Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

My Ford
By Blair

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I bought. I really like it but seem to always have a problem with it. It has always gotten me from here to there.

Favorite Features

I would have to say the seats are really comfortable and the trunk has a whole lot of space. I can fit everything I need to take and still have room left over.

Suggested Improvements

My gas mileage isn't that great but I'm sure I can fix that; oh and suspension turning -- something's funny with that.

Mediocrity at its best
By Kuri

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my '99 Escort with 24k on it, thinking it was a good buy. Less than a month later I had bad vibrations in the car during idle. Had to rip out and replace the motor mounts, a problem that I've read other people having online. Horrible console design, cup holders won't hold anything bigger than a 20 ounce cup. Bad acceleration and I'm already having transmission problems thanks to it. For some reason gas mileage plummets with city driving from 30-35 mpg to about 25 or so. I like small cars so this is actually a bit big for me; I'd have preferred a ZX2 if anything. Back seat has no room for comfort. My issues with the exterior looks were solved with a body kit. Speakers didn't even survive 2 months.

Favorite Features

The only parts I like on this car didn't come on it. The most reliable car I've ever owned, but that definitely isn't saying much.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage shouldn't drop that much from city to highway. Motor mounts seem to be a reoccurring problem with this car; look for bad vibrations in the console and steering wheel. Horrid acceleration, I've been out sped by minivans.

So far, so good!
By Dover ZX2

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sporty, quick car that's fun to drive! I bought my ZX2 with 30,000 miles in 2001 for $8K. I have put 90,000 more miles on it in 4 years. This car gets great gas mileage on the highway… my best was 39 mpg. Some gripes: tends to drift on concrete pavement. Engine is loud over 70 mph. I agree with a few reviewers, this car has a mind of its own. My cruise control will stop working randomly. The horn went off by itself … I had to pull the fuse! I bought an extended warranty which was a great investment … it covered the cost of replacing the entire AC system, alternator, radio/cassette, tie rod, and horn.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and great gas mileage (30-37mpg!). 60/40 split seats and tons of truck space. Pretty good in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter interior (too much noise); more comfortable seats; more room in the back seat.

Good Little Car
By matt

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with only 61K. It needed nothing from the dealer and currently needsnothing besides brakes. It's been a solid and reliable car. Acceleration is only adequate and it idles quite rough. The interior is comfortable although there's not a lot of room in back. Fuel economy is definitely a plus.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Keyless entry. Reliability and quality.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a more powerful and smoother engine. While the integrated control panel is a good idea, it's harder and more expensive to get an aftermarket radio to fit because you have to replace the whole panel and not just the radio.

Wicked Little Ride!
By anubisankh1031

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Mine has 58,500 miles. Been hearing some squeaks. Strange vibration near the driver's side front when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Transmission has a "hop" in it when starting from stand-still off the line. Had a '92 Escort LX and at 57K it did the same thing. MAINTAIN YOUR TRANSMISSION! Also, rotate tires & maintenance alignment regularly or it will PULL SHARP to one side because it is so light. Hydroplanes when wet out. Put weight in trunk to prevent this during winter. Engine run better on premium grade fuels. Fuel injectors cause drag if you use cheap fuel over time. Other than those typical high-mileage issues -- it's fast, fuel-economical, and stylish.

Favorite Features

Built with a Japanese engine for fast speed & has sportscar styling. Sunroof & 6-disc CD changer a plus! LOW MAINTENANCE. Mine has a personality ALL its own. Just call it 'CHRISTINE'... LOL.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter engine. Engine is ornery & LOUD when it's cold out. Better transmission. Get out the electrical bugs. Sometimes I swear this car is possessed: radio shorts out on me at random & doesn't allow you to change station or doesn't allow you to switch back from CD to radio! WEIRD GLITCHES.