1999 Ford Escort Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )
Don't buy
By HC on 07/11/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I was the 3rd owner and bought this car for every day use. The car condition was considered “clean” and previous 2 owners kept excellent valid maintenance records. This is my first car so I stick tightly to check up schedule to reduce any mechanical problems. I got around 28-30 mpg highway and 18-21 mpg in town. There were many problems with this car. The biggest two were tranny and engine. This car sucked too much money form me. At ~94,000 miles the transmission slipped (after 20,000 miles used). Sometimes, it stuck at low gear and won’t shift up when I gassed it up or slipped, shift down and lost speed, very dangerous if it happens when I pass a car. I got it fixed. At ~130,000 miles, the

Practical and Reliable
By Paul on 07/10/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This car is very reliable, easy to fix, and exceptionally roomy for a compact car. I routinely haul my two dogs, child in car seat, wife, and luggage with ease. I've also pulled a pretty heavy trailer 1000 miles with the car. My only criticisms are that the seats are horribly uncomfortable. The car has very little power, but it is so reliable and practical that it has been a great car. I have 191k on mine and it still is running fine.

Good, reliable transportation
By ringo423 on 01/04/08 09:44 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Though somewhat vanilla, this car has been exceptionally reliable through the years. Good gas mileage and perfoms very well in all types of weather. Cabin fairly noisy on the highway

reliable ride but not fun to drive
By dem4life on 06/18/06 20:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Overall it has been a good, sturdy car. It rides very smoothly and has great visibility. Excellent turning radius and not bulky to drive. A few things to consider before you buy is that it is not made for a small person. The seats don't adjust higher and sit very low. Even with the steering wheel tilted as far down as possible I still feel like the air bag will explode in my face. It is very sluggish to accelerate. In the dark it is almost impossible to find where to put it in drive without putting the ceiling light on. Also, you can't get a CD player for less than $250 due to the integration of the radio and the other controls.

The Little Car that Could...
By Hbgguppy on 03/22/06 00:13 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my Escort in a pinch. I had just bought my first house and very quickly realized the expenses of home ownership. I traded in my Ford Expedition and bought my Escort, cutting my car payment in half. Having owned SUVs for years and years, I wanted another "full cabin on frame" vehicle. Nothing car be more frustrating than trying to wedge a book shelf in the back of a sedan in the IKEA parking lot. I soon fell in love with the "little car that could". 4 years later and I'm still attached to "Fred" as he's now known. I particularly enjoy the visibility while parallel parking and making fast lane changes during rush hour traffic. He's been a darn good car to me.

Escort great!
By fweenut on 06/29/05 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. The mileage has always been great and I have not had any major repairs that weren't covered by the warranty. Economical - Yes! Efficient - Yes! Would I buy it again? Yes!

Loved This Car
By JC on 12/14/04 15:52 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I loved this car. Bought it new and just after the warranty expired the air conditioner broke. Was about $300 to fix. One other thing went wrong about 6 months later that cost about the same. Other than that this is a great car. I swore I would never buy an Escort but this car was great. We totaled it last week when we hit a deer. I'd buy another but they don't make them anymore.

overall a great car...
By escort on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

The only problem I have had with this car is it stalls sometimes when I go from reverse to first gear or starting at first from a stop. The dealership claims they can't find the problem. I have been driving stick for 30 years, so I would expect I would have been able to adjust to this one, so I don't think it is me. Other than that, the car runs well. I have the oil changed every 3000 miles, despite the dealership stating it only needs it every 5000. Driving in Los Angeles pushes a car to its limits. I would buy another Escort/Focus, but would get an automatic.

Worst Lemon Ever Owned!
By Trent Mindeman on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I purchased this wagon after reviewing other buyers comments 2 years ago. My inlaws also have 2 wagons and have had great success. At 56,000 miles one front wheel bearing and the clutch went. 3,000 miles later the clutch went again and it was discovered that the transmission was leaking fluid into the clutch so we replaced the transmission. Now at 61,000 the car is surging on the highway and I have a 5 hour trip planned for this weekend. The mechanic looked it over good and found a cracked fan belt, broken rear spring, look tie rod end and the surging.... well it's definately the clutch.