Used 1999 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort Sedan

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Forget this ambassador of Ford junk
By elly2

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

When it was new it was problem free but after a few years and miles even with good maintenance and light driving the problems start showing up. I now expect major work on an annual basis. No doubt the CCRM failed on the A/c which is common to this model, rear springs snapped which is also common, engine pipe fell off, speedometer meter in the axle broke, and even the shift console light doesn't work, and now some kind of power sapping engine problem. Driving this car is zero fun and all hassle.

Favorite Features

Nobody is going to rifle through it if you forget to lock the doors.

Suggested Improvements

I'd say stop making it but Ford already figured that out.

Great all around car
By Anonymous

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car.I bought it in 2004 with 17k and currently has 106k.I'm not a FORD lover,I only bought it cause it was in my price range and got good reviews.Ive fixed only brakes, rotors, belt, tie rod and flex pipe piece ($1050).Just moved cross country with almost 900lbs of stuff.No problems handling it at 85 mph. Does display the common rough idle which most escorts do just due to the type of engine.So far it beat the life of my parents chevy malibu and dodge intrepid, which blew head gaskets and transmissions before 100k.I'm not a car guy,dont prefer one brand over another,but this car doesn't die, starts every time. Not much to look at. Gets you from A to B with no problems at all.

Favorite Features

Don't have to replace timing belt till 125k unlike most cars at 60k to 100k. No fancy features to drive up the price, just has the basic necessities. I like that cause to many makers focus on extras rather than quality of the vehicle itself. Great paint jobs, still shines like new and zero rust.

Suggested Improvements

For some reason all Escorts engines rough Idle. The engines have been proven to run 200k easy from what I read, but for some reason they idle which does get annoying from time to time.

1999 ford escort 2.0 4 dr auto
By theresa

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Well, I guess this car is pretty reliable, in a way. Always starts on the first try, but here lately it has nickeled and dimed me to death. And finally, the number 4 valve seat is shot. A common problem with this car, as I have found. Gonna cost 1100.00 to fix and I only paid 1500.00 for the car 3 years ago. So sell for junk I guess.

Favorite Features

great gas mileage..always starts on the first try.

Suggested Improvements

#4 valve seat defect

1999 Escort 4 Door LX
By MacBob

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Basic transportation with good gas mileage. Surprised at the cheap plastic trim that breaks easily. My Escort is basic model, 5 speed, with no P/W or Power Locks, but does have A/C. Good handling and decent performance from 2.0 L motor. * I chose this over buying ZX2 because ZX2 motor(Zetec)less reliable than this basic motor. If you can an obtain a used Escort for a good price, buy one. Otherwise buy a Corolla, Elantra, or comparible better car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, handles ok, reliable (if avoid ZX2 model).

Suggested Improvements

Very cheap plastic trim needs improvement.

174000
By lchandler

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My car has 174000 and it still runs. This is great I know people that did drive Hunda Toyota Dodge and other makers and their cars did not last as long.

Favorite Features

relability small good mpg

Suggested Improvements

CD player