1999 Ford Escort SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
1999 Escort SE Sport
By JFE on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Owned it a little over 2 years now. Had repeated water leaks in both headlights. Finally corrected. Water in trunk. Replaced inner & outer tie rods on Drivers side. (thanks to hit & run driver) Vibrations from somewhere beneath the car. That was checked and nothing was found. Occasionally the left speaker cuts out.

Good Car to Buy
By salisalisali on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

It's a good car to buy althoug needs more leg space for driver.

Very practical car for cost
By Chris Hadley on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over 2 years ago now. The only problem is the engine developed a shimmy around the 45,000 mile mark. I took it to the dealership and they gave me some crap about tubing or something. It cost me $95 but it fixed the only problem. I got into an accident where I was struck sideways in the back and I walked away and the car was able to be fixed. I was hit by a VERY large truck so I was impressed by the build quality. The car is a smooth ride and peppy for a 4 cyl. engine. I have put well over 7,500 interstate miles on this car in the last year. GREAT CAR!

SUCKS!!!!!!!
By Cara on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

My experience with the Ford Escort ZX2 has been horrible from the start. First, 3 months after I purchased it the entire transmission was shot. (Under warranty they replaced it). 1 year later the power steering went out. The break are horrible and even though I change them often the dealership says that these types of cars have that "Squicky" problem.

Great Purchase!
By Vette man on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought the car for less than $10K brand new in 1999. Really quick, have had it over 100 mph often. Its almost as quick as my '84 Corvette. Have 80K miles on it and no problems what so ever. Bought my daughter one. She got into a head on collision at 50 mph and walked away from it. The crush zones and air bags worked as well as a BMW. The best value Ford every sold.

Great Car
By philmie on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

My ZX2 is a wonderful car. Since I have had it I drive it 50 miles a day to and from school and then I deliver pizzas 4 days a week. My car is up to the abuse and I treat it to regular oil changes usually a few miles before 3000. It has good pep when accelerating even though it hada small engine. Sporty look too especially when it is given some tint and premium rims.

zx2 is great!!!!!
By dragonslayer on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I think the zx2 is the best compact car out. I belive that the zx2 is reliable and i have had no problems. also i know the zx2 is a good racing car atleast against the honda civic (which isnt all that great) the zx2 is under rated and should be higher rated than the civic. also the escort zx2 is not really a escort it was put on fords production line to replace the ford probe the escort zx2 should not be viewed and shuned by people just because its and escort view it as ford zx2 just forget about the escort part because its better and faster than the regular escort.this car should be respected more than the honda civic because this is a great car to get.

Fun But Cheap
By fordzx2blue on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Poor manual transmission and headlights. The seats are made for women (lots of lumbar support). But, it is zippy!

Pauls review
By Paul Mcknight on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

A very good all around little car.Not much leg room in the back though.

ESCORT IT IS
By JRJNJLB on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

AS A FAMILY MAN I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF DRIVING THIS CAR. PLUS I NO LONGER HAVE TO USE MY BMW TO HAUL OUR KIDS AROUND. NOT THAT THE KIDS CARE THEY THINK THE ESCORT IS CUTE-ER. IT'S DEFINATELY WORTH EVERY CENT. GAS MILEAGE IS ABOVE AVERAGE 38 HIGHWAY 28 CITY. DESIGN IS MODERN AND NOT LIKE THE OLD ESCORTS. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FANCY GO SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE, IF YOUR LIMITED ON CASH AND LOOKING FOR A GOOD VALUE-THE ESCORT IT IS.