1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Wicked Little Ride!
By anubisankh1031 on 10/23/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Mine has 58,500 miles. Been hearing some squeaks. Strange vibration near the driver's side front when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Transmission has a "hop" in it when starting from stand-still off the line. Had a '92 Escort LX and at 57K it did the same thing. MAINTAIN YOUR TRANSMISSION! Also, rotate tires & maintenance alignment regularly or it will PULL SHARP to one side because it is so light. Hydroplanes when wet out. Put weight in trunk to prevent this during winter. Engine run better on premium grade fuels. Fuel injectors cause drag if you use cheap fuel over time. Other than those typical high-mileage issues -- it's fast, fuel-economical, and stylish.

Good, Reliable, and Inexpensive
By ZX2Owner on 08/09/05 10:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned my ZX2 since 1999. At that time it had a lot of horsepower and equipment for a reasonable price. It has been a good investment. At six years, the car has is still running with its original factory-installed battery. I replaced the tires (because I did not bother to rotate the original ones properly), but have I not invested a dime in repairs. It has been very reliable car. Too bad Ford decided to discontinue it, Escorts in general seem to be reliable cars. I am glad I bought the car and when ready to purchase another car, I will consider another Ford car.

Trade before 140,000km!
By Lynne on 03/09/05 10:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have to admit that my ZX2 has been a good car. Bought it new in 1999. Safe and solid (i hit a tree and walked away). So Ford builds tough thats for sure! However, it seems no one tells you that around 140,000 km's that your automatic transmission will blow up. Oh heres the stinger - $3000 to fix! I had to take out a loan to fix it. I talked to the dealer and they laughed and said they knew this would happen when the sold it to me.

Great 1st Car
By ZX2 Driver on 01/17/05 14:41 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This was my first personally-owned car, a 5-speed Sport model. This car has great performance for a budget car. With about 71,000 miles, there have been a lot more squeaks and rattles showing up. The interior of the car is also fairly noisy. There aren't too many aftermarket parts for this car (especially compared to the Civic). Ford made a special-edition S/R model, and parts are still available to upgrade the basic ZX2 to achieve the S/R's better performance. So far the only major things I've had to replace are the alternator and the 3rd gear synchro. The manual trannies in these cars aren't the strongest, but if you don't abuse it, it should last. I'm still on the original clutch.

Pretty Good After 5 Years
By ZX2 Girl on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The car is in pretty good condition for being 5 years old. Of course, it doesn't run as smoothly as it use to. The air conditioning and tape deck both have gone out twice. My breaks make odd noises when I'm stopping (I've had them checked out). Even when new, the car idles really rough. Besides that, I've had no major mechanical problems. It's a good car for a first time buyer.

DO NOT BUY A ZX2
By nofx on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

After approximately 48,000 mi of driving this car completley went south. I provided regular maintainence and oil changes, yet still had to have the engine and transmission replaced at 48,000 mi.

I miss my ZX2
By Jamie Lynne on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I loved this car even though i only had it for 2 weeks i love it the only problem was it was my first car and i was soo happy it was layed out for my bday and 2 weeks after driving it i got in a horrible car wreck and it was totaled....

Love this car!!
By My Great Car on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I went to Florida in March and got 40 MPG consistently on a two day trip. Can't get much better than that! I even get great mileage around my rural area, back and forth to stores, etc. Have not put any money into it, except a tie rod end, tires, and everyday maintenance. I love this car!!! Heats great, cools great, fun to drive!!

Awesome
By NATAS on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is the best car to drive. it has very comfortable seats and drives really good. BUY ONE TODAY!

zx2 is great!!!!!
By dragonslayer on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I think the zx2 is the best compact car out. I belive that the zx2 is reliable and i have had no problems. also i know the zx2 is a good racing car atleast against the honda civic (which isnt all that great) the zx2 is under rated and should be higher rated than the civic. also the escort zx2 is not really a escort it was put on fords production line to replace the ford probe the escort zx2 should not be viewed and shuned by people just because its and escort view it as ford zx2 just forget about the escort part because its better and faster than the regular escort.this car should be respected more than the honda civic because this is a great car to get.