1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Trusty Escort
By Mel on 08/13/05 23:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort brand new and it has been an awesome basic car to have. It has only "dumped" me once, and it was my fault because I ignored the dying battery warning signs. I have the 5 spd and it never gets less than 34 MPG no matter what the conditions. It averages 36. Escorts will go forever with care, and I expect to see this one get 150,000 miles.

Teenager (with little money)
By an escort? on 12/23/04 12:02 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My Escort does not run well. The exhaust manifold got a crack in it and it takes a whole block to get up to 25 mph. The battery has died at least 5 times, even though i bought a new one. I get regular oil changes and replace the air filter. All the repairs this car need cost over $400 per thing to be fixed. Also, the flywheel in my transmission is bent so it makes a loud clicking noise whenever I am not accelerating. if you want a reliable car get a Honda Accord or something similar.

Buy This Car If You Hate Yourself
By Arun Singh on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my parents, mainly because they severely disliked driving it. While I am grateful for having a means of transportation, I would have rather had a good used car than a brand new Escort. They had only used it for 2 years when they gave this car to me, and had taken fairly good care of it. I only recently started having problems (when it was roughly four years old) with the transmission and the engine. It has surges of powers and shifts very hard. The interior and exterior styling is forgettable.

Top Economy Car
By 99LXSPORT on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car is just like any other basic economy car with a kick. The car has an awesome look from behind and side but from front looks really girly, but that all can be changed by taking the orange plate out of your headlights. The 2.0L Split Port Induction engine produces a solid 115 HP and 125 lb/ft of torque good for the SOHC 8V valvetrain. The interior style is solid, just a CD player and you have a solid car.

Good Car to Buy
By salisalisali on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

It's a good car to buy althoug needs more leg space for driver.

Very practical car for cost
By Chris Hadley on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over 2 years ago now. The only problem is the engine developed a shimmy around the 45,000 mile mark. I took it to the dealership and they gave me some crap about tubing or something. It cost me $95 but it fixed the only problem. I got into an accident where I was struck sideways in the back and I walked away and the car was able to be fixed. I was hit by a VERY large truck so I was impressed by the build quality. The car is a smooth ride and peppy for a 4 cyl. engine. I have put well over 7,500 interstate miles on this car in the last year. GREAT CAR!

bye bye ford
By unhappy with FORD on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble. My sister has an eight year old escort in better shape. After taking it for repairs every few months, and it is EXPENSIVE now that it is off warranty, I am getting rid of this piece of junk! Honda here I come

Good Little car
By tmoore on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a good little car. I've had one problem(wheel bearing needed replacing). It has 93,000 miles on it and Knock wood no other problems. Now my wife's 2000 focus on the other hand has been pain with mutiple recalls. Overall I'm satisfied with the 99 Escort.

Third Ford
By mlittle on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was our third ford car. Leased a 95 Escort,and a 97 Contour. Bought the 99 Escort. It was a really good car to drive and living in Washington we were always taking weekend trips. We bought it new and had it at 29000 when sold to move back east. Nothing ever went wrong. We are now looking to buy another 99 Escort.