Used 1999 Ford Escort SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Going strong
By michigan91

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have always been a fan of Escorts and was excited to get one as my first car. It was purchased in July of 2006 with 79,000 miles and I'm almost to 91,000. When I bought the car the radio had stuff spilled in it so that was replaced. My check engine light gave me trouble for an idle speed thing, fixed and it idles very well. Other than that I blew one rusty trans line, the CEL is on again for the EGR valve (im ignoring it) and my blower motor just went, but other than the trans line which is expected in a winter climate, all my repairs have been cheap and have not been detrimental to the car in terms of running. Hasn't left me stranded, and we're almost to 91,000 miles.

Reliable, radio panel is actually very ergonomic, predictable handling, timeless looks, cheap parts, throaty 4 cylinder, ful economy (about 25 in the city).

Better seats (they have no side support) a little bit more pick up (passing can be a pain), and fuel economy (25 is good but I'm hearing much better than that on here.)

Reliable little car
By Kevin

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car way back in 2000 and it has never ever left me stranded. Looks nice, has good interior room for the driver and front seat passenger. No big repairs, just the usual cost of ownership stuff. The 5 speed is actually quite sprightly, and takes off very fast from a stop. Handling is very nice, I've driven it in some of the most cornersome roads in the Oregon mountains and coast and its been great. Even had this baby on dirt roads/forste roads. Tough as nails. Its got 208,000 miles now and still starts every day. Pity Ford no longer makes these or I would buy another.

5 speed manual works nicely with the 2.0 engine. Good trunk space for such a small car. Doesn't feel small inside. Reliable and great gas mileage.

It's pretty hard to replace simple stuff like the front indicator bulbs and headlights do fog up. Could use another 10-20 hp. That would make it a perfect small car.

Better than my new Corolla
By Import Driver

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've always driven Hondas and Toyotas, but my 99 Escort SE Sport married into the family. When we had our first kid, I sold my Honda Del Sol, and bought a new Corolla. My wife got the new car and I got "stuck" with the Escort. It's been a phenominal car. It still drives like new after 100k (I know thats not much compared to other reviews), and I've never had any mechanical problems. It handles great, has good pick up, and I get pretty good gas mileage. All in all, I really prefer driving it to the new (2006) Corolla.

Great handling, good gas mileage, and very reliable

I would have upgraded the stereo and added a CD if it wasn't for the strange stereo/air faceplate. It was a strange Ford design when everything was contoured and oval.

Black and Beautiful
By turboDREAMS

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My Escort has almost 180k on it now and has never let me down. Ever. She sees high rpms on a daily basis because of how fun this ride is! 5spd is definitely the way to go and the response is outstanding. I thought escorts were grandma cars until i noticed civics trying to keep up! The handling is so smooth that i sometimes forget that I am in an Escort. All my friends look to the ground with rising gas prices as I enjoy the day no matter what with my easily captured 35mpg. Fuel economy is simply amazing in this car! If you want an affordable car that just won't leave you in the dust or stranded, and out runs half the hybrids in the mpg test, i can confidently say "go with the Escort!"

Handling, visibility, and throttle response.

More comfortable seats, sexier headlights, larger tachometer, and a redline that at least goes to 6500 rpms instead of the lonesome 5800 redline. Come on Ford, put the cards on the table!

Best Little Car!
By Jen

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new, other than normal maintenence, I've had no problems, never been stranded. It's getting older and the seats aren't what they use to be, but old age will do that to you. I'm wondering how many miles my Black Beauty will see.178,000 and counting.

Great on gas! Inexpensive to maintain. Very reliable. Wish they still made them!

I cant think of any, its been great for the price!

• SUV