1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
First New Car
By Steve on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sadly I don't have this car anymore, but I wanted to write a review anyway. It was the first car I ever bought brand spanking new (with only 9 miles on it). It was sharp looking, unbelievably reliable, surprisingly good in the snow, and served me well for the 5 years I owned it. I traded it in for my current car, 2005 Volvo S40 turbo, but still miss it and sometimes wish I still had it.

LOVE IT
By elizabeth on 03/12/10 20:12 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, got it when I was 16 I'm almost 19 now. When my mom gave it to me it had 150,000 miles. Now it has 215,700. Its been totaled twice. Been involved in a few more little wrecks. I've backed into 4 cars (hasn't messed up either car either time) the timing belt broke on it. Thought the motor was gone, but it wasn't. I tore the front end up and the hole drivers side door up by hitting a fence. It chirps wheels in second gear. I couldn't have asked for a better first car. Gas mileage. Filled it up today for 28$ itll run 300 miles a tank. My kids will probably be driving this car. I have a spare exact same car (but it has a sunroof) with 140,000 on it when the motor blows in this one.

1999 ford escort 2.0 4 dr auto
By theresa on 03/09/10 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Well, I guess this car is pretty reliable, in a way. Always starts on the first try, but here lately it has nickeled and dimed me to death. And finally, the number 4 valve seat is shot. A common problem with this car, as I have found. Gonna cost 1100.00 to fix and I only paid 1500.00 for the car 3 years ago. So sell for junk I guess.

still going
By rosa on 01/05/10 13:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this used, and now has over 200,000 miles on it, and still going strong, absolutly great gas mileage, but the ride is bumpy and noisy, but it's basic and cheap transportation, moon roof is neat, body paint still shines, replaced thrmostat, timing belt, rods, battery, tires. will drive it til it dies.

1999 Escort 4 Door LX
By MacBob on 01/05/10 12:11 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Basic transportation with good gas mileage. Surprised at the cheap plastic trim that breaks easily. My Escort is basic model, 5 speed, with no P/W or Power Locks, but does have A/C. Good handling and decent performance from 2.0 L motor. * I chose this over buying ZX2 because ZX2 motor(Zetec)less reliable than this basic motor. If you can an obtain a used Escort for a good price, buy one. Otherwise buy a Corolla, Elantra, or comparible better car.

Look Good for Cheap
By Subaroid! on 09/02/09 01:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is a good, cheap piece of transportation. There's not much to this car, just the bare necessities. Crank windows, no CD player, no A/C. It's got 108,000 miles on it, and has done well for a Ford. Only replaced the alternator and an idler pulley so far (relatively cheap fixes, $400, $100), have done the brakes; rotors and pads front for $50. It's got the 2.0 liter engine and a 5 speed manual so it gets good mileage (25 or so with me driving it hard), has good handling, and is fun to drive. It's due for a clutch, and there are squeaks, rattles, and oil leaks. Interior trim pieces are also falling off.

174000
By lchandler on 07/18/09 08:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My car has 174000 and it still runs. This is great I know people that did drive Hunda Toyota Dodge and other makers and their cars did not last as long.

Don't buy
By HC on 07/11/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I was the 3rd owner and bought this car for every day use. The car condition was considered “clean” and previous 2 owners kept excellent valid maintenance records. This is my first car so I stick tightly to check up schedule to reduce any mechanical problems. I got around 28-30 mpg highway and 18-21 mpg in town. There were many problems with this car. The biggest two were tranny and engine. This car sucked too much money form me. At ~94,000 miles the transmission slipped (after 20,000 miles used). Sometimes, it stuck at low gear and won’t shift up when I gassed it up or slipped, shift down and lost speed, very dangerous if it happens when I pass a car. I got it fixed. At ~130,000 miles, the

Great 1st car!
By Christine on 07/10/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this as my very first car. My stepdad fixed it up for me and it runs like a charm! The inside is pretty comfy and it hasn't given me any problems yet. I definitely would purchase another ford in the future :)

Best car to learn how to drive on!
By Nikki on 06/09/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for me to learn how to drive on in 2005. 4 years later, we've put about 20K miles on it and it still runs great. It gets me back and forth between school and home whenever I need it to, and even survived large tree branches falling on it during an intense wind storm with just a few dents and a broken windshield. It has its quirks, but it's an old car at this point and will. My parents bought my sister another escort after I got my license so I could drive this one, never had any problems!