1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
overall a great car...
By escort on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

The only problem I have had with this car is it stalls sometimes when I go from reverse to first gear or starting at first from a stop. The dealership claims they can't find the problem. I have been driving stick for 30 years, so I would expect I would have been able to adjust to this one, so I don't think it is me. Other than that, the car runs well. I have the oil changed every 3000 miles, despite the dealership stating it only needs it every 5000. Driving in Los Angeles pushes a car to its limits. I would buy another Escort/Focus, but would get an automatic.

Good Commuter Car
By blubyu on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 30,000 miles on it and it runs very well. Does not leak anything and drivers very tight with ice cold AC that does not drain power from the engine. Pretty good passing power for a 4 cylinder with an automatic. Comfortable to drive and easy to get in and out of.

Third Ford
By mlittle on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was our third ford car. Leased a 95 Escort,and a 97 Contour. Bought the 99 Escort. It was a really good car to drive and living in Washington we were always taking weekend trips. We bought it new and had it at 29000 when sold to move back east. Nothing ever went wrong. We are now looking to buy another 99 Escort.

ZX2 Hot
By Meri on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I use this car to commute to New York Metro area from Pa. I have put 90,000 miles on it in the 3 years I have owned it and the only thing that I have had to do on my ZX2 was change the oil and once the brakes. It has been a great car to own in terms of reliability and it is also a fun little car to drive. The Zx2 has a lot of pep and handles well on corners and in all weather conditions. I would recomend this model to anyone looking for a fast, fun, inexpensive form of transpertation.

Worst Lemon Ever Owned!
By Trent Mindeman on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I purchased this wagon after reviewing other buyers comments 2 years ago. My inlaws also have 2 wagons and have had great success. At 56,000 miles one front wheel bearing and the clutch went. 3,000 miles later the clutch went again and it was discovered that the transmission was leaking fluid into the clutch so we replaced the transmission. Now at 61,000 the car is surging on the highway and I have a 5 hour trip planned for this weekend. The mechanic looked it over good and found a cracked fan belt, broken rear spring, look tie rod end and the surging.... well it's definately the clutch.

It's not a Chick Magnet Car!!
By dave88 on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

piled up more than 39,000 miles in just over 2 years... in San Francisco Bay Area without a single problem... averaged 30mpg with automatic transmission. Change Oil every 3K...very Underrated ...it's a sleeper ... drive over 85 miles daily and still holds up without a single problem... knocks on wood...

First Car in College
By ibnice on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I got my ZX2 3 years ago and have been so thankful for it. No, it's not a road demon, but it definately has treated me well in the years that I've driven it. It picks up well, and handles relatively well considering that it is an entry level car. I've had no mechanical problems with it in the three years that I've owned it. Be ware that it doesn't handle the rain very well, it slips and slides all around the road in water. High speeds are also a bit scary. Dispit the fact that the car has the engine capability to get up and go, the car's design limits it's stability on the highway to about 85 mph.

Ford Escort SE Wagon
By Pete ED on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I am a family man and pretty much like the car. Great value for the buck.