Used 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

99 Ford ZX2 5 speed
By Randy

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Purchased with 89K and so far it has been a steal. Fun to drive, very peppy and handles nicely. Have the primo sound 6 disc changer and it sounds great. Gas mileage mostly highway is 29mpg. (moderate driving speeds/acceleration)

Sun roof and 6 disc cd. Geared for someone who likes to drive.

Engine is noisy. Long trips not the best as the seat comfort up front is not the best. Red paint faded slightly.

Sporty, economical & less than a Celica
By teriana

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with 93,000 mi on it and paid $4,300 out the door with every option available (over half the price of the Celica's I was looking at). The car has an awesome stereo with premium sound. I drove it until 119,000. The only thing I had to replace was the thermostat. When I bought it, it did have a slight transmission leak that I always meant to have fixed. Instead I just put more fluid in every once in a while. When I sold the car, it did seem like it had the beginnings of real transmission trouble, but I'm not positive. Trans problems are the one thing that can plague this vehicle. I can't ignore the fact, though, that my brother-in- law owned two with over 250,000 miles.

The car has a lot of get up and go. I never drag raced in it, but if I needed to beat someone off the light, I could do it easily. I averaged 26 MPG in city/hwy driving. And I wasn't light footed either. The best I ever got was 33 MPG. Saved me $1,600 in gas over my last wreck of a car ('89 Beretta)

I went on an 1,100 mile road trip through Canada. By the third day my sides were aching. The seats are extremely uncomfortable for long trips. The engine is a little loud, which is great for passing people, but it's a tad embarrassing when the car's just sitting there warming.

A good little car
By EddieSylvano

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car, and I've had it for 9 years, now. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought it - an American car made in Mexico - but it's been a champ. I've only had 2 problems in that time: the alternator died after about 4 years, and the AC after about 8. Other than that, it's been a great car. Good gas mileage, peppy acceleration, and fun to drive. I'm officially an adult now, and buying a new car, so it's time is up. I'm really going to miss it, though. I've had it so long it's like an extension of myself, and it's never let me down. I only hope my next car is as reliable and enjoyable. Farewell, old friend.

Remote entry, stick, oval radio panel, comfy seats

Nothing, really.

Found On Road Dead
By NoMoreFords

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car seemed to work alright up until about 65,000 miles...then I found myself in and out of the dealership/repair shops every few months. I would not buy a Ford again, lesson learned.

It is a cute car. If I was not always repairing it, it would have been a better car.

Like it to have been more reliable overall.

She runs like a champ, no matter what
By Maleficus

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased my used ZX2 about 2 years ago, with 58,000 miles on the clock. Since then, she's only let me down once, and that was because I hadn't performed a regular maintenance item. The timing belt slipped so it wouldn't run, took it to a shop who didn't know what they were doing and they told me my cold air intake and header were why she wouldn't idle (at ALL). Well, they were wrong, the timing was still off. For a year, she's been running with bad timing and she runs like a champ, well, to a certain degree. As soon as I fix the timing (myself!), I'm positive she'll be back to her old zippy, fun self. Please, please buy one of these cars, you won't regret it.

First and foremost, it's a Ford. She's zippy and fun to drive, plus just about bullet-proof.

Automatic transmission is very weak.