec of 2003, I had to replace the engine too. That cost me a lot of money. It is a cheap car to own, but no resale value. It is also an ugly car. I don't recommend American economy cars. Get a Civic or Corolla instead.

Great vehicle
By kca on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was our 5th Escort, and like all of the others, it has been a great vehicle. Repairs have been minimal and more importantly very inexpensive. We consider these vehicles basic transportation, and they have delivered on their promise. The SE is much quieter than the other models and has been more comfortable to drive. The Escort has been available in the USA since 1981, but has a much longer history in europe (around 1960).

transmission
By mess on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

transmission went out on my '99 after 78,000 miles. It was well maintained.

1999EscortSe
By Ed Ivey on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

The car rides and handles like a much larger on the highway. It's no monster on take off but once on the road it has plenty of power.