1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
cheap mans acura integra
By zx2 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Over 63K with oil changes and no major repairs. I think I am still on the original brakes. Engine noise is high. Car rides smooth and not harsh over bumps. Agressively geared really flies. Hardly have to press on the gas pedal. Trunk is reasonable size. Very reliable in the three years I have had it, just starts and runs. I think this car thinks its a honda or a toyota, often gets mistaken for one. Only will sell because I need more room.

Ford Zx2 is a good practical car.
By Yanno on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

If given the choice between this and a Focus or Honda again I would still choose the Zx2. The car is very fun to drive, work on, it's very quick and outruns most cars on the road including some V8s yet still if babied I can get 37 miles the gallon and carry a lot of cargo. It's always been reliable and multi-functional. I went from an SUV to this and will never go back. Truly can not get a car this fast, this practical for this amount of money. Quite possibly one of Ford's best cars. If this was in Europe or the UK the raving would never cease.

GREAT WHILE UNDER WARRANTY
By SHANANA on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My 1999 ZX2 was great while it was under warranty.. Just after that ran out I had to repair my air conditoner. Then about 8000 miles after that I had to fix the wheel bearing. Now 7000 miles later I hear a noise in the front end. Still need to get that looked at. I have loved the car up till now. Still looks great. The ride has always been nice(if you only have one passenger with you and no babiew to try to get into a car seat).

Perfect First Car
By doubleblack on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned the Ford ZX2 for 3 years and have had zero problems. It combines great highway fuel economy with surpising performance. No other car in this price range/age match it cornering ablities on dry roads.

Pleasant Surprise
By XQSME EH on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I was looking for a commuter car, got that but also some extras. I found the ZX2 to have suprising power, sufficient comfort to take a 500 mile trip and to hold its own at freeway speeds, bonuses all. I am 6'4" and 225 lb and didn't expect to get away with buying so small a car. I have so much confidence in it that I bought new tires warranteed for 100,000 miles!

bye bye ford
By unhappy with FORD on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble. My sister has an eight year old escort in better shape. After taking it for repairs every few months, and it is EXPENSIVE now that it is off warranty, I am getting rid of this piece of junk! Honda here I come

great
By scott wamsley on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

great car reliable good on gas

Not a fun car
By Bob995 on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 99 Escort SE and I hate it. It is very uncomfortable. It is so slow I have trouble pulling into freeway traffic. Forget about anyone but very small children riding in the back seat for more than a couple minutes.

Good Car for the Price
By DavidbytheMouseHouse on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

It is a very simple car. It isn't powerful. It isn't very comfortable. I can feel almost every bump in the road. The A/C works like a dream on freeways but not very well at a stop. I put 58,000 miles on the car and have had to put it in the shop twice. In both instances, it was for a bad alternator. If everything I have said seems negative, keep in mind that this car ran me $11,000 out the door. For the money, this is the BEST car I have had. If your purpose for purchasing a car is a cheap, fairly dependable, vehicle that will get you where you need to go, then the Escort is it.

Good Little car
By tmoore on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a good little car. I've had one problem(wheel bearing needed replacing). It has 93,000 miles on it and Knock wood no other problems. Now my wife's 2000 focus on the other hand has been pain with mutiple recalls. Overall I'm satisfied with the 99 Escort.