Used 1999 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort Sedan

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

still runs good
By draculara_0427

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I brought a 1999 ford escort with 125000 something miles on it. (don't remember the exact mileage) but I've had it for 2 years now I haven't had any major problems just replaced the starter. Monthly service like oil changes and tune up stuff like that other than that still a good running car.
It has about 144000 miles on it and its been a good little family car. Still gets me where I need to go.
I say it would be a great car for a high school student or college student. Planning to purchase another vehicle soon and i will keep this one.

Great First Car
By tkhan86

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, bought it at 40K miles for about $3K. Best purchase I've ever made to date. My father regularly changed the oil and we took it for regular check-ups. Had to replace the alternator once, and had to replace the breaks & heater at about 100K miles (this was probably more due to the fact that when I was younger, I was a bit excessive with my acceleration and subsequent breaking). Aside from those two things (and the occasional windshield blade needing to be replaced), this car has been incredible.

I ran it pretty hard (to and from Virginia for four years) and I think it has lived a VERY full life. I'll miss my ford.

For a 4 cylinder (and a personality in need of speed), it has been good enough for the past 6 years. I tell people that I "zip around town" in my little '99 red ford escort. The pick-up is surprising. Not to mention it's small enough to fit in compact car parking spots!

Forget this ambassador of Ford junk
By elly2

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

When it was new it was problem free but after a few years and miles even with good maintenance and light driving the problems start showing up.
I now expect major work on an annual basis.
No doubt the CCRM failed on the A/c which is common to this model, rear springs snapped which is also common, engine pipe fell off, speedometer meter in the axle broke, and even the shift console light doesn't work, and now some kind of power sapping engine problem.
Driving this car is zero fun and all hassle.

Nobody is going to rifle through it if you forget to lock the doors.

I'd say stop making it but Ford already figured that out.

Great all around car
By Anonymous

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car.I bought it in 2004 with 17k and currently has 106k.I'm not a FORD lover,I only bought it cause it was in my price range and got good reviews.Ive fixed only brakes, rotors, belt, tie rod and flex pipe piece ($1050).Just moved cross country with almost 900lbs of stuff.No problems handling it at 85 mph. Does display the common rough idle which most escorts do just due to the type of engine.So far it beat the life of my parents chevy malibu and dodge intrepid, which blew head gaskets and transmissions before 100k.I'm not a car guy,dont prefer one brand over another,but this car doesn't die, starts every time. Not much to look at. Gets you from A to B with no problems at all.

Don't have to replace timing belt till 125k unlike most cars at 60k to 100k. No fancy features to drive up the price, just has the basic necessities. I like that cause to many makers focus on extras rather than quality of the vehicle itself. Great paint jobs, still shines like new and zero rust.

For some reason all Escorts engines rough Idle. The engines have been proven to run 200k easy from what I read, but for some reason they idle which does get annoying from time to time.

1999 ford escort 2.0 4 dr auto
By theresa

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Well, I guess this car is pretty reliable, in a way. Always starts on the first try, but here lately it has nickeled and dimed me to death. And finally, the number 4 valve seat is shot. A common problem with this car, as I have found. Gonna cost 1100.00 to fix and I only paid 1500.00 for the car 3 years ago. So sell for junk I guess.

great gas mileage..always starts on the first try.

#4 valve seat defect