1999 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Best car to learn how to drive on!
By Nikki on 06/09/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for me to learn how to drive on in 2005. 4 years later, we've put about 20K miles on it and it still runs great. It gets me back and forth between school and home whenever I need it to, and even survived large tree branches falling on it during an intense wind storm with just a few dents and a broken windshield. It has its quirks, but it's an old car at this point and will. My parents bought my sister another escort after I got my license so I could drive this one, never had any problems!

Stayed in the Family
By Commuter Scooter on 05/19/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Car was purchased very inexpensively as a commuter scooter. I needed cheap miles and this car fit the bill. Only 8400 miles at the time of purchase but with hail damage that didn't affect operation. Issues have been easy to fix (relay module, tie rod end and vacuum hose) but otherwise no problems in over 100,000 miles. It has never left anyone stranded. Great gas mileage city or open road. Easy to work on by a shade tree mechanic. Now my daughter considers it "her" car for use at college. I see it several times a year now and keep the maintenance up for her. She understands the economics of inexpensive, reliable transportation instead of a fashion statement.

chopped
By Duck on 04/06/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my escort from a shoty used car guy after I wrecked my Neon. I've been into modding cars since I was 16 so the thought of getting an Escourt didnt thrill me in the least. Big time surprise to me swapped the original motor for a 2000 DOHC Ztec ZX2 w/ 74k miles then began the work on this car, my feul economy is sorta my fault....:P but other than that no real complaints with the new ZX2 motor and upgrades its quick, still great for long trips.....not only that but I'm killin mustangs off the line and putting 140 easy on the speedo and 11.6 on the board

engine idle vibration
By Lynn on 03/07/09 11:19 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a salvage 1998 Ford Escort SE Sedan with 63,000 miles and LOVED it. I had it for almost seven years and parted with it because of a rusted frame. It had 138,000 miles and was running strong. I loved it so much that I recently bought a 1999 Ford Escort with 65,000 miles. I'm sorry to say the engine idle vibration and a constant exhaust-like noise has forced me to ask for a replacement vehicle. My 1998 Escort never had this problem though it did have broken coil springs. I found the TSB 031515 but the local Ford dealership said the problem may or may not be resolved with mount replacements and such so my GM dealership didn't take the chance on the costs of repairs.

I love my car!
By syne on 03/01/09 19:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I purchased it with 83k miles on it. Five years later and we're up to 160k, and the timing belt just broke. But it's okay because my model has a non interference engine so it didn't do any other damage besides leaving me in a parking lot. I've done little to no maintenance in the last 80k miles and its been so good to me! I hope I can get this past 200k, and am planning on keeping it until it it dies. Fuel economy slowly shrinking, now its about 26mpg combined.

Going strong
By michigan91 on 01/02/09 00:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have always been a fan of Escorts and was excited to get one as my first car. It was purchased in July of 2006 with 79,000 miles and I'm almost to 91,000. When I bought the car the radio had stuff spilled in it so that was replaced. My check engine light gave me trouble for an idle speed thing, fixed and it idles very well. Other than that I blew one rusty trans line, the CEL is on again for the EGR valve (im ignoring it) and my blower motor just went, but other than the trans line which is expected in a winter climate, all my repairs have been cheap and have not been detrimental to the car in terms of running. Hasn't left me stranded, and we're almost to 91,000 miles.

Reliable little car
By Kevin on 11/28/08 20:06 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car way back in 2000 and it has never ever left me stranded. Looks nice, has good interior room for the driver and front seat passenger. No big repairs, just the usual cost of ownership stuff. The 5 speed is actually quite sprightly, and takes off very fast from a stop. Handling is very nice, I've driven it in some of the most cornersome roads in the Oregon mountains and coast and its been great. Even had this baby on dirt roads/forste roads. Tough as nails. Its got 208,000 miles now and still starts every day. Pity Ford no longer makes these or I would buy another.

Better than my new Corolla
By Import Driver on 09/07/08 17:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've always driven Hondas and Toyotas, but my 99 Escort SE Sport married into the family. When we had our first kid, I sold my Honda Del Sol, and bought a new Corolla. My wife got the new car and I got "stuck" with the Escort. It's been a phenominal car. It still drives like new after 100k (I know thats not much compared to other reviews), and I've never had any mechanical problems. It handles great, has good pick up, and I get pretty good gas mileage. All in all, I really prefer driving it to the new (2006) Corolla.

Black and Beautiful
By turboDREAMS on 04/10/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Escort has almost 180k on it now and has never let me down. Ever. She sees high rpms on a daily basis because of how fun this ride is! 5spd is definitely the way to go and the response is outstanding. I thought escorts were grandma cars until i noticed civics trying to keep up! The handling is so smooth that i sometimes forget that I am in an Escort. All my friends look to the ground with rising gas prices as I enjoy the day no matter what with my easily captured 35mpg. Fuel economy is simply amazing in this car! If you want an affordable car that just won't leave you in the dust or stranded, and out runs half the hybrids in the mpg test, i can confidently say "go with the Escort!"

Best Little Car!
By Jen on 04/02/08 01:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new, other than normal maintenence, I've had no problems, never been stranded. It's getting older and the seats aren't what they use to be, but old age will do that to you. I'm wondering how many miles my Black Beauty will see.178,000 and counting.