Used 1999 Ford Escort SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

Don't buy
By HC

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I was the 3rd owner and bought this car for every day use. The car condition was considered “clean” and previous 2 owners kept excellent valid maintenance records. This is my first car so I stick tightly to check up schedule to reduce any mechanical problems. I got around 28-30 mpg highway and 18-21 mpg in town. There were many problems with this car. The biggest two were tranny and engine. This car sucked too much money form me. At ~94,000 miles the transmission slipped (after 20,000 miles used). Sometimes, it stuck at low gear and won’t shift up when I gassed it up or slipped, shift down and lost speed, very dangerous if it happens when I pass a car. I got it fixed. At ~130,000 miles, the

It has a lot of space comparable to SUV and doesn't break your bank for car insurance like SUV does.

Please, make a more reliable car. On the highway at night light form cars behind would blind you because the car was so low.

Practical and Reliable
By Paul

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This car is very reliable, easy to fix, and exceptionally roomy for a compact car. I routinely haul my two dogs, child in car seat, wife, and luggage with ease. I've also pulled a pretty heavy trailer 1000 miles with the car. My only criticisms are that the seats are horribly uncomfortable. The car has very little power, but it is so reliable and practical that it has been a great car. I have 191k on mine and it still is running fine.

Reliable engine, easy to fix, exceptionally roomy

No power, really uncomfortable seats.

Good, reliable transportation
By ringo423

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Though somewhat vanilla, this car has been exceptionally reliable through the years. Good gas mileage and perfoms very well in all types of weather. Cabin fairly noisy on the highway

Reliable

Cabin too noisy

reliable ride but not fun to drive
By dem4life

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Overall it has been a good, sturdy car. It rides very smoothly and has great visibility. Excellent turning radius and not bulky to drive. A few things to consider before you buy is that it is not made for a small person. The seats don't adjust higher and sit very low. Even with the steering wheel tilted as far down as possible I still feel like the air bag will explode in my face. It is very sluggish to accelerate. In the dark it is almost impossible to find where to put it in drive without putting the ceiling light on. Also, you can't get a CD player for less than $250 due to the integration of the radio and the other controls.

Keyless entry, power windows and locks, smooth and quiet ride, very reliable, great AC.

More acceleration! Adjustable seats, light up gears, easier to install CD player.

The Little Car that Could...
By Hbgguppy

1999 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my Escort in a pinch. I had just bought my first house and very quickly realized the expenses of home ownership. I traded in my Ford Expedition and bought my Escort, cutting my car payment in half. Having owned SUVs for years and years, I wanted another "full cabin on frame" vehicle. Nothing car be more frustrating than trying to wedge a book shelf in the back of a sedan in the IKEA parking lot. I soon fell in love with the "little car that could". 4 years later and I'm still attached to "Fred" as he's now known. I particularly enjoy the visibility while parallel parking and making fast lane changes during rush hour traffic. He's been a darn good car to me.

My favorite features are definitely my power windows, locks, mirrors and my keyless entry. It was a real joy to find a little car with all of those features.

The one thing I wish my Escort had was an additional dome light in the cargo area. It can be very, very dark back there when I'm trying to find something back there in a dark parking lot.