1999 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Sporty, economical & less than a Celica
By teriana on 01/07/08 09:57 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with 93,000 mi on it and paid $4,300 out the door with every option available (over half the price of the Celica's I was looking at). The car has an awesome stereo with premium sound. I drove it until 119,000. The only thing I had to replace was the thermostat. When I bought it, it did have a slight transmission leak that I always meant to have fixed. Instead I just put more fluid in every once in a while. When I sold the car, it did seem like it had the beginnings of real transmission trouble, but I'm not positive. Trans problems are the one thing that can plague this vehicle. I can't ignore the fact, though, that my brother-in- law owned two with over 250,000 miles.

Ford Failure
By 1REDZX2 on 12/27/07 12:17 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Bought this for my daughter for features, price and CU rating. Noisiest engine,sounds like a diesel, replaced both driveshafts before 60k, now at 85k one is failing again. Both ABS wheels cracked prior to 60K. Odd sized tires that you'll pay a premium for. At least it still looks good

A good little car
By EddieSylvano on 12/03/07 12:02 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car, and I've had it for 9 years, now. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought it - an American car made in Mexico - but it's been a champ. I've only had 2 problems in that time: the alternator died after about 4 years, and the AC after about 8. Other than that, it's been a great car. Good gas mileage, peppy acceleration, and fun to drive. I'm officially an adult now, and buying a new car, so it's time is up. I'm really going to miss it, though. I've had it so long it's like an extension of myself, and it's never let me down. I only hope my next car is as reliable and enjoyable. Farewell, old friend.

Great car
By Mr. Burger on 09/21/07 12:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have put 194,000 miles on so far and have had no maintenance issues thus far. Change the oil every 3,500, that's it. Am still averaging 35.4 MPG. This has been a great can and expect to get 300,000 miles out of it easy.

DO NOT BUY
By Hatemycar on 03/12/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have had such a bad time with this car. I have put two transmissions in it and it had left me stranded numerous times.

Found On Road Dead
By NoMoreFords on 08/30/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car seemed to work alright up until about 65,000 miles...then I found myself in and out of the dealership/repair shops every few months. I would not buy a Ford again, lesson learned.

She runs like a champ, no matter what
By Maleficus on 06/30/06 01:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased my used ZX2 about 2 years ago, with 58,000 miles on the clock. Since then, she's only let me down once, and that was because I hadn't performed a regular maintenance item. The timing belt slipped so it wouldn't run, took it to a shop who didn't know what they were doing and they told me my cold air intake and header were why she wouldn't idle (at ALL). Well, they were wrong, the timing was still off. For a year, she's been running with bad timing and she runs like a champ, well, to a certain degree. As soon as I fix the timing (myself!), I'm positive she'll be back to her old zippy, fun self. Please, please buy one of these cars, you won't regret it.

Nice first car
By Paco on 05/28/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I love this car. It is good and economical and very reliable when it is well taken care of. Good car for single people or students.

So far, so good!
By Dover ZX2 on 12/27/05 20:53 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sporty, quick car that's fun to drive! I bought my ZX2 with 30,000 miles in 2001 for $8K. I have put 90,000 more miles on it in 4 years. This car gets great gas mileage on the highway… my best was 39 mpg. Some gripes: tends to drift on concrete pavement. Engine is loud over 70 mph. I agree with a few reviewers, this car has a mind of its own. My cruise control will stop working randomly. The horn went off by itself … I had to pull the fuse! I bought an extended warranty which was a great investment … it covered the cost of replacing the entire AC system, alternator, radio/cassette, tie rod, and horn.

Wicked Little Ride!
By anubisankh1031 on 10/23/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Mine has 58,500 miles. Been hearing some squeaks. Strange vibration near the driver's side front when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Transmission has a "hop" in it when starting from stand-still off the line. Had a '92 Escort LX and at 57K it did the same thing. MAINTAIN YOUR TRANSMISSION! Also, rotate tires & maintenance alignment regularly or it will PULL SHARP to one side because it is so light. Hydroplanes when wet out. Put weight in trunk to prevent this during winter. Engine run better on premium grade fuels. Fuel injectors cause drag if you use cheap fuel over time. Other than those typical high-mileage issues -- it's fast, fuel-economical, and stylish.